Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tune after head and cam swap

New tune after head and cam swap

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to see if someone smarter then myself wouldn't mind donating a minuet of their time to take a look at my tune and see if you notice anything I may have missed or possibly messed up on.

I just added a few things on my '01 Camaro, I went from full bolt-ons to a set of Trickflow CNC'd 215cc heads and a custom grind 235/243* 62x/.62x" 112lsa cam and a ported 90mm fast intake so my tune was way off. I used what little bit I have learned about tuning as well as looking at my buddies tune as a guideline for my starter tune. I guess I did something right because it starts and catches idle. but going into gear will sometimes stall it and it hunts for idle coming off a rev. I went for a small drive and besides the response of the new found power (which was WOW :devil: ) it doesnt fill totally crisp. was told that might be due to the fast intake??

As extensive as this tune needs to be Im not confident I could get it done without a little help and guidance from you guys. I have a wideband, Im just not sure where to start. it seems like the couple of the guides I found have been deemed outdated info, so if someone wanted to help me out with the procedure it would be much appreciated.

Mods include:

TFS215 heads
    235/243* 620x/.623" 112+4lsa cam
    FAST 90mm intake stage 1 porting
    TPIS 90mm TB
    stock MAF (I know, I know)
    pacesetter headers
    TSP true duals
    ASP pulley
    YT rockers

built 4l60e
    ProTorque 2,800 stall
    Stock 3.23 gears

Also, anyone know where to start with all these DTC's im throwing? haha
    [PCM] P0122 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Pending) (Immature)
    [PCM] P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected (SES) (Pending) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
    [PCM] P1122 - Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent Low Voltage (Pending) (History) (Immature)
    [Brake] U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (History)
    [Brake] C0237 - Rear Wheel Speed Signal Erratic (Current)
    [Brake] C0240 - (Current)
    [Restraints] U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (History) (Immature)
    [Restraints] U1016 - Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM (History) (Immature)
    [Restraints] U1096 - Loss of Communications with IPC (History) (Immature)

I just went from full bolt-ons to a set of TFS215's and a custom grind 235/243* 62x/.62x" 112lsa and a ported 90mm fast so my tune was way off. I used what little bit I have learned about tuning as well as looking at my buddies tune as a guideline for my starter tune. I guess I did something right because it starts and catches idle. but going into gear will stall it out and it hunts for idle coming off a small rev. I went for a small drive and besides the response of the new found power (which was WOW :devil: ) it doesnt fill totally crisp.

Mods include:

TFS215 heads
    235/243* 620x/.623" 112+4lsa cam
    FAST 90mm intake stage 1 porting
    TPIS 90mm TB
    30# SVO Red top injectors
    stock MAF (I know, I know)
    pacesetter headers
    TSP true duals
    ASP pulley
    YT rockers

built 4l60e
    ProTorque 2,800 stall
    Stock 3.23 gears

Heres the tune im on and an idle scan as it was warming up as well a drive scan.

Thanks again
    '01 SOM Camaro SS A4, PAT G 235/243 .621/.624 112+4, TEA TFS215's, NX MAF kit, Ported FAST 90 plumbed for DP, Nick Williams TB, SVO Red tops, Pacesetters, TSP true duals, Built tranny, SLP Lid, 2,800 protorque converter, HPT pro
    on a 100 shot before heads and cam
    [email protected] 1.64 60'

Tuner in Training
    With all those codes, I would check your grounds first, especially the one behind the heads, then check battery and starter connections. After cleaning all your grounds, report back with any codes. About the tune, first place to start would be getting your IFR correct...
    Last edited by golfinz; 03-02-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
    With all those codes, I would check your grounds first, especially the one behind the heads, then check battery and starter connections. After cleaning all your grounds, report back with any codes. About the tune, first place to start would be getting your IFR correct...
    I'll double check the grounds on the head, I made a conscious point to make sure they were strapped down before I put on the intake etc...
    I'll get back in there and confirm

As far as the IFR is should be correct? I used the spreadsheet to redo the table.it reads as follows

