Thread: Lean Cruise enable on a unique project

Tuner in Training

Lean Cruise enable on a unique project

I've got a 1973 AMG postal jeep with a 1998 Camaro A4 powertrain. I want to buy the HPTuners programmer, but I want to be able to enable lean cruise. I realize that it's not emisions legal, but it's not a smog concern.

It now has a Holden Ecotec 3800 intake manifold, and I'm awaiting the CRS blower kit: www.rodshop.com.au/superchargerholdv6.htm

It'll be set up for 5psi, and should make the 1900lb jeep even more fun.
    Here it is pre-Holden manifold: www.rotomoto.com/jeep

This is off the reservation by a bunch I know. I'd order the Holden tuner, but I'm using the '98 camaro PCM and don't want to swap engine management, as it's been quite a bit of work convincing the camaro PCM that everything's fine and not to set codes.

-Anton ;D
    1973 AMG Postal Jeep powered by:&&1998 Chevy Camaro 3800 Series II V6/4L60E&&Adjustable fuel pressure, K&N clamped to TB, AMC Pacer front suspension (makes it LHD+disc brakes), Explorer 3.55 rear axle

Re: Lean Cruise enable on a unique project

You are putting a Super Charger on a 3800 Series II motor in a 1973 Mail Jeep? I thought I was crazy. I have no idea on your question but I will tell you one thing, you sure got balls!
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Athet, I can't help you with the question, but I have a question for you...is there any difference between the Holden Ecotec 3800 intake and the Camaro one?

Or is it the same as the 1999+ V6 Camaro intakes?

Tuner in Training

Ecotec engines are the Australian Series II 3800 motor. There was an Aussie Series I 3800, those intake manifolds have the air inlet at the rear.

The Ecotec manifold is very different from the f-car intake. Air inlet is on the left side of the plenum, and it has a much bigger plenum, with longer and better shaped runners. The F-car intakes are very compromised for hood clearance.
    I've got lots of room under the hood.

The Ecotec manifold's runners are still an inch too short plenum to valve, but that's easy to fix with a spacer between the upper and lower manifolds.

I've put about 8000 mi on the jeep as it sits, including a 1100 mi trip to San Diego. Zero problems, but it gets 15MPG at 80 MPH and has a 10 gallon gas tank. And the aerodynamics of a cinderblock. That's why I want lean cruise. I'm putting a 15 gal tank in it, but I'll have to relocate the rear shocks to fit...

It's a seriously weird project anyway:
    Mechanical: 1998 camaro 3800 series II / 4L60E. Originally RHD, I swapped in the front suspension subframe from a 1977 AMC Pacer so I'd have LHD and real disc brakes. The steering column is Pacer, the pedal box is AMC Spirit, the rear axle is from a '95 Explorer, custom driveshaft... Oh yeah, I rolled it (on its side when it was still a postal jeep), so I had to cut off the top and put in a cage, CJ-5 windshield frame etc. :-[

Electronic: o2 simulator for the after-cat sensor, various resistors to tell the PCM the tank's 90%+ full so it never runs evap checks (originally fooled with a plastic soda bottle with the tank vent plumbed into it, take off the cap of the bottle and get a 'gas cap loose' trouble code.) Nice to get rid of all those hoses.

Aftermarket electronic speedo driven from the PCM. VATS signal generated by a small Radio Shack parts circuit in a little box so I can actually enable the antitheft circuit.
    Interceptor transmission tuner, which I'll be getting rid of when I get HPTuner.

Pretty nuts, I know.
    www.rotomoto.com/jeep/

-Anton
    1973 AMG Postal Jeep powered by:&&1998 Chevy Camaro 3800 Series II V6/4L60E&&Adjustable fuel pressure, K&N clamped to TB, AMC Pacer front suspension (makes it LHD+disc brakes), Explorer 3.55 rear axle

the aussie ecotecs used the old memcal fitted PCMs.

I haven't come across lean cruise in the US V6's yet.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...