Thread: Logging Oil Temperature

Logging Oil Temperature

How do you add oil temperature to the list of logging parameters?

Advanced Tuner

Re: Logging Oil Temperature

Do you have a vette? I believe that the vettes are the only ones that actually have this fed to the PCM...

I know F-Body's do not have this fed to the PCM (it's fed directly from the oil pressure sensor behind the intake manifold to the gauge cluster... the PCM doesn't know what the pressure is)
    Mike Horist
    00 WS6 (TA) | 04 WS6 (GTP Comp G)
    Mike \\#at&\\ horist \\&dot$\\com

BOTH cars HP Tuners Tuned

[quote author=horist link=board=vcmsuite_general;num=1124161930;start=0 #1 date=08/15/05 at 22:53:14]Do you have a vette? I believe that the vettes are the only ones that actually have this fed to the PCM...
    quote]

Yes, I have a Corvette. Oil Temp displays on the DIC, along with the other gauge readouts. I was certain that this would be a logable parameter in HP Tuners... Is this not the case?

If not, I am very disappointed.

Advanced Tuner

I don't know much about vettes but it's possible the 98s don't support that via the OBDII stream... 97/98 vettes had a different PCM than 99+ vettes (just as 98 F-Bodies had a different PCM than 99-02 F-Bodies) ...
    Mike Horist

Advanced Tuner

oh wow... i had a major brain fart... I was thinking oil pressure...

Oil temp I'm not sure if it's fed into the PCM... Oil Pressure on Vettes is...

if it turns out that oil temp isn't monitored by the PCM (so not on the OBDII data stream) ,I wonder if it can be interfaced w/the EIO instead (not sure what the output of the sensor is)

I bet this is like the F-Body's and oil pressure though... It displays on our gauge cluster, but it doesn't route into the PCM... so no way to log via OBDII connector

edit:
    Verified... the vette oil temp sensor does not get fed into the PCM... so can't be logged via the standard OBDII interface
    Mike Horist

Really ???

I was thinking the digital display on the dash was just like a serial connection to the PCM. This must not be true then (I've never had my dash apart, so I don't know)

I've thought about hooking it to the EIO. It should just be a 0-5V sensor. I should be able to calibrate it by referencing the logged voltage to the temperature displayed on the dash.

Thanks for the help.

Potential Tuner
    Back to the original question of 5 years ago.
    How do you add oil temperature to the list of logged items.
    Yes I have the GM Vette and oil temperature is part of the data. I just cant see how to add it to the scanner items.
    THanks
    Mike
    Cumming, GA
    1999 Miata BF LS6, 6spd, 3.23 rear. Still getting bugs out.
    http://www.mstewart.net/miata

If its not fed into the PCM and available via the ODBII data stream, as mentioned above, you will have to connect an oil temp sensor via one of the EIO ports on the MPVI Pro box and then create a transfer function that translates output voltage to oil temperature.
    Kenne Bell Supercharged 2003 Corvette Z06