Thread: New cams, help tuning!

Tuner in Training

New cams, help tuning!

I got a new set of cams from bates engineering for my lsj... Specs are

Intake Exhaust
    Lift .459-.460 .464-.465
    Duration 270 273
    Dur. @ .050 207 211

now ray at bates engineering told me he got the most po0wer by retarding the exhaust 2-4 degrees and advancing the intake 2-4 degrees from the factory set points... now this will increase valve overlap, and im having a hard time getting the car to idle.... any suggestions??
    06 Cobalt SS/SC - 2.6, 60# injectors, CAI, Headers, Cat Delete, Magnaflow Exhaust, diamond 9.5:1 pistons, PPP piston pins, total seal rings, supertech 78lbs valve springs, titanium retainers, Ported & Polished Head, Front Mount Heat Exchanger, Dual Pass, Opt B, snow performance stage 2 water/meth kit with 375ml/min nozzle, 1 Step colder plugs, LC-1 WB, Dual intercepter gauge, 235/40/18 BFG geforce KDW2

Advanced Tuner
    have you tried messing with the overspeed underspeed tables? Idle timing? Load a log and the tune file. I may be able to help.

Tuner in Training
    will do..... this is prob the hardest part of tuning... idle..... not really sure where to put the idle spark table.. i was gonna tune the VE table and then activate the MAF sensor and tune Air Density... think it will be that big a diff??
    06 Cobalt SS/SC - 2.6, 60# injectors, CAI, Headers, Cat Delete, Magnaflow Exhaust, diamond 9.5:1 pistons, PPP piston pins, total seal rings, supertech 78lbs valve springs, titanium retainers, Ported & Polished Head, Front Mount Heat Exchanger, Dual Pass, Opt B, snow performance stage 2 water/meth kit with 375ml/min nozzle, 1 Step colder plugs, LC-1 WB, Dual intercepter gauge, 235/40/18 BFG geforce KDW2

Advanced Tuner
    It is possible.

What vacuum does your boost gauge read? Or is it all over the place due to the surging?

Do you have cam gears? Did you pull the timing cover to time it?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HNRClothing View Post
    What vacuum does your boost gauge read? Or is it all over the place due to the surging?
    If this then you may need to go to an alpha-n tune for idle and I have no idea how you would accomplish this.
    1994 Mazda Miata turbo, aero, hoosiers Class=SSM

Take my drop box referral and we both get an extra 250 Mb free!

What is your idle set to? Are you sure you have the correct info (all tables, not just flow rate) for the 60's? What are the trims doing? It may be a combination of issues, and now the cams are adding to it. Also, did you or did you not use cam gears?

P&P Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    ^all great questions!

Advanced Tuner
    How did tuning go?