Thread: 01 F Body VATS help needed

01 F Body VATS help needed

I did a motor swap using a 3800 II from an 01 F and I can't get it running. I've followed these instuctions
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12399&
    with no luck. Here are the cliffs

• Engine is bone stock
    • engine will crank and run like a champ and continue to run if I spray carb cleaner into the throttle body
    • Has DBW TB that is opperational
    • I can connect to HPT Scanner and it reads all values correctly
    • I've tried using a VATS eliminator box connected to "Fuel Enable Control" circuit 229
    • I removed the BCM from the donor car, measured the resistance in the donor's key pellet, installed the BCM into the donee car, and installed the new resistors in the key circuit.
    • The BCM is connected to the PCM in place of the VATS module. BCM will power up and chime when the key is turned on and off.
    • Fuel pump primes. Good fuel pressure. +12v at each pink injector wire.

I've double and triple checked my wiring, but when leads me to believe it is an injector pulse issue is that the engine will stay running, as long as brake cleaner or carb cleaner is sprayed into the TB.

Tune is stock, less codes P01626 and P01629.

Any ideas?

Potential Tuner
    I here you on this vats system , i am working to completly bypass it on my grand am , if you disconnected the BCM from the PCM or the key switch modual from the BCM with power on you will have to do a vats relearn i believe , i dont know if you can do this from the software with HP tuners if not do it manualy , key on ingnition position for 15min then try to crank if doesnt work do it for three cycles> key on 15min key off 5sec three times than start , Eric

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    map sensor reading 10kpa is abnormal, I would start there.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks Bill. MAP sensor was unplugged when I sent the log. I unplugged it to remove the fuel rail, to verify that the injectors were or werenot firing. Just forgot to plug it back in when I recorded the log. Still troubleshooting.

On a side note, I've built wiring harnesses for close to 100 swapped cars (did it on the side for over 3 years), all GM cars from L35s to LS1s, LM7s, LQ4s, L33s, L92s, LS2s, some harnesses were chassis specific, some were generic. I'm pretty confident in my wiring, but I have screwed up before, so I don't mind double checking. Only wire I didn't hook to the PCM is the Starter Relay Coil Supply (to let the PCM know that you're starting the engine). I've never used this wire before, but I'm getting ready to step out to connect it. I doubt it'll fix it, but I'm grasping at straws now.
    Last edited by Eat-Pez; 09-06-2010 at 02:30 PM.