Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/D Datalog Adder

Tuner in Training

A/D Datalog Adder

I read my wideband via dataq's a/d converter. Can your software take care of this task as well? This is the ultimate WOT tuning tool. IN my case a UEGO 1000 wideband.

Senior Tuner

Re: A/D Datalog Adder

We do have a scan tool/interface wide band option in the works.

We looked at this months ago and decided to offer it as an option. Seeing as an MCU is required in the interface, and almost all of them have a built in A/D converter it was an obvious choice.

We have that and a host of other "goodies" in the works to make tuning at the track easier.

We will announce a release date after everything has been fully tested.

Ken

Tuner in Training

What will the scan / tool interface option do? Are you putting an external A/D and mixing that into the serial port? Please provide more details. How many A/D's will be available?

How much will this option cost? Will this be a new scanner program or an add on?

Senior Tuner

Contact me via email on this issue.

We can discuss what the needs of the tuning community
    are and how HP Tuners can meet them.

[email protected]

Please keep me in the loop, as I have a wideband commander installed with a 0-5V output for external loggers.

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Ken@HPTuners
    Contact me via email on this issue.

We can discuss what the needs of the tuning community
    are and how HP Tuners can meet them.

[email protected]
    I have no specific needs I'm just interested in what you plan on doing? I figure if you're putting on one A/D why not more? The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head egt's would be nice to log.

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Ken@HPTuners
    We do have a scan tool/interface wide band option in the works.

Ken
    Don't you just love originality :-*

Tuner in Training

how about an option for self-tuning. Datalog runs at idle/wot then run a post-processor to detect issues (KR,air fuel), then make suggested changes to the user.

or even better some sort of auto-tune option. Drive the car, the software logs all the trims, then makes changes for you, then drive it again, until everything is perfect?

That would be great. Take alot of guesswork out.

whatcha think? i like the self-tune idea.

Senior Tuner

As far as an on-"pod" A/D, that seems kinda like an
    unnecessary bit o' complexity when there are some
    easy access points on the engine harness - like some
    guy wrote up on a couple of the 'boards, he fed his
    wideband output to the A/C pressure sender. Bang,
    0-5V analog input, freebie (maybe the cost of a
    Metri-Pak connector if you want to be suave about it).
    I believe using the PCM resources opportunistically
    will relieve some HPTuners resources to do things that
    can't be scrounged.

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by mrkrad
    how about an option for self-tuning. Datalog runs at idle/wot then run a post-processor to detect issues (KR,air fuel), then make suggested changes to the user.

or even better some sort of auto-tune option. Drive the car, the software logs all the trims, then makes changes for you, then drive it again, until everything is perfect?

That would be great. Take alot of guesswork out.

whatcha think? i like the self-tune idea.
    If self tuning worked do you think GM, FORD etc would actually employ calibrations engineers. Sometimes people are actually more skilled than a damn PC.

Tuner in Training

Actually, I use a 4 port a/d board and read it directly via the serial port. So, getting the data is not a problem.
    I guess my real question should have been how to change the rpm output pin to rpm data. I once rigged a FORD w/wideband through the egr port, then coded the pcm to log it. Worked, but I never like tampering w/the pc like that.

Tuner in Training

If GM had a put two fricken $17 widebands on the car (ahem like vw cept 1) then self tuning would be a reality air fuel wise eh?

Now since we're talking about A/D inputs lalala having a calibrated wideband, and driving around with an auto-tune could result in fueling have 0 ltrims always in a matter of an hour or less.

That would indeed be cool.

Notice that all the new cars have DBW and front widebands on them? They aren't doing it for shiz n giggles.

I work on pc's since 79. And find that pc's are generally more skilled than the operators..

oh yeah the $200 build it yourself megasquirt fuel injection has this already, and so does DTA engine management. So i guess its a crap idea.

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by fetumpsh

If self tuning worked do you think GM, FORD etc would actually employ calibrations engineers. Sometimes people are actually more skilled than a damn PC.
    While I don't think a program could self tune everything during closed loop operation, self tuning the mixture should be possible. After all that is basically what the VCM is doing dead stock by using the O2 sensors, STFT and LTFTs.

There isn't even any need for a wideband for the closed loop tuning since the VCM itself is just going to tune closed loop to where it thinks lambda=1 we can use the same sensors it is using for this tuning. By looking at how it is 'tuning' its maps (STFT, LTFT) we can see how we need to change our closed loop mixture.

Shawn

Senior Tuner

I think the issue is, how to get meaningful performance
    feedback to "close the loop" on a non-chemistry basis.
    Maybe use the VSS as in in-car accelerometer, or
    something. But you'd want to do something like a series
    of near-enough-identical WOT pulls, dithering fuel *spark
    maps and pick the best, re-baseline and go again, etc.

If the tool could "push" these maps without a shutdown,
    reflash, restart that would be cool. Or, if you had the
    ability to sit there on a (non-inertial, steady-state-
    capable) dyno and move fuel & spark real time to find
    TORQUE value peak for stepped points of RPM under
    some kind of smart goal-seeking optimization loop,
    that might do. But this kind of thing seems to me to have
    the potential to get uselessly complex / long, and hard
    to develop, if you expect too much of it.

I know EFILivePro will let you mess spark map around
    on a temporary basis. However they warn that the
    real time controls are too slow to use reliably at the
    dragstrip where things are changing very fast and it's
    all over in 12 seconds (I wish).

WE could always just use the AC Pressure input...

It's a 0-5v.

Just need the other side of the connector, and the 0-5v output from most widebands.. and wala you can log it already. When your done just hook it back to the ac line (snap).

That seems way easier.

We looked at using PCM inputs and sure it's possible. However, the issue is that we would need to support it for every OS we support (which is many, many, many).

And then you have to consider the logging aspects, and what if the sensor you want to log is non-linear etc. etc.

We saw a cable based approach as more flexible and easier to implement across all vehicles. Also it's not just restricted to WBO2's it could be EGT's or anything... also, how many people *really* want to get inside their stock wiring loom?

I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner

HPTuners,..any update on this thread.

Advanced Tuner

Heres my thoughts on this...

Datalog is the right word. Tuners need a black box datalogger. Currently i have a customer 1500 miles away that cannot use a computer. He wants to drive his car and that is it. So in this instance, it would be nice to mail him a OBDII blackbox to plug into the OBDII port and drive the car. A logging session would incur. After x amount of time, the logger is memory full and the customer mails the blackbox back. Upon my downloading the info, I can come up with a better tune for his car.

I am sure there are ways to get rid of the "mail" part of the process, but this still puts the consumer having to learn to use software they might not want to learn just to tune there car.

Even I get tired of draging my laptop to the car for logging. I would even use the blackbox to log and download for convinence.

Loyde

If you are looking for the ultimate AutoTune feature this company has set the standard for years.

http://www.autronic.com/page_files/autotune_feature.htm

It is abit pricey but it truely illiminates keyboard input to get a car going.

Senior Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by angel95135
    HPTuners,..any update on this thread.

We are driving around with the test units hooked to Dynojet Wide Band Controllers as we speak.

They have 4 10bit A/D channels.

I'm guessing a month before they are available to the public.

Ken