Thread: will HPT work on a LS7 in a WS6

Tuner in Training

will HPT work on a LS7 in a WS6

Next year when the LS7 block becomes a regular GM part # and the price comes down from the C5R block I plan on building a LS7 or a stroked LS7 if anyone comes out with a crank for it.As far as tunning goes will I run into any problems with HPT working with a LS7 crank?
    452RWHP-408RWTQ---11.2@120-NA
    75 shot-10.6@129 1.47 60ft.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b...3b012749e1.htm

Senior Tuner

Re: will HPT work on a LS7 in a WS6

The only problem you would have would be the CAN software, I don't know how close the HPT team is to releasing this. As for any mechanical components, that does not affect the use of HPTuners with your setup. Anything software related may (depending on the HPT CAN release). The LS7 crank is just like any other stroker crank, you should be able to tune it if you stay with the LS1/6 current software.

Tuner

i would just adapt the new motor to you existing computer, make a seamless install.

Ryan.
    1998 Ws6 TA

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by 1998WS6
    i would just adapt the new motor to you existing computer, make a seamless install.

Ryan.
    Thats the plan.I don't plan on spending any more money on my engine except for HPT V1.6 once I get my tax return money. Saving for a 427 or stroked 427 if anyone offers a crank for the LS7 block next year.The goal is 600RWHP on pump gas. Don't think I'm asking for a lot out of a 7.0L or better. I've seen 6.0L making that.
    452RWHP-408RWTQ---11.2@120-NA
    75 shot-10.6@129 1.47 60ft.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b...3b012749e1.htm

why are you wanting to wait for a crank?
    doesnt the LS7 already come with a 4" crank to acheive 427 CI? should be a factory GM part.

i still dont know why people would want to hook up a ls2/7 to a 98-02 ls1 pcm, not being able to hook up the knock sensors would scare me.
    id either wait till HPT releases their ls2/7 software, or until somebody devolops a knock sensor adapter.

Potential Tuner

FWIW, I've built 20+ LSx motors without using the knock sensors. We build primarily for the hotrod and offroad sectors.
    Scott

Tuner

car with ls1 computer already installed.

Motor that bolts into car with ls1 computer already installed.

Which is easier, trying to rewire a car for CAN and a new pcm.

or 2 figuring out how to use the new knock sensors with a older pcm.

I'll take choice 2

Ryan.
    1998 Ws6 TA

Tuner

Next year when the LS7 block becomes a regular GM part # and the price comes down from the C5R block I plan on building a LS7 or a stroked LS7 if anyone comes out with a crank for it.As far as tunning goes will I run into any problems with HPT working with a LS7 crank?
    Am to understanding for the previous posts that GM is changing the knock sensors on the LS7, which would make it incompatable with current vehicles? What else is going into the new and improved sensor package?

If there are new sensors and software, I'm going to quit wasting time and get my LS6 to one of the good shops for a new set of 4.126 sleves and new 4" balanced assembly. I know that it will not have titamium rods and valvetrain gear, so I'll just suffer along with a good stroker assembly and a set of AFR 225 heads. It'll be close enough for me and I be emmissions legal on a not "too close" of a visual inspection.

I know personally of at least a dozen of these cars in my area that are driven almost daily.
    Warp 10 Always