Thread: Not shifting at WOT

Tuner

2/3 upshift/downshift wot update

I have a well known ls1 tech sponsor tranny in my car. I spoke with them today they seem to think it might be a issue in the tune but i'm not so sure since its been fine till now. I am trying to get some ideas of what to try.
    Heres my problem. WOT 1-2 shifts sometimes happen and sometimes the car wont shift at all. When it does decide to shift the car hesitates to shift for a second or 2. Currently the car will NOT shift 2-3 at wot....just sits on the limiter. When making a pull everything feels solid it just wont shift at wot. The car shifts fine at part throttle & all the gears are present. 4th gear overdrive and lockup are working great on the highway.
    Heres what i've done. I've drained the fluid and changed the fluid/filter. There was nothing in the pan & and the fluid looked fine. I have HP tuners. I've lowered my wot shift rpm table from 6800 down to 5900 and it still wont make a wot shift that low on the 2-3. It's been in the car maybe ~4 months. Any help would be appreciated
    Oh and also when I lean on the car its always in 3 or D

The first log is a trans log of it not shifting 1/2
    2nd is a wot pull where it hesitated but did shift
    3rd is the tune
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Silver2002ta; 07-18-2009 at 03:38 PM.
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am - 1000+ rwhp street car

Tuner
    So I just did some more logging. In this pull the car pulls through 1st gear fine and shifts into 2nd fine. It pulls great through 2nd gear at some point the car went into 3rd gear according to the datalog then it went right back to 2nd gear and never came out. Once I lifted the car went back to 3rd gear. This is really bugging me!

Potential Tuner
    Did you adjust part throttle shift speeds.

Full throttle and Part throttle shift speeds should mirror one another.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blaque phantom View Post
    Did you adjust part throttle shift speeds.

Full throttle and Part throttle shift speeds should mirror one another.
    If there is one thing I've learned about these transmissions so far, its that they have too many double numbers that do the same thing, and if those numbers don't match, the trans turns retarded and doesn't know what to do.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by almostfast View Post
    If there is one thing I've learned about these transmissions so far, its that they have too many double numbers that do the same thing, and if those numbers don't match, the trans turns retarded and doesn't know what to do.
    Lol, speaking of double numbers, the upshift and down shift speeds must also be 5 mph apart. For example, if upshift speed for 1st to 2nd gear is 35mph, then downshift for 1st to 2nd must be 30.

Your WOT & PT shift speed table values are way too high.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post

Russ Kemp
    What would you recommend changing them to?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post

Russ Kemp
    Russ I think I see what table you are talking about I dont think i've ever messed with it honestly. Are we talking about the WOT shift speed "HOT" table? If this is what would you recommend me trying? The car has 3.89 gears in it with a 9".

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I will look into this Bill but my deal is the car did shift 2/3 from what the data log showed but I personally couldnt feel it. It shows the car shifting from 2 to 3 at WOT then the log shows the car back into 2nd gear when it should be in 3rd. Is this the same thing?

Tuner
    Well heres an update! I went into the part throttle and wot throttle shift speed tables and put the mph in the car was shifting at between gears from other logs of mine. It seems to be making a perfect 1/2 2/3 wot shift now ON MOTOR. My question now is why in the hell would my tables in my tune before worked perfect for 4 months untill now??????? That really bothers me! Im gonna have to do some more tweaking and see if it shifts right on nitrous tomorrow. Another question. Why in the part throttle shift speed table does it go all the way to 100%?
    Heres a couple logs. Also I noticed the force line pressure % isnt jumping all over the place between shifts like the last logs