Thread: Do you have to have a laptop?

Potential Tuner

Do you have to have a laptop?

This may be a dumb question but do you have to have a laptop to use HP Tuners? $500 for the software and then another $1000 for a half-way decent laptop is quite expensive.

Is there another way to download the file from your PCM and upload to your desktop computer?

Advanced Tuner

Re: Do you have to have a laptop?

a really long serial cable
    Eric - 01 Silverado 5.3 ECSB
    ET: [email protected] 1.77 60' 5200 lbs

Crappy website about my truck

My Myspace page
    Usually contains explicit material (language, etc..)
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Advanced Tuner

Without a laptop you will not be able to log how your changes effect the engine, so you would be guessing at the tune. I'm in the same boat, $500 for the software, plus $150 for EIO, $$$ for laptop, and $200-350 for a wideband O2 down the road. It is a lot of money, but from reading and scanning the forums this software gives you a lot of control that simply was not availible only a few years ago, reasonably priced to the public. Ebay has some good deals on laptops and if you put "refurbished laptop" into Google you will find a few sites with some good deals on older hardware. That's the way I'm going.
    Phil K.
    02 Camaro SS 5.7L LS1
    01 Silverado 1500HD 6.0L LQ4 4L80E 78/75 turbo with Flex Fuel

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

yah it can be a large intial investment between my laptop, w/b, hptuners it was around $1400 but ive also made some of my $ back tuning other 98's and doing the tuning yourself can save you $ in the long run if you get a bad tune like i did.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner

You can put a PC in your car permanently with an LCD screen and mini keyboard. I used to have one in my last car for MP3's before in car MP3 players came out.
    Eric - 01 Silverado 5.3 ECSB
    ET: [email protected] 1.77 60' 5200 lbs

Crappy website about my truck

My Myspace page
    Usually contains explicit material (language, etc..)
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
    You can put a PC in your car permanently with an LCD screen and mini keyboard. I used to have one in my last car for MP3's before in car MP3 players came out.

Funny you should mention this. My kid broke my screen on my laptop last week so now I am without. I was thinking of relocating the radio into the center console and putting in a nice 6" screen in it's place. All of the screens I have seen have RCA connections. How did you hook it up. I am trying to find some sort of monitor out (serial) to RCA adaptor that is not bulky and does not require it's own power supply. Do you have any ideas or pics of your old setup? I want to use my existing laptop. Do you know if they make a PCMCIA card that has RCA outs?

Matt