Thread: Stoich AFR

Tuner in Training

Stoich AFR

I was going to start tuning and was looking to try and find what number the computer uses to calculate fuel? I know that it shows it in the LS2 Vette is 14.67822, but is there a spot to find that in Hptuner for a 2000 WS6?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    same spot, engine-fuel control-general I think the tab is.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I only see decay delay, decay step, decay multi and initial adder vs. ECT, initial adder vs. IAT

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its there. Maybe you have your editor set to beginner or something
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    WOW newb just got owned. I feel like a jackass Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    if your runing gas with ethanol in it, make sure you change it accordingly

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by carlrx7 View Post
    if your runing gas with ethanol in it, make sure you change it accordingly
    14.1 or 14.13 are the stoich values frequently posted for e 10
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

WAIT WHAT? so afr for 10% eth is 14.1? so on my little turbo car I'm running 12.5... should I be at 12.0 or 11 something?? All our pumps are 93 oct. with 10% eth.

Advanced Tuner
    alls i can say is learn to tune using Lambda.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by carlrx7 View Post
    alls i can say is learn to tune using Lambda.
    Exactly!
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Senior Tuner
    What benefit is there in setting the stoich value? Mainly, what does it do? Does it offset the VE table (or VE coeficients in later PCMS)?

It's used for the fuel calcuations. all the AFR(Lambda) settings are based off of this stoich value. So at wide open throttle if you're commanding a 0.85 lambda reading using E10 with stoich values for 93 octane. You will actually be running leaner than the WOT command.
    12.47AFR compared to the 11.98AFR that you are commanding.
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!

Which goes back to what carlrx7 is saying. Learn to tune using Lambda and things get alot easier when it comes to tuning with different fuels.
    AAHHHHH!!!!!!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tramotorsports View Post
    It's used for the fuel calcuations. all the AFR(Lambda) settings are based off of this stoich value. So at wide open throttle if you're commanding a 0.85 lambda reading using E10 with stoich values for 93 octane. You will actually be running leaner than the WOT command.
    12.47AFR compared to the 11.98AFR that you are commanding.
    That's what I was thinking, basically, it's stoich divided by PE for WOT commanded AFR. As well, it offsets the MAF/VE calcs for closed loop.

Keep in mind, stoich will be at switching voltage on the O2 sensors no matter what the fuel composition and resulting AFR is. Meaning, if 10% alcohol fuel has stoich at 14.3 AFR, then the trims will eventually adjust themselves to produce this if the stoich value is left at 14.7, only WOT AFR will still be 14.7/PE.

So, in effect, it matters not where the stoich value is set if you do a closed loop MAF/VE tune and then adjust PE for max power (where ever that happens to occur at). The only thing that would be effected is commanded AFR may differ from the actual AFR that makes the most power at WOT/PE.

Basically, if you do a complete closed loop tune and then adjust PE for the best power on the fuel you run, then you change the stoich number while running the same fuel you tuned on, you will have to retune to get the same WOT power with the corrected values.

My point being, either change the number before you tune...or ignore it completely and you are ok, but change it after you tune and you will have to retune.