Thread: IAT temps/readings

IAT temps/readings

Sorry, very new to all of this so might be a stupid question. I have and 08 TrailBlazer SS. I have done a few DIY mods such as e-fans, home made CAI, trans cooler, tr6 plugs, along with a tune. I live in Colorado at 6400ft so I am trying to feed it as much air as possible but want the coolest temps as well.

So question is, as I am running scans, my iat's are around 1 to 2 degress above ambient temps. These ambient temps I am getting from the temp reading gauge that came in the SS & these readings are at criusing speeds(50 to 60mph). I thought these were pretty good. But can IAT's ever read lower then ambient temps without spraying n2o, meth or freezing drizzle from humidity going into the CAI....or anything like that! Am I correct that the IAT sensor reads air from the ambient temps and not windchill.....correct? Thanks for any input!

Tuner
    The IAT reads the temperature of the air inside your intake plumbing. On a lot of vehicles the actual IAT sensor is located near the MAF sensor or it is integrated into the MAF sensor. As far as "windchill" goes no the IAT is not affected by that. The IAT should not read lower than your outside ambient temps without using a cooling agent such as N2O like you mentioned, unless your IAT sensor has failed then maybe it could give a lower reading.

If you are only getting IAT's 1 to 2 degrees above the outside temps that is pretty good.

Thank you for the feedback it's appreciated!
    08 5000lb grocery getter