Thread: Can someone clear something up for me...?

Tuner in Training

Can someone clear something up for me...?

I have a friend who lives a bit of a distance away from me who has the DHP PCM. I would like to have that file but he was told that the HP Tuners would not be able to read the data and that I would not be able to copy the .bin file, is that true or not??

Blessings,&&Rick

Advanced Tuner

Re: Can someone clear something up for me...?

he is correct..

all bin files are not created equal..

or..

"saved the same way"

thus, according to DHP's website you cannot open their bins in any other program..

which I am pertty sure is accurate.

best way to handle the situation would be to get a fesh copy of his bin off his car via hptuners (assuming you have support for his car)
    -Bill
    2000 Camaro V6 Boltons and a tune

Advanced Tuner

acctualy.. the "best" way to handle it is to tell him DHP is a POS and to trade in his stuff for HPT..

see problem solved..

-Bill

Tuner in Training

That is some funny stuff right there! ;D

If I were in the shoes of ANYONE contemplating buying an already "Tuned" PCM - I would HIGHLY recommend spending the extra cash and getting the HP Tuners Package!!!! I have only scratched the surface of what this dandy program can do and I am in absolute AWE!!!

So for those of you out there, save your coin for the HP Tuners!!!!

BTW - Thank you for clarifying my question!!
    Blessings,&&Rick

Advanced Tuner

does he have a dhp cable?? or did he get one of their pcms?

if he has the cable he is only lout like $50 if he does he upgrade.. which imho is with it..

if he has a dhp pcm.. they may have the tune locked..

which then there are technicalities..
    -Bill

Tuner in Training

Nope - bought their PCM. Are we at least able to read the DHP PCM and "manually copy" all the parameteres? Though that is a ton of work - you would have the same end result! If that can be done - I do not know if I would want to go through all that hassle though!
    Blessings,&&Rick

Advanced Tuner

ohh.. I see.. thats a little different..

I "think" dhp locks all of their pcm's becuase they are buttholes..

I am not sure if HPT will work on it..

I would contact keith or [email protected] about it..

one a sie note..
    I think its silly that they offer a product that has such a boarderline aspect of "fair use" as it is (pcm tuning in general).. and then abuse it by locking their pcms.. kidna hypcritical..

imagine if gm locked us out of all of them.. that would be lame..

dunno.. jsut dosent make sence to me..

-Bill

Tuner in Training

I guess they may be fearful of a few things such as those who could possibly tweak their PCMs better than what they have produced, maybe business is that bad and they need to "Lock" those in who do buy their product or could even be that they are protecting themselves by not allowing anyone in to see any mistakes that may have been in there, after all - if you cannot "read" their tunes, you won't be able to "find" a problem with their product should something go wrong which protects them!

Dunno - just my two cents worth. I agree though - it is pretty lame that they do that!!

All I want to do is compile the information from as many resources as possible, find what I think works best and take the "best" possible out of each product to create my personal "perfect" tune if there is such a thing!! Again, I may be getting ahead of myself - I may not have to go through all that work once my engine is built and installed so that I can start actually using my HP Tuners for what I bought it for - MY CAR!!! LOL
    Blessings,&&Rick

Tuner

There are reasons and good arguments on both sides of the fence.

Companies that sell tuning knowledge, want to protect it. Companies who make thier money on giving you access to the computer, don't care. As they're just giving you access. I can see the argument from all sides of the fence, and understand why they do it. All it takes is 1 person to post thier file on the internet, and the R&D costs to that tune, are worthless.

1998 Ws6 TA

Tuner in Training

I need to apologize - I did not need to make it sound like a flame - I agree - I do see both sides of it!!!
    Blessings,&&Rick

Tuner

no flame taken, just sharing some points of view, from somebody who has seen it all ways, from a consumer, and a tuner.
    1998 Ws6 TA

Advanced Tuner

I agree with that.. However for the cost of mail order tunes I would want full acess to it.. they are not cheep..

I wish i could convince people to give me 200-300 for a canned tune. that is just an exact copy or slightly modified copy of another tune you allready had or did.

I make websites.. and its about the equivlent of making a site in frontpage (which is lame to begin with).. then adding a little content and a banner.. and then a few weeks, reseling it to another customer with a new banner.. and then not giving them your source files.. :rofl:

rofl.. ohh well.. again.. i am glad i tune myself.. i dont trust mail order stuff..
    but I see their reasoning as well..

-Bill