34.64162706 34.85752419 35.07209232 35.2853557 35.49733784 35.70806157 35.91754903 36.12582173 36.33290055 36.5388058 36.74355721 36.94717396 37.14967471 37.3510776 37.55140031 37.75066003 37.9488735

is that wrong for the 30# SVO red tops(about 36#ers with ls1 fuel pressure)?
    '01 SOM Camaro SS A4, PAT G 235/243 .621/.624 112+4, TEA TFS215's, NX MAF kit, Ported FAST 90 plumbed for DP, Nick Williams TB, SVO Red tops, Pacesetters, TSP true duals, Built tranny, SLP Lid, 2,800 protorque converter, HPT pro

Senior Tuner
    Was vehicle previously tuned for the stall coverter?
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    Was vehicle previously tuned for the stall coverter?
    yes sir, I believe so, it wasnt done by me but changes have been made to the trans settings. the previous owner of the car said his friend was a beta tester for HPT back in the day and tuned the car for him(also said that guy now works for HPT, not sure who it was didnt ask names at the time). im not sure how well the tune is but it always seemed to work pretty well as the car ran better times then were normal for the mods. there are a bunch of weird things in the original tune that im not sure how to deal with. first its was/is on a custom HP 1bar SD OS and still uses the MAF. being a new tuner I dont have the foggiest what to start on with that OS.

Tuner in Training
    Well to confirm you are in SD...set the maf fail hz to 0 and DTC to fail on first error, with no SES (uncheck the box)...if you do this you will get a p0103 which confirms you are in SD
    Last edited by golfinz; 03-03-2009 at 12:51 PM.

I read where a long duration high lift cam can throw a misfire code and that changes to misfire diagnostic tables often need to be made. from driving and listening to the car I have yet to noticed any hesitation or stuttering etc to indicate that it is actually missing. is there a guideline to scaling the tables?

Im guessing this may also be why you asked about the torque converter, I forgot to add that I did previously ever so offten have an issue of the TC unlocking randomly which I attributed to the misfire test.

Set the maf fail hz to 0 and DTC to fail on first error, with no SES (uncheck the box)...if you do this you will get a p0103 which confirms you are in SD
    Thanks for the help, is the only differance with the 1 bar SD OS that it has a VE multiplier vs. RPM vs. TSP table? mines set to 1.00 across the board so i guess its not being used either. I guess i might as well be on a factory OS huh?

Tuner in Training
    That and the ability to have both the High and Low Octane Spark table support

That and the ability to have both the High and Low Octane Spark table support
    and it gets rid of the secondary VE on vehicles that had a secondary VE

plus the ability to do Real Time Tuning on many OS's
    -Scott -

OK, so I played with the misfire diag tables and adjusted both idle tables and now my Misfire codes are gone.
    I also did some reading on the TPS codes and found a post on LS1tech, I adjusted my blade set screw opened a little more and now the TPS codes are gone as well.

while doing this I logged for the cold start which was terrible, I had to keep reving and it died 3-4+ times before i finialy got it to somewhat catch. it ran really rough shaking the car until it warmed up a little then the idle cleared up and it ran smooth.

heres a copy of the scan, with WB02. I dont have the initial start or first 3-4 restarts because it lost connection and couldn't reacquire for some reason. this is start, warm up, cruise around the neighborhood to see if the misfire codes pop up, 2second WOT(blew the tires off, but AFR looked good).

whats would cause it to run terrible cold and good with a little temperature?

thanks to everyone who has helped so far!

OLFA is most likely your issue....probably pig rich when cold
    I would also changed the ECT spark adder as typically it does some bad things with a cammed car if you leave that table completely stock

I made those suggested changes to your file and reposted it...
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    I would also changed the ECT spark adder as typically it does some bad things with a cammed car if you leave that table completely stock

Thanks a lot, Im actually on my way out the door for work, but i will try it first thing when i get home in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post

I cant open open the file for some reason??? it says "Unable to open file, Index was outside the bounds of the array" whatever that means?

