Thread: Texas Speed MS4 Cam ROCKS !!!

Wink Texas Speed MS4 Cam ROCKS !!!

What a difference for the money. I totally recommend the investment.
    It cost me:
    Cam = $374.99 (well not my Shop cost )
    Springs/ Push rods and spring retainers= $379.99
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b
    Vortech blown 5.3/air to water IC/finish line 4l80e/ stall / Running on E98 ethanol
    2008 Silverado- Vortech VL Twin screw supercharger. SEMA 2008 Vortec Engineering Booth

What are you putting that in???

my 02 ZO6 vette. Rips the skin of your face now.
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b
    Vortech blown 5.3/air to water IC/finish line 4l80e/ stall / Running on E98 ethanol
    2008 Silverado- Vortech VL Twin screw supercharger. SEMA 2008 Vortec Engineering Booth

Sorry, I just saw that post. Very nice!!!

Glad you are happy with it, but I have been quite disappointed with it as have many others I know. Poor/no low end performance and the top end is not impressive when compared to what you could have with a smaller (better designed) cam.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

I'm seeing typical big cam low end losses but the mid and top pulls as advertised.
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b

Senior Tuner
    Thunder Racings PatrickG should be the person EVERYONE contacts before making a cam selection. Fill out their custom grind sheet on his website, pay $25 to PatrickG, and he'll create a custom grind for you AND give you your $25 credit towards the puchase of the cam if you buy from Thunder Racing. THAT'S what I recommend to my customers. No off the shelf like the guy next to you in the staging lanes...individualized custom grind for each customer. Put your own name on it...lol
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    Thunder Racings PatrickG should be the person EVERYONE contacts before making a cam selection. Fill out their custom grind sheet on his website, pay $25 to PatrickG, and he'll create a custom grind for you AND give you your $25 credit towards the puchase of the cam if you buy from Thunder Racing. THAT'S what I recommend to my customers. No off the shelf like the guy next to you in the staging lanes...individualized custom grind for each customer. Put your own name on it...lol
    I dont recommend that anybody goes with a custom grind that they pick themselves unless they really know what they are doing...
    I have seen cams come out from there that sucked ass because somebody had no idea what they were ordering
    he doesnt take your idea of #'s and make them work...he grinds what you ask for....so you pick bad...you're stuck with bad...

you should always recommend standard off the shelf options that are proven cams for the normal person...
    if you get somebody that asks for a custom grind...then you should let them get the custom grind....but you better let them know that they need to know what they are doing...
    -Scott -

Patrick comes up with custom grind cams, you don't put in any kind of number for what you want, you tell him your setup and he goes from there. I have several buddies who went to him and are in love with their cams (and I think they were sized perfectly for their setup and desired results).

The big problem is all the nut huggers to sub-par cams just because the name and a certain company pimped out their cam to make it sound like the next best thing. A few people have seen the light and are finally switching for better results. There are a few out there like this that all these people claim is a great cam with this wide range of setups. If they actually had a good cam that was build more for their setup, they would see what they are missing
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Yeah, I bought the cam because of the name and the marketing.

Dude, I own a speed shop and am a reseller of HPT products. A customer requested the cam, we installed it and tuned it, it runs good. End of story.
    This is a stock Z06 with stock intake runner displacment as well as intake exhaust ports. Nothing special here. Pretty much what they design the cam around. The company does hold the N/A / stock bottom end record currently, so if they are making shit products, it's pretty fast shit.

As a professional, I make it a point not to envolve myself in personal grudge agendas against manufacturers as it is simplistic in nature. Not to mention, I'm sure HPT doesn't have the same opinion about TS since their products are used in conjunction with HPT, with great results.

Funny, I had a long conversation at SEMA with Jay from HPT about people abusing the forum and it's other <paid> users. I'm really amused by people who stab at every post just to push there numbers up and feel like they are something.

That being said, thanks for the constructive comments and the attention to thread.
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b

I wasn't directing any comments at you nor this cam in specific with my last post, if you re-read you will see it was a general comment. I also did not say EVERYONE does this, but you must admit that most do. I don't have a personal grudge, but if you knew some of the shady things done and the way they have treated customers, you would not be happy either

I didn't say it ran bad did I? IMO, just because someone has a record in an extremely light race car does not mean much about their business, but I am not here to argue what I think vs. what you think. I can think of several shops which had records in the past which now have lawsuits out on them. I state my opinion as you state yours, I don't understand why people can not accept others opinions. I never said you were wrong, just a difference in opinions.

I am not trying to push anything up and I am a paid member too

I just speak with what I know about this cam and what guys I know say about it. I know several who have run it, swapped to a less aggressive cam, went faster and made more power. There are a lot of people that do pick cam, like this (but not this one in specific), just because of the marketing. I post my comments to try and let people know there is more out there and they are leaving a lot on the table. Again, just my opinion so please do not get upset.

Same goes with tuning. People who are oblivious to what actually goes on praise some of these shops that put these horrible tunes in cars. Then when they come for a retune and feel like they are spraying a 50 shot and a cammed car CAN drive like stock, just from a correct tune, it wakes them up.

I don't have anything against you, your customer, or your reasons and I respect your right to YOUR opinion, as I wish you would also respect mine

Hey its cool, you post alot of great info and I respect that. I just thought you were refering to me as a "nut hugger".
    You know how it is man, sometimes people just come into the shop with a idea in their head and that's what they want. I had not used the cam before but was surprised how it ran despite all the comments about it. I was giving them a shout out given the horrible economy and all.
    Thanks for the cool response though and I apologise for my burn.
    Last edited by Blown; 03-06-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: misspelling
    2005 Chevy Crew Cab s/b

I hear ya, I was trying to be careful with it so you didn't think I was saying it about you, because it was just a general comment (and not meant really in a bad way)

I know guys that are all crazy about certain rear ends, heads, intakes, cams and this and that but they have no clue on why one thing is better than the other. Then they get all pissed off the first time they lose to something that is suppose to be "weaker" in their eyes, and the answer is always because they have no clue why they went with one thing over the other (other than "well LS1Tech had this post...") haha

Potential Tuner
    hi how is everyone doing new at this i just install the ms4 on my Z06 and having trouble with the tune any suggestions.

With a vague question like that, no. Details, we need details.....