Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows7 install problem

Windows7 install problem

I understand that I need the .net framework 2.0, but I'm using windows7 (32 bit) and when I go to install it, it says it is already part of the operating system.

When I try to install HPT, it says that I need it and then quits the install.

Is there a beta that fixes this or how do I get this to install on win7?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I've seen several customers running windows 7 32 bit without issue including myself, sounds like its a specific configuration issue on your pc to me. I've been running our beta software on my home pc since 7 RC became available several months ago without issue. Install went as smooth as silk.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

It's not an issue of running it for me so far. It's an issue of installing it. The installer dies saying I don't have .NET 2.0 installed. This is a fresh install of Win7.

How does the installer check the system to see if 2.0 is installed?

or another question, did you have to install the re-dist or sdk before you installed HPT? If so, how did you do that since it's included in Win7?

Just thinking out loud here. This machine is stock windows configuration (7, 32 bit, home premium). It does however have .net 4 installed on it in addition to 1-3.5. If it's checking registry values, I could add them, I just need to know what it's checking.

I can't imagine why I would have to do this though, doesn't seem logical or correct. Just thinking out loud for how to solve this. I'm sure others will run into this.

Well, I edited the msi file to remove the .net 2.0 detection and it installed and is working great. Not sure the .Net 2.0 framework detection is working in all situations on win7. Sounds like a windows installer bug.

Tuner in Training
    i had an issue when trying to install my hpt on windows 7 64bit but it was with the drivers, it wouldnt use the drivers on the disk because they werent signed drivers so i downloaded the new one's that had signed drivers and just had to extract them to my desktop from local C drive cuz it could not find them.. That is the only issue i read about on here for 7..

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by shizon View Post
    Well, I edited the msi file to remove the .net 2.0 detection and it installed and is working great. Not sure the .Net 2.0 framework detection is working in all situations on win7. Sounds like a windows installer bug.
    Worked fine for me, I just downloaded/installed win 7 RC-done. Also you are the first person reporting this specific issue so it sounds like an isolated instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Worked fine for me, I just downloaded/installed win 7 RC-done. Also you are the first person reporting this specific issue so it sounds like an isolated instance.
    It very could be an isolated incident, but in my research (google), there are others reporting this same problem but with other programs which is why it looks more like a windows installer problem to me.

Tuner in Training
    this just happened to me attempting to install on hp x64 windows 7 ultimate. I have visual studio 2010 installed so maybe it dorked it up.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by shizon View Post
    Well, I edited the msi file to remove the .net 2.0 detection and it installed and is working great.
    Shizon how did you do this, I've come across a few customers that have run into this issue as well and can't figure out how to do it.

Potential Tuner
    you can try installing it in compatibility mode too. Right click the exe or msi file (which ever is run to install) and go to properties in there should be a compatibility tab and try windows xp. windows 7 is suppose to have .net 2.0 installed "stock".

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Shizon how did you do this, I've come across a few customers that have run into this issue as well and can't figure out how to do it.
    Delete the "LaunchCondition" table. It doesn't properly detect the pre-installed .net framework, this bypasses it. If you don't have .net studio installed, just simply use "Easy MSI Editor" -- it's freeware.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jdaniels View Post
    Delete the "LaunchCondition" table. It doesn't properly detect the pre-installed .net framework, this bypasses it. If you don't have .net studio installed, just simply use "Easy MSI Editor" -- it's freeware.

Jon
    Just had this issue, worked last time like a charm, this time no good. (just reinstalled 7 today)

thanks for the help, that launch condition should be disabled in the hpt software for 7 users.

-Garrett
    1998 SN95 - 620WHP - 11.23 @ 125mph
    2004 SRT4 - 424 WHP - 12.00 @ 117mph
    2000 Z24 - 280 WHP - 13.3 @ 108mph

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yeah we know what the issue is and have added it to our to do list.

perfect! thanks Bill, I just read what I typed, I sounded like a dick, sorry man!

-Garrett
    1998 SN95 - 620WHP - 11.23 @ 125mph
    2004 SRT4 - 424 WHP - 12.00 @ 117mph
    2000 Z24 - 280 WHP - 13.3 @ 108mph

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Well guys I found one thing that might be causing you guys the issue, microsoft issued a couple of recent updates that if you have the automatic update system turned on will automatically install these.

I'm not sure exactly which one it is as I haven't tested but its one of these two

My findings don't mean we aren't going to workaround it in our software, we'll be taking out the .net check in an upcoming build, but I did a restore to just before these updates were installed and all is well now.

-Bill

Potential Tuner
    well, I'm having the same problem as shizon. I dont understand what I need to do. Help PLEASE!

I just ran into this issue as I routinely swap between the beta and the public release.

Go into control panel remove programs. Click on the Microsft net Framework 4 client profile. That is what is causing the new error message relating to the .net 2.0 install error.

Also, after you remove it windows will try to reinstall it. When it give you the message about updating, look at the important update, uncheck the box and then right click the mouse and select hide update.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for tracking down the update Bill and NTIMID8..

I was just installing in a virtual machine and copying over the installed files to update my install of HPT in my real (non-virtual) install of Windows...

If the install check and can be changed to a check/warning instead of a check/requirement, that woul dbe great.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.