Quote Originally Posted by SS8UUP View Post
    I cant open open the file for some reason??? it says "Unable to open file, Index was outside the bounds of the array" whatever that means?
    made this up yesterday and forgot to post it for you.

Your startup airflow (and delay/decay) are stock as well as your OLFA.

I see SoundEngineer updated it overnight as well. If he left the startup air tables OEM, you may want to copy over the tables I modified using compare. I touched the OLFA just a bit as well.

I will say that your VE looks VERY low around idle. If the car is lean there, it will show up as 'pedal hesitation' or a tiny stumble rather than revving right up when you touch the throttle when in OL (just after startup).
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    made this up yesterday and forgot to post it for you.

Your startup airflow (and delay/decay) are stock as well as your OLFA.

I see SoundEngineer updated it overnight as well. If he left the startup air tables OEM, you may want to copy over the tables I modified using compare. I touched the OLFA just a bit as well.

I will say that your VE looks VERY low around idle. If the car is lean there, it will show up as 'pedal hesitation' or a tiny stumble rather than revving right up when you touch the throttle when in OL (just after startup).
    Thank you, after yesterdays issues I let it cool down, adjusted the throttle blade set screw a tad more, modifided the lid base to allow more air in. and what do you know, using your tune it started right up caught idle and stayed running. with that milestone completed its on to fine tuning the other details. like idle AFR. at startup its at around 13.9-14.0 then it richens up some to 13.6-13.7 for a short bit before totally leaning out to over 15.0 and higher for some reason.

I let it warm fully up to operating temps and Im noticing that once its warms and gets into the 15.+ idle AFRs it doesnt run as smooth at all.

I guess i need to adj the VE first and for most don't I? can this be done accurately with RTT? Im actually not sure how to use the RTT function, I watched the demo but didnt grasp it.

anyways thanks for all the help that has been given.

Here is a scan from todays cold start and warm up.

~Stuart

It's been opened up too much, your IAC is fully closed once warm. You want your IAC counts in the 45-65 range at hot idle. You can also see idle correction really pulling spark down to get the RPMs down to commanded. Go ahead and raise your VE about 10% at least up to 1600 RPMs. Get the IAC counts in line, put the car in SD and dig into some VE tuning
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    It's been opened up too much, your IAC is fully closed once warm. You want your IAC counts in the 45-65 range at hot idle. You can also see idle correction really pulling spark down to get the RPMs down to commanded. Go ahead and raise your VE about 10% at least up to 1600 RPMs. Get the IAC counts in line, put the car in SD and dig into some VE tuning
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate the insite.
    I'll get on that and see how it goes.

your spark overspeed and underspeed tables are kind of backwards too...
    you want more in the underspeed to kick the RPM back up and less in the overspeed to keep it from kicking it back down too far

with whatever OLFA table you used...his or mine...
    leave that one in...its close now...
    always log AFR error too...need it to be able to plot it in any tables and it doesnt take up a PID
    then you need to log commanded AFR as well...

honestly there never a time when I dont have Commanded and error logging....knowing the fuel is close will help...

when you get to the point of actually having the right amount of air for idle...and seeing IAC counts around 60~80ish (45~60 is a little too low hot) then you need to do the Idle Airflow table again...start with about the stock values plus about 20% to start...
    you should also see that about 26-28* timing will be about right at idle for your cam
    in gear and P/N should be the same...will make it much easier to tune as well
    same goes for your target idle speeds which I think you already did...AC on 25-50 rpm higher
    Last edited by S2H; 03-05-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    -Scott -

You two guys are great, I can't thank you enough.

your suggestion to add 10% was awesome, I added the 10% to the VE at idle and now its pretty close to right on with commanded AFR. I closed the TB blade, it took a couple tries to get it right but the IAC counts are up to around 65-70ish now.
    Idle timing has been raised. It starts on the first turn of the key and quickly catches idle and stays running. it both sounds and feels much smoother during warm up.

Im going to start tuning for VE tomorrow when i get home from work in the morning!