Thread: Manually Controlling 4L60E shift points

Potential Tuner

Manually Controlling 4L60E shift points

This is one of those late night ideas that sort of stuck in my head, now I'm trying to think it through a little further.

The 4L60E shift points are controlled by the PCM, and part of the tuning you can do with this software is adjust those shift points. Since it is basically and electrical signal sent by the PCM (based on input from the engine) that tells the tranny when to shift.

I was wondering what it would take to delete that function from the A4 pcm (essentially making it a PCM for a T5) and re-routing the wires to the drivers seat area and connecting it to some sort of paddle shifter behind the steering wheel or a pair of thumb buttons on the steering wheel itself, one for upshifting and one for downshifting. Kind of making it like an autostick transmission on the the new Grand Prix's, except you wouldnt have the option of switching from automatic to autostick.... youd have to control it all the time.

Do you know what kind of signal it would take to do this, or if this is even a feasable undertaking?

Potential Tuner

Re: Manually Controlling 4L60E shift points

It was offered many moons ago by ASG. they found getting the shifter to work off the line was the hard part but it shifted fine once going.

Ask for Adam I am sure he would love to help.

Tell him I sent you.

Ty

Potential Tuner

Re: Manually Controlling 4L60E shift points

I did it years ago before any ls1 pcm software was around. I ran the shift solenoid wires into the car to (2) micro switches mounted to a small bracket next to the shifter handle on the console.
    Moving the shifter handle from gear to gear would contact the micro swithes changing the solenoid on/off state, resulting in 100% full manual shift activation using the stock shifter handle. Any speed, any gear at any time.

Back then I could not turn off the codes that were set from doing this. This resulted in the trans defaulting into full line pressure until I did a key cycle. That was the only side effect, otherwise it worked flawlessly and I made many a n20 pass manually shifting my 98 4l60e.

Steve