Thread: V-8 to 2002 S-10 Blazer Engine swap

Potential Tuner

V-8 to 2002 S-10 Blazer Engine swap

Don't know where to ask this ? so thought I would start here...has anyone swapped a newer v8(5.2or LS eng) into an S-10 style Chev Blazer ? Any thoughts or ideas welcome...am in the research process for this mod...thanks...Barry

actually i have. i have a 99 s10 blazer with a 6.0 out of an 01 2500Hd any questions i would probably know the answer

Potential Tuner

v8 Blazer swap

Hello ! I have lots of questions...lol ! I have a 2002 Blazer 4x4...love the body style and its off road manners HATE the 4.3 v6 ! Want good ole v8 power. Was thinking of a 5.2 l v8 w the comp and wire harness for same... ?will the trans work(4l60)? different EFI systems? need the comp and forward ECM harness ? DO I have to fab an oil pan to retain the 4 wheel drive ? Radiator and elec fan setup ? etc...... Were there any major mechanical fit probs for your swap ? headers ? fuel and brakelines ? What did you do with the fuel pump/tank ? Thanks for the help ! Barry

Well I'm not really familiar with a 5.2...do you mean 5.3? Well in my swap with the 6.0 I used the 4L60e. I had to have a segment swap to control the 4L60e. The tranny also had to be built up because I smoked it in the first week. As far as the headers, s10v8.com sells custom ones and conversion mounts for the LS series motor. As far as the oil pan goes I was able to retain the stock truck pan because I no longer have the independent front suspension. I went to a solid front axle. For your swap, you will need a special oil pan which I believe s10v8.com sells as well, or you can custom build your own. For cooling, I used an older Camaro performance radiator, a late 80s early 90s I think? I had to run electric fans, The engine sits much farther forward than the stock v6 leaving no clearance for a clutch fan. For wiring, the stock 6.0 harness plug was able to be used after switching the pins around. It plugged right into the stock distribution box. The stock fuel pump and tank worked fine. The fuel pump has plenty of output for the v8. The fuel lines just attached without problems. I have all the wiring diagrams for the blazer that you would need. The only problem that I ran across was the anti-theft system which had to be disabled via HP tuners. Engine fit well without any trimming of anything, but I no longer have room for the AC.
    any other questions lemme know

Potential Tuner

v8 Blazer swap

Thanks so much for all the info...makes it so much easier to task out and choose !After doing some research I am leaning towards the 6.0 L Also...the trans seems to be the largest prob...can you add more info with how you are controlling yours ? did you have to fab mounts for the eng ? It sounds like a snappy combo...whats it feel like ? ! Barry

well the motor mounts i purchased through s10v8.com they were adjustable forward, backwards, up and down which allowed me to place my tranny mount in the original spot on the original crossmember so i didn't have to fab anything there just adjust to where i needed it. the tranny is controlled by the original 6.0 harness the plugs were identical so it just plugged right into my 4l60e the only problem was the computer was set to control a 4l80e so in order to make it work i had to have a segment swap via hp tuners which changed the operating system in the computer to control my 4l60e. The 4l60e is much lighter and fits nicer but has to be built up to handle the additional torque. it also allows for the use of the original transfer case. The combination turned out to be a very quick i am definately satisified with the power that the 6.0 puts out it definately throws you in the back of your seat.

Potential Tuner

6.0 liter

Sounds exactly like what I want ! Who did the mods to your 4L60 trans...do you know what mods they had to do to beef it up for the V8's torque ? Did you make any mods to the eng ? Power to weight its sounds like a very exciting combo ! I can't wait to get started on this project...lol...I have had a bit of a setback last week...shattered my left thumb and it's driving me nuts not being able to do my normal thing !GONNA BE A LONG WINTER ! Ha Ha...Oh well... Gonna see if I can Locate those eng mounts online...