Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lean Cruise mode

Re: Lean Cruise mode

All of their upgrades are free of charge. When its availiable customers will have access to it via download

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    All of their upgrades are free of charge. When its availiable customers will have access to it via download
    You talking about HP Tuners or the other guys? HP Tuners upgrades are free of charge as well if you're within your upgrade period.
    Eric - 01 Silverado 5.3 ECSB
    ET: [email protected] 1.77 60' 5200 lbs

Crappy website about my truck

My Myspace page
    Usually contains explicit material (language, etc..)
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

The other guys. THeir updates are free regardless of an update period

Advanced Tuner

That's pretty cool, the advantages of an open market. How does their software compare?

My Myspace page

Advanced Tuner

Hmm, the LS1-Edit mailing list became moderated once competition arrived. They didn't want discussion of competitors products on their list I suppose. I hope that doesn't happen here
    1998 NBM Camaro Z28
    LS3 motor
    Mod list

Advanced Tuner

Not sure how the owners feel, but I think discussing the competition can be beneficial. Although it appears HP Tuners have thought of just about all there is to think of and then some, it's possible the competition may have a feature that we lack and discussing it could benefit us.

EDIT: A few others and I may be moderators, but we are in no way here to police the forums. Just here to help out where and when we can.

My Myspace page

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
    That's pretty cool, the advantages of an open market. How does their software compare?

Each software has its pluses and minues. I cant say I am partial to one tuner over the other. What I do like abou tthe other software (which will be hopefully added in 2.0) is you can build custom maps. You can plot any pids against each other. To me this is an important feature if i wanted to back calcualte my maf sensor. Log idle pids agianst temp and g/sec for idle tuning and the list goes on. I like the customizability (is that a word) of it but like i stated before hopefully that is taken care of in 2.0. Also updates are free forever (I will have to buy my 2.0 upgrade since i will be way out of my subscription period). They also have black box logging (look ma no laptop)

Tuners gets their plus in the licensing scheme where the other software charges a small feel to add other vehicles. Tuners gave me the pro features for free where I have to also buy that from the other company.

IMHO they are all very capable and easy to use and neither takes any precedence over the other. I have both because I wanted to compare but its pretty much a fair race at this point

Tuner

Edit or Flashscan? Damn, HPTuners needs to rethink the nickel and diming if flashscan does this. :-[
    2002 Z51 C5 MN6 Coupe&&SuperMaxx Headers, Vararam, Ti Exhaust

Flashscan

Advanced Tuner

EDIT: A few others and I may be moderators, but we are in no way here to police the forums. Just here to help out where and when we can.
    Woohoo! Martial law!!! You will respect my authoritaaay!!!

Just kidding.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6: SLP Lid, Adj. Panhard, SFCs, CAGS!, Hotcam, Hooker Shorties, Katech Tensioner, Catback with Dynomax 17221 3\" Muffler, Mobil-1, Bosch +4s, 160 Stat, !EGR, !MAFless, !FRA, S3 TB

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by BQuicksilver

Edit or Flashscan? Damn, HPTuners needs to rethink the nickel and diming if flashscan does this. :-[
    Flashscan costs $699 for 2 vehicles, not vehicle types, vehicles. Then it's $99 per vehicle after that. I still think we're getting the better deal, even if updates are $99 a year.

My Myspace page

I'd like to play with Lean Cruise but if HPT says it can't be done because it would be asking for big trouble then I'm fine by that. I'm happy with the current 26-27 I get now.

Think of it this way, how many of us have already tuned for max milage? I haven't so would I really use the lean cruise to it's full potential? Have any of us messed with timing in the areas that the motor cruises in to see if anything can be improved apon there? I haven't. Hell, do I drive the car correctly to get max milage? Hell No!!! So until I do these things I'm not going to even think about Lean Cruise. This is just my take on it.

I'd hate to see company like HPT go down over something stupid like the EPA getting pissed off about me wanting another couple MPG on the highway, although it would be nice , so I'm not going to push the issue.

Well said .

-Mike-
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

thanks for the feedback Dirk, it is rare thesedays to get feedback other than "they suck, you are the best" or vice versa.

