Thread: Need help tuning 06' SS/SC MAF

Potential Tuner

Need help tuning 06' SS/SC MAF

Newb here. I have a 06' Cobalt SS/SC. Mods are only ZZP intake and Pacesetter header.

I threw a SES light after installing the intake/header. And decided I'd take a lesson in tuning to get my car back on track. So I went and bought HPT.

I'm sure my main issue is the MAF caused by the intake, and I'm guessing I'm going to have to modify my VE table also. (My A/F ratio was between 10-11 on the dyno)

I have a little experience in tuning as my other car is a 01' Procharged SS Camaro with about 500whp. But I have a trusted friend doing most of my tuning with EFI Live.

Can somebody give me a direction and/or a good base MAF to go by. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

To properly tune an '06 you will need a wideband 02 sensor and a way to read it, either the Pro interface or the A/C pressure input setup for it. I don't personally tune SS/SC's but perhaps someone that does will post.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Advanced Tuner
    You need to get a WB if you want to tune WOT. Since the car doesnt use trims when you go WOT you really cant log it other than with the WB. 10-11 isnt that bad, its safe for now.

Potential Tuner
    I'm more worried about how to get my MAF corrected really.. I'm not too worried about the VE yet.. As you said, it's safe..

Advanced Tuner
    You maf is probably set to come in around 3500 rpm VE is before that. So you want to do both. Just get a histo for lftf+stft % error for both VE and MAF, go for a 20 minute drive varying RPMs and loads trying not to go into PE and with DFCOs off, and re tune the VE and MAF. Search for the how to on MAF/VE tuning.

Potential Tuner
    Went ahead and put something together.

But I'm still throwing codes:

P0030 HO2S Heater Control Circuit bank 1
    P0036 HO2S Heater Control Circuit bank 2
    P0102 MAF Low Frequency
    P0443 EVAP Solenoid Valve 1 Control

And my cruise still doesn't work.

Here's my file. If somebody wants to take a look at it for me. This is my first tuning attempt.

Potential Tuner
    Figured out the SES codes.

Evidently when the headers were installed it caused the O2 wire to ground out. And blew a fuse.
    Last edited by wakesk8te; 02-21-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Log the car and post it.

Set the piston protection to just after your set redline
    Make your injector flowrate linear
    You PE needs some work. Find BYT's spreadsheet and use that as a base for your power enrichment
    Also the enrichment rate typically is changed so it fuels quicker

That is just at first glance.

Oh and just an FYI your VE is fueling to 5800 RPM then the MAF takes over, so its crucial to tune the VE.
    Last edited by HNRClothing; 02-21-2011 at 10:26 PM.

you can change the maf to come in at 400 rpm so no worry there, tuning the maf is easy. and id get a w.b. U can tne without it if you know what your doing, but having a wideband make you know a 100% that you are safe and reliable.
    2009 chevy cobalt ss turd. to many mods to list and to many problems to fix...... errr previous owner

Advanced Tuner
    I would not eliminate the VE all together maybe drop it to 3500 or something. Letting the VE fuel should make the part throttle a much smoother drive and may provide better gas mileage.

Hopefully you kept your stock tune.

Go back to the stock file, make the same changes to the the torque management (Desired Torque) and high octane spark tables as you did before.

Go into Fuel Control -> Power Enrichment;
    - Lower the delay RPM to about 2500.
    - Set your PE - EQ vs RPM to a linear valve across the chart to start (makes this simple to base tune). 1.27 is a good start.
    - Leave the PE Enable TPS stock.

Start tuning the MAF as required, then go onto the VE.
    Learn how to by reading THIS!

You can raise your rev limiter and adjust your PE, and re-tune once you have everything dialed in to a good base level. Just make sure you have enough fuel to feed the motor. The stock injectors are very close to static from factory.

Quote Originally Posted by HNRClothing View Post
    Make your injector flowrate linear
    That is the stock injector values for an '06 (believe it or not).
    I'd suggest he leaves it.
    Tyler

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by omega_5 View Post
    That is the stock injector values for an '06 (believe it or not).
    I'd suggest he leaves it.
    I know it is, I just think its garbage. If he is changing the PE and maf/ve I think it would run a little smoother with a typical increasing linear line in both part and WOT.

What is the benefit of keeping the sloping injector values?

Quote Originally Posted by HNRClothing View Post
    What is the benefit of keeping the sloping injector values?
    Well... they work properly with the offsets.
    If you change the injector slope without properly changing the offsets, you would pretty much be raping the tune, cause nothing is right.
    Not to mention the fact that it is actually incorrect to try to tell the PCM that the fuel system is manifold referenced, when it's not... as the PCM has to compensate for manifold pressure without raising fuel pressure.

The only other option for anyone wanting to tune the stock injectors, is to change all the injector values to late-06 / 07 values, which were far more pleasing to the eye, but essentially accomplished the same task.

When it comes to injector values there are only two types of data that should be in those tables; 1) the OEM data, or 2) the 'correct' data (which could be the OEM data).
    Last edited by omega_5; 02-22-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    Tyler

Advanced Tuner
    I am not questioning your knowledge but you think the 06 offsets make the 06 injector flowrate coorect? I mean looking at both of the offsets they are not so disimilar other than the amount of delay. I guess I am not quite understanding how the mountain like injector flowrate numbers and the near linear slope offsets are correct vs the near linear slope of both the offset and flowrate of the 07 tune? The 07 tune seem more thought out than the 06 I can see.

I think the big thing to remember here, is that there are things going on in the background that we can't edit. The 06 data works, so I generally choose to leave it.
    If you has access to 07 data, then by all means, change it to the 07 data. My issue is if someone was to blindly change the table to make it look pretty, without any real values to back it up.
    Tyler

Advanced Tuner
    Ok, I understand what you are getting at. I know it works and all but I just dont agree with the offsets to flowrate of the 06 tune that is why I suggested to change it. I agree with the 07 data a lot more. It is just strange to see two vehicles that are virtually the same have such different fueling data as a whole, pe included (if I remember looking at them correctly). I just need to remember I am talking to someone that is new to tuning the LSJ.

07' data can be found in the tune repository.