Thread: Licensing & SD issue

Licensing & SD issue

First: I connected to this car(01 camaro w/ 3 bar SD tune already in it), downloaded the file off the pcm, and it prompted me to license the car. So I did(and used up 2 credits). I made the changes I wanted to make, and tried writing to the pcm...It said the pcm was unlicensed and wanted me to use another 2 credits. What's the problem?

Second: The same PCM currently has a 3 bar tune in it. The car is changed back to mostly stock, no longer turbo, and now has the factory 1 bar MAP again. I tried to change it back to the 1-bar MAF setup, but all the options for OS's are unable to be clicked. Why won't it let me select any OS?

Do I need to use another 2 credits to be given the option to switch between the Operating System styles?

Also, is this why I can't write to the PCM? Because it's still a 3-bar SD tune and I only used 2 credits for the standard license?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    A single vcm license with a vcm enhancement(custom operating system) requires 4 credits to license so this is normal.

You can't apply a different custom os to a file thats already been converted, you need to have the stock operating system from the vehicle to apply a different vcm enhancement to it.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    A single vcm license with a vcm enhancement(custom operating system) requires 4 credits to license so this is normal.

You can't apply a different custom os to a file thats already been converted, you need to have the stock operating system from the vehicle to apply a different vcm enhancement to it.

-Bill
    So is there any way I can use a stock tune from an 01 camaro(from the repository), and do a write entire to the PCM to get it back to stock specs? Or do I have to have the dealer re flash it?

so you dont waste credits make your Linear 94.43 and offset as 10.33
    then you can leave the 3 bar OS in..and run it as 1bar..(assuming you put back in the 1 bar MAP sensor)

you can pull down a stock tune from the repositry and copy the values from it into your current file...dont write a tune from the repository...just copy the stuff to your existing file...you can use the compare calibration details window to do a fast "copy over differences" so you dont have to manually do each table 1 at a time
    Last edited by S2H; 03-08-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: corrected linear and offset values for 1bar MAP
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    so you dont waste credits make your Linear 94.43 and offset as 10.33
    then you can leave the 3 bar OS in..and run it as 1bar..(assuming you put back in the 1 bar MAP sensor)

you can pull down a stock tune from the repositry and copy the values from it into your current file...dont write a tune from the repository...just copy the stuff to your existing file...you can use the compare calibration details window to do a fast "copy over differences" so you dont have to manually do each table 1 at a time
    Well it seems I'm gonna have to use two more credits if I want to be able to write to this computer.

That's why I'm wondering if we have a stock tune flashed into the computer at the dealership, will the 2 credit license(the standard one) still work? Then it would be a stock OS and not the enhanced.
    Last edited by S2H; 03-08-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: corrected linear and offset values for 1bar MAP

Quote Originally Posted by b00sted View Post
    Well it seems I'm gonna have to use two more credits if I want to be able to write to this computer.

That's why I'm wondering if we have a stock tune flashed into the computer at the dealership, will the 2 credit license(the standard one) still work? Then it would be a stock OS and not the enhanced.
    it shouldnt cost you anything extra..you already said you licensed it...and spent 2 credits...you need to spend 2 credits for the SD license
    if you want to write a stock OS you are still going to have to spend the other 2 credits...
    so either way its gonna be 2 credits...
    personally I would rather leave in the 3bar OS...spend my 2 credits there...and then I have the ability to do RTT and SD

Not all the OS's have the MAF hard coded out...so it may still be fully functional(ask [email protected] )
    if the MAF is still fully functional in that OS then you can still use it

and I almost forgot....it wont cost you anything other than those 2 credits...
    but a dealer reflash will cost some cash on top of it....I think a buddy of mine paid about $100 for a dealer reflash once(dont know if its still the same $$$ or if what yours charges...may be more..may be less)
    -Scott -

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Dealer won't be able to flash over a pcm that has a HPTuners custom operating system installed in it.

Ok so I need to spend the two extra credits so I can write to the PCM, and then just use a compare file to get it back to where I need it to be(close to stock since it's now just a bolt-on ls1 again.

Bill, regarding the MAF, will I be able to get it functional again with the 3-bar OS? Or is it completely gone from the code like soundengineer hypothesized?

I didnt say it was gone...
    I said some custom OS's had it coded out and I didnt know which ones that had been done to...

remember to set the MAP Liner to 94.43 and the offset to 10.33
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer View Post
    I didnt say it was gone...
    I said some custom OS's had it coded out and I didnt know which ones that had been done to...

remember to set the MAP Liner to 94.43 and the offset to 10.33
    That's why I said hypothesized. Because you were making an educated guess that the MAF could possibly be permanantly removed from the OS's code...Whih is why I asked him if that were the case.

Thanks for the info regarding the MAP. At least this way I can get it running so it can make the short trip to get the rest of the exhaust installed. Maybe we'll just keep it SD. The only reason he wanted the MAF again was because we were considering putting a dry kit on the car...But now it's sounding like he wants to just sell it to put the cash towards the race car(http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...45826_2847.jpg)
    Last edited by b00sted; 03-08-2009 at 11:24 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    If you want to go back to maf your best bet is to have the previous tuner put the stock os back into the pcm & reread. This route will cost you the least amount of credits in the end.

Well, he's just gonna sell the car so we're just gonna keep the 3-bar OS in it instead of trying to chase down the guy that originally tuned the car with this OS 3 years ago.