Thread: Which Wideband for me?

Tuner in Training

Which Wideband for me?

I've read the posts about the different widebands, but I was wondering if I could get a recommendation from you guys based on the my situation. I don't have HP Tuners yet. I plan to get it sometime in the next couple months (not sure if I'll get it before or after 2.0 comes out). But I know I want to be able to log wideband AFR. So I want to start looking for a wideband setup.

First off, I obviously want the price to be good. I don't want to spend way more than I need to.

Next, I will be tuning my 2002 Trans Am WS6 with HP Tuners and the wideband, AND I want to be able to use the wideband to tune older, non-computer controlled cars as well (i.e. carburated engines). HOWEVER, I have a good laptop, and if I can plug the wideband into it (for the older cars), I would rather log it with software on a computer. So essentially, I don't really need a handheld unit, since I will be using my laptop all the time.

Also, since I will be changing between vehicles a lot, I want a non-permanent setup. It needs to be reasonably easy to remove and change it to other vehicles.

Finally, because I'm tuning older vehicles, it needs to be able to log rpm. Without this, it would be basically useless for my purposes.

The Zeitronix setup looks really nice, but it seems like people are having problems incorporating HP Tuners with it. The LM-1 is good but I really don't need the handheld, and I would have to buy the RPM converter on top of the regular cost. The Dynojet I don't know much about, but it seems expensive. And I know nothing about PLX. Are there others available?

Can someone give me recommendations on the most cost effective wideband setup for my situation?

Thanks!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Re: Which Wideband for me?

i bought the lm1, works well, cheap and portable.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner

Since you want portability, I'd also recommend the LM-1.
    2002 Z51 C5 MN6 Coupe&&SuperMaxx Headers, Vararam, Ti Exhaust

Tuner

Anyone have a link for the Zietronix?

Tuner

www.zeitronix.com

I have one now and another one on the way for tuning other peoples cars.. I really like them the price is only $279, don't bother with the screen.

Also with the Z software you can log boost, TPS and any other 0-5V sensor you can find.

I really like it, works great.

Nick Steffens&&2002 Z06&&

Tuner in Training

I really like the Zeitronix unit as well, since I need the rpm converter (included at $280 vs. LM-1 is $99 extra). And I don't need display since I can use my laptop.

However, I thought there was major problems trying to get this unit to work well with HPTuners? Has this been resolved?

Tuner in Training

T T T

Tuner in Training

While I'm waiting to hear more about the Zeitronix situation, I've looked into other widebands that HPTuners supports. Can someone comment on these? Why don't more people use them, any difference between them and the LM-1 or Dynojet Commander?

TE 2A0: Looks like an awesome wideband. You don't have to buy a display, it can log AFR and RPM on a laptop, uses a Bosch sensor, HPTuners has predefined inputs for it, and it is A LOT cheaper than other widebands (especially if you get a DIY kit, which I probably wouldn't do).

PLX: Looks like a really good unit, I just wish they offered the M-250 (no display) with data logging capabilities. Not for me I don't think (I would rather have the LM-1 for $90 less)

Autronic MAFM1: I hear this works with HPTuners, but I can't find a website or a price.

AEM: Not bad, but more expensive than the LM-1 at $480. If it is cheaper somewhere let me know. I'm getting this off AEM's website.

FJO: Looks like a really good unit, but doesn't use Bosch sensors, which could be a big pain down the road ($$$)

Can you guys comment on these widebands, and whether any would be better than the LM-1 with RPM converter for my situation? Thanks!

Tuner in Training

FJO emailed me and said they are doing testing on Bosch sensors and hope to offer them as an option. Maybe I'll go with them when the time comes.

Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by matts_222
    PLX: Looks like a really good unit, I just wish they offered the M-250 (no display) with data logging capabilities. Not for me I don't think (I would rather have the LM-1 for $90 less)
    I use an M250. You don't need datalogging if you have HPTuners, it does the datalogging. Also, it works flawlessly with HPTuners. No issues whatsoever here....unlike my Dynotune FP Gauge.

I've heard bad things about the AEM, there are lots of threads over at AEM forums about calibration issues. Somebody here disagreed with me, but the numeous complaints from users over there steered me from AEM to PLX.

Tuner in Training

Thanks for the reply, but I HAVE to have datalogging, because I am going to use the wideband on some older vehicles that aren't controlled by a computer (can't use HPTuners on them). Thanks.

Tuner

Sounds like the LM-1 is for you...most of the others (FJO, PLX, etc) do offer a datalogging package, but are not portable. You're going to need portability for use in multiple cars.

Tuner in Training

I don't understand how the LM-1 is portable, but other units like the FJO are not. I mean, neither require a gauge, they are just a handheld. How is it portable? Do you have to direct wire some of them and the LM-1 uses a cigarette lighter or something? If so, that isn't a big deal to me, because I would only tune 2 cars most likely, so I could rig something up pretty easy. Please explain the portability. Thanks

Tuner

If you want to view AFR in real time, the PLX, FJO, AEM all require a gauge. Technically, you could rig them up (ugly mess) and record data, but the LM-1 is a pretty nice looking unit designed to be rigged up to more than one car, and have some portability. It's also cheaper than FJO, PLX, AEM.

So You Have:
    LM-1
    - Nice Looking (meant to be portable)
    - Has Gauge (in case you ever want real-time AFR readout without HPTuners hooked up)
    - Cheapest

FJO/PLX/AEM
    - Will Be a Box and Mess of Wiring (these units are intended to be permanently mounted)
    - No Gauge Unless You Want more Mess (AEM is all one unit)
    - More Expensive

This is a No-Brianer B/W these 4 for you. I love my PLX, but would NEVER use it like you're proposing.

Tuner in Training

But the LM-1 is not cheaper when you have to buy the rpm converter. Especially if FJO comes out with a unit that uses a Bosch sensor. Plus FJO offers a rpm converter that clamps on a spark plug wire, making it really easy to switch cars. Remember, I need to be able to tune non-computer vehicles too.

I just don't see where the argument is. I'm not going to EVER log AFR realtime. I'll use HPtuners with my trans am, and log it on a laptop on older cars. I mean, the only wire is coming from the o2 sensor, so how is one more portable than the other?

I'm not necessarily arguing against the LM-1. It is a great unit, but I have other options to look at as well. Thanks anyway.

Tuner

Sounds like you're dead-set on the FJO. Buy it.

Tuner in Training

I'm not dead set on it at all. If they don't come out with capabilities to use the Bosch sensor, I don't want it and I'll probably get the LM-1. I just don't understand how the LM-1 is more portable than the FJO, that's all.