When you have competitive companies in any market, the consumer always wins. It wasn't that long ago that high prices and stringent license scheme's (not to mention one product didn't do it all) prohibited people from buying multiple programs. Then along came 3 guys and made some changes to that

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner

Flashscan costs $699 for 2 vehicles, not vehicle types, vehicles. Then it's $99 per vehicle after that. I still think we're getting the better deal, even if updates are $99 a year.
    Good point. I must say i dislike VIN matching more than anything. I sure wish I would have know i could have 2 vehicle types when i ordered. It sounds like I can't go back now????
    2002 Z51 C5 MN6 Coupe&&SuperMaxx Headers, Vararam, Ti Exhaust

Advanced Tuner

If you do a speed density tune, it is possible to emulate the Lean Cruise by modifying the OLFA (open loop fuel adder) table in the MAP (and ECT) range your vehicle cruises in. The only problem with this method is it will command a higher AFR at all times while in that particular MAP range and not just cruising at 70mph.

My Myspace page

Tuner in Training

What if there were a true use for the lean cruise mode in racing?

Like if you were to enter some of the open road racing like we have here in Nevada. Does that work. There is a legit form of racing it can be used in, just cite this event. Offroad non legal vehicals run in this event all the time.

What if one were to request the hex adresses and instructions on how to enable this themselves vs having the company incorporate it into their program?

P.S. please pm me those instructions Just remember, there are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

Advanced Tuner

maybe 11 kinds, there are some trying to learn
    There is no replacement for displacement?&&sure there is, its called a Blower!

Tuner in Training

If you do a speed density tune, it is possible to emulate the Lean Cruise by modifying the OLFA (open loop fuel adder) table in the MAP (and ECT) range your vehicle cruises in. The only problem with this method is it will command a higher AFR at all times while in that particular MAP range and not just cruising at 70mph.
    That only works if you are in open loop speed density , if you are in closed loop then it can only ask for 14.63 and the O2 sensor will pull it back.

I am lucky in that we have lean cruise already in our Holden cals so I dont need to get the free download they have offered.

I now have both types of tuning software as well as edit , really like the free upgrades for life and the abiltiy to custom setup pids and mapping as well as the black box logging without the laptop. That has been great at the strip when you can just log for the period you want - I normally log for 2 mins so I get the burnout box and the run then it turns off on the return road so I dont have to think about it.
    I can collect about 20 runs without even looking at my laptop with all the stuff I log - the abiltity to run dual wideband is also a good feature I have found as well as the thermocouple input - hopefully all that and more will be in V2.0 - shame it will be a extra cost option though.

Advanced Tuner

What amazes me is that in the amount of time that people have spent complaining about this, they could have already figured out a way to make it run themselves.... For instance, why not take Magics' idea an make it work for you. Check this out: I'm sure everyone here here is aware of the resistor mod, that changes your IAT value to affect your timing. Why not put a resitor in line to the IAT that is hooked up to a toggle switch that you have mounted to the console that will allow the computer to think that the temp is 14* outside. Then go to your Closed Loop Enable Coolant VS IAT table and for 14* IAT enter 256* coolant...This will allow the car to into open loop with just the flip of a switch. From there you can then use your OLFA table to dial in whatever AFR you want. So you are on the freeway cruising at 65mph, and you are going to be there a while, to save gas you flip your newly made open loop switch and since you have your OLFA tabled set to lean out the cruising areas of operation you increase your gas milage. Just make sure you flip off the switch when you are coming to a stop. Now you can use Magic's suggestin of running open loop without having it enabled all the time. BTW this won't affect PE because the VCM automatically defaults to the richest setting.

There I just gave you guys a "work around." Now we can lay off the HPT guys about the lean cruise issue. I'm sure they have better things to do other than defend their postion as to why they have not implemented Lean Cruise into the programming. Maybe they can spend more time getting that 2.0 ready.

Matt

Advanced Tuner

Too bad we're severely limited on our smileys because you deserve the :hail: smiley for that one!

My Myspace page