Thread: Tuner owners, let's hear your feedback...

Tuner in Training

Tuner owners, let's hear your feedback...

I'm still waiting for the L67-V6 tuner to be ready. In the meantime, how are the LS1 owners enjoying the kit? Are you satisfied with the product? Is it simple to use? Inquiring minds want to know. 8)
    \'98 Grand Prix GTP&&[email protected]&&(bottle fed)

Senior Tuner

Re: Tuner owners, let's hear your feedback...

So far, so good. I'd say it's simple to use, but the
    difficulty is in knowing what you want. Everything
    seems logically laid out and I was able to find all
    of the things I was hoping to modify - but now I
    realize I need to do more thinking and mapping out,
    because there's actually a lot more flexibility, tables
    instead of pick-a-value, etc.

So far on my first night with it I've just downloaded
    my current Predator-tuned PCM image, then taken
    the Predator and set all the values to canned-tune
    defaults and pulled the image of that; then I got
    distracted into mucking around with all of the variables
    I was interested in finding. Tonight before I knock
    off I will unload the Predator canned tune totally and
    get my stock PCM image too. That way I will be able
    to see how far certain things got moved, and get an
    idea of how much more to try. But the things the
    Predator allowed me to set, I found displayed in the
    sensible places with the values I had put. So it's all
    looking pretty coherent, and I haven't come across
    anything yet that I had wanted to touch, but can't
    locate.

Tuner in Training

Over 100 views and only one person replied. Doh. LOL

Come on guys, I need something to get excited about. Let's here the dirt. Hopefully all good! ;D
    \'98 Grand Prix GTP&&[email protected]&&(bottle fed)

I havent gotten much time to play with it, but Ill share my opinion. The editor and scanner both look very good. I like the layout alot. I have never even seen LS1edit, but I could easily find all the tables. The scanner works great. The only thing I have done with the editor is download my stock tune and look around at values, but I love it so far. Definitely a good investment. I like being able to drive down the road and know exactly what my car is doing.
    99 Hugger Orange Z28 M6
    Lid | Long Tubes | Pulley | LS6 Intake | Ported Tbody
    9" | 4.10's | Torque Arm | Panhard Bar | Lower Control Arms
    337rwhp/339rwtq
    8.355 @ 86.28 / 12.828 @ 110.85 1.971 60'

04 Black Cobra (Wife's)
    CAI | Catback | Pulley | Ported Eaton
    502rwhp/548rwtq
    track times coming soon...

Tuner in Training

Well.. I'm a tuning newbe So, I'm not sure what I got yet

It's very well layed out, I just need to figure out what each thing does.. I can see a steep learning curve for me over the next few months. Should be fun! ;D
    John D. Brown&&2001 Pewter Formula Auto&&10.92 @ 122.32 (1.49) | 6.93 @ 98.66 (1.49)&&MTI 2E Heads & X1 cam | Raceweight: 3390

Tuner in Training

I'll oblige the Grinch! I never used edit but from all the info I got on the LS1 Tuning site it was easy to get the fundementals down. Now I have to figure out the rest. I finally got my idle to get out of cruise control mode. I was able to easily scale my MAF table once I figured out my 8th grade math skills needed an upgrade. You have to multiply by 1.20 to decrease the LTFT's by 20. Quantitative values vice %. My Predator tune was a total wack job. I'm suprised I didn't loose my A4.

But regardless I like VCM Edit alot. The VCM Scanner needs work like configureability and full page resolution. I'd like to be able to put other sensor inputs into the scanner. But the playback on the logging is sweet. I like the fact I can do it now, and know that I can undo it myself.

Tuner in Training

Couldn't get mine to work with my usb adapter, I have a pcmcia on order and it should come in next tues, so Ill reserve judgment untill then. One thing I would like to see is a better connection troubleshooting section in the manual. Also, there are allot of "too be released" sections in the manual. For someone who hasn't tuned before (like me) this doesn't help. I am looking forward to tuning it though, as the layout is pretty intuiative (sp?), Ill post again once I get it working.

Suggestion for V2.

When laying out the "buttons" make them all the same length and maybe an outline "box" to box in all related controls.
    Maybe "tool tips" that pop up when hovering over a control with the mouse.
    Just a suggestion for V2.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Potential Tuner

I've only had mine for a few days, and so far - so good. The software loaded easily. No problems with connection. The initial read only took about 2 minutes. The tables are very well laid out and easy to navigate. There are so many parameters to play with - plan on spending a lot of time on tuning forums doing research. The learning curve is very steep in the first few days. The flash is very fast - usually about 20 seconds. The scanner has the basics, but it's not quite on par with Autotap - yet. I would like to see a time stamp, and a few other parameters added. The help section is a bit lacking right now, but it's not a huge problem. Overall, I am very pleased with the product.

Potential Tuner

My tuner not being familiar with the program thought that it would take some time to work his way through it specialy not having the ability to make changes on the fly. His final verdict was that he was very impressed with the software and all though editing on the fly would be preferable the abilty to use the scanned runs for rpm reference points was quite sufficent. He though that the tables were logicaly laid out and easy to maneuver. The software loaded without any problems and I was easily able to download an image a couple day previous of getting to the dyno / tune and also changed some simple settings like cags and fan temps. I was hoping that a detailed manual came with the software explaining each of the settings so as I could eventually tinker a little bit on my own or at least be able to diagnose some of my scanned logs. I expect I should pick up enough tips of the forums that will make me dangerous. All in all I am pleased with my purchase and customer service that I have recieved to date. