Thread: What is your project car?

What is your project car?

well.. heres my 2..
    the main toy is a 93 cavalier with a 2.2
    Why bother you ask? Well.. I have built many v8 vegas and i thought the cavy looked kinda similar.. after checking the engine bay, chassis and rear suspension it looked like a fairly easy swap...

then I saw Fast and the Furious...

About that same time I watched ESPN2 having import drags and saw a 10 sec pass.. i thought 'not bad for an 1/8th mile'
    OOPS!! that was a 1/4 mile!! and it was all motor!
    So when I came to I decided that since i spent weekends tuning a 4cyl midget sprint car that I too could easily reach 10's.. see what happens when I start thinking?
    Well.. having DIS and PFI is whats stopping me from putting in my killer pistons/rods/block/cam although I have the ported head on already. Thats the main reason why I even bothered trying to learn all this ECM hacking stuff..

Project #2 is our sprint. After being DOMINATED by Ray Evernhams dodge motors this year we scoured the rulebook.. it would seem there is no rule if your injection is mechanical or electronic. Since we will never have the HP or the engineering powerhouse that the dodges have.. we are thinking maybe we can sneak in some other advantage. After all Keith Kuhns is only human and he tunes for WOT. If we can get a part throttle advantage we may be able to win a few more races. At least if they are last lap restarts!
    Thats my side project..

So what are your toys? Whats in them.. and why are they all faster than mine!!!! ;D

Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Potential Tuner

Re: What is your project car?

i have a 97 z28 with an lt1 and a 1970 chevy c10 pickup with a 402 big block in it.
    hey! another guy who use to build v8 vegas! my old man and me used to build them in the late 70's early 80's when they were cheap and plenifull. shoot i have been scrounging around looking for a decent vega body to put a lt1 in.
    also reason evyone else is faster is due to cubic inches ;D
    reason i have my built 402 bb truck is to make all the 4th gen camaro owners cry. even though i am a 4th gen owner myself,but around here a lot of them are young and have never driven a powerfull car before. so hence they think they are road gods or something,also another reason for me wanting to build another v8 vega,or notch back monza.

Tuner in Training

66 Nova just bought Has a C 4 corvette supp. front and rear.fellow spend 20,000. I guess ran out of $ or lost interest. I bought for 1/3 .Have 2 ls1 I bought was going to put in my 55 chev. When I saw this nova that already had the c 4 stuff,I thought it would be perfect for it. Been a eng. builder by trade.I have resleeve it to 4.155 bore 4in. callies Crank.I got one of their first,been a warehouse dealer for them.got the 6.0 heads same as Z06.Was going to go with Fast,or acell ecm.Playing with the 730 ecm about 3 yr. and money GM has spend on driveably you would never get with aftermarket.Plus it is fun for me.

I done the Vega thing too,twice. thought about doing a 90 to 92 Olds cutlass with a 350 it has room.would be a Kool ride.

Hated to do it sold the 55

Lee

Potential Tuner

1994 3.4L V6 Camaro

Its eventually going to undergo a rebuild and go forced induction and I would like to be able to do custom tuning through the PCM.

It just so happens I have a b*stard PCM that very few people have even thought about hacking so I'm kinda starting from scratch.

Potential Tuner

a 96 2.4L sunfire. also a 87 fiero pretty soon.

-Dusty-
    \"Think of Life After the Jump\" -Dustin Hardy-

97 3.8 Firebird.

Right now its more like a 97 firebird frame with a 3.8 engine. I got the sucker down to ~2900 lb's. Still have to pull the carpet, air bags, ABS and put in the light weight battery.. then buy a fiberglass hood. I'd love for the car to weigh 2800 LBS and have a raceweight under 3000.

- Keith
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training

They're all projects

I'm currently working on making my 93 eldorado more drivable with more power. I also have an 88 monte carlo SS that I have intention of experimenting with the CCC carb to see what it can be made to do.

John

Tuner

Right now its a 2000 Impala with a 3.8 .
    I supercharged it (~15#), intercooled it, dropped in a shift kit.
    I have to find a way to make it lighter though.

My second and upcoming project is an '88 VW Cabriolet. It has over 110k on it and burns a bunch of oil. I am thinking of putting a basic GM 3.8 in it (mostly because I have one and a tranny for it laying i my shed)... not sure if the frame can handle it w/o breaking like a twig though

Old project was a '67 Chevelle. My father found it upside down in a field with no engine, tranny, rear end or interior. We have sense put in a GTO interior.. started with a 305 and 700R4 tranny. Then went with a 350 4 bolt with shaved heads and forged pistons. It now sits in my father's garage all painted cherry red metallic. No PCM in that.. I LOVE THAT! Want it rich.. just play with the Carb or rejet. Want to change the timing.. turn the Distributor or mess with the vacuum advance. I miss those days.
    &&-=#Determined to figure out the PCM in my 2k Impala#=-&&http://www.lynoise.com

Potential Tuner

i have a 1989 buick lesabre T-TYPE. this car weight about 3100lbs. i install a 1998 3800 series II supercharge (L67) with the 4T65-E tranny. the car runs very good, but now i am looking to get the car into the high 11`s and keep it all street. i have a brand new re-build motor ,with ported heads ,remove balance shaft, ported supercharger (S/C). the tranny was re-build with all Raybestos clutches and the gear ration was change to 3.29:1. i am still trying to hack the computer, cause the S/C is running a 3 inch pulley (12psi).
    BLA BLA BLA,

Potential Tuner

whatever i have on some level. i play off and on with 5 fieros and a '74 corvette. trying to also pick up an s10 blazer ('84-'94 type. had one before and liked it).

as pertains to this board one of the fieros, either an '87 coupe or '87 conv. i'd like as a possibility a 3800sc seriesII engine. i'm getting most of my learning from here...

www.fiero.nl

but i figure this has the potential to be a good sourse also.

this board just got posted there so don't be surprised to find a gang of fiero owners checking out the place. lots of interest in engine swaps there.

&&&&

2000 Pontiac GTP (???)
    1986 Buick GN (11.38 @ 122.7)

I run a SpeedPro with a wideband in the GN now. Haven't been back to the track since '97.

Potential Tuner

well should be cars and "stuff :
    86 Rx7, was 355sbc, custom intake 730, (12.00@118mph) Daily driver, now going 468 alum BBC
    91 F350 super duty crew cab long box 4x4....12:1, cast iron head, 392 cid 351w 730 as well
    19' bekley jet boat 520 cu BBF, 730, MPFI, 675hp, 110mph
    91 Safari, 355, 11:1 twin tbi 747's (but they talk to each other
    to bo dynoed ......(hopefully i can get to it next week.. :-/

finally #5
    96 k1500, 406 vortec. which is why i am here. need info and help to change fuel and spark tables
    mike

Potential Tuner

The original project - '91 GMC Syclone - runs solid 11.8x consistently and remains a daily driver (actually gets 21mpg). Was my introduction into "chipping" and modifying with larger injectors, 3 bar conversion, so on and so forth......will always be a project .

The new project - '64 Chevy II Nova - has vortec 355 stroker (~ 650-700hp) in it now, but will possibly be getting snatched for a spare SyTy engine (4.3L turbo). Still debating options, but nice to have a 600+hp street rod at the same time ;D

Michael Hood
    '91 GMC Syclone #1596
    '64 Chevy II Nova
    GAST
    www.georgiasyty.com

Advanced Tuner

Can you guess I do Fieros.

Yes I install the 3.8 SuperCharge engines in Fieros. Right now most are running either a GPS or DHP PCM. I want to tune one myself some day.

I use to do V8 Vega's with Don Hardy's kits. I lived in Childress 60 miles from Floyda where Don was located.

See my website for a choice of 40 Fieros I have on hand at all times seems like.

http://www.fastfieros.com

Thanks for this forum, hope it can grow.

Loyde

Potential Tuner

ours is a black 2000 Z28 LS1
    added slp air lid & K/N,loudmouth,SLP maf & bellows,ram air kit and a hyper-tech programmer
    bfg T/As on the road. totaly illegal window tint
    "the black hole" race me at secret-street at calgarys
    race city fridays tech at 6:00 Pm

Tuner in Training

I have a couple projects right now.
    First is my 1985 GMC Jimmy, that I have built a 3.2L hybrid engine for that is turbocharged and intercooled, sort of my "Mini- typhoon"

For pics: www.domesticcrew.com/raven/James

My other long term project is "The Raven" a 1987 Pontiac Sunbird GT, that is being completly rebuilt with a V6 and Turbo(s), full cage, full chassis upgrades, and something things I'd like to keep to myself at this point. :P

For pics of the slow progress: http://www.domesticcrew.com/raven/Raven/

nova; I am also ineterested in doing something with the 3.4 SFI PCM, at some point in teh not too distant future, once I get my bearings on this stuff we could swap info.
    The Raven: Under Construction&&\"James\" 3.2L turbocharged intercooled hybrid, GM Performance cam, custom headers, MPFI, more to come.&&&&\"Speed costs, How fast do you want to go?\"

Tuner in Training

#1 65 Nova hardtop full Alston tube chassis Mickey Thompson 19.5's, 5.00 geared, 35 spline Lenco Locker, 9 inch, 4500 Coan S/S, Transbrake TH400, LS-7 454, W/ full roller valvetrain, MSD 7AL, cranktrigger, King Demon, Dart intake, A-arm car, Willwood in all corners, etc.. etc.. Still Needs to be finnished plumbing, body and tin work now.

#2 70 Nova SS 396 Clone. w/ 402 from 71 Chevelle, TH400, 4.10 12 bolt runs good I did the entire front suspension last fall.

#3 My Daily Driver 97 Z28 30th anniversary Camaro that really needs to get to the track now that I installed a Moser 12 bolt and I can ruin slicks. Best time was 13.4 @102 w/ bolt-ons.

Potential Tuner

1989 Z24 with a rebuilt block, 1995 3100 pistons and crank, 1998 3400 heads and top end. Just looking for a solid low-mid 14 sec all motor cavy, but then again, who isn't?
    1990 Z24 - stock&&1989 Z24- 3.1/3400 hybrid soon to be tuned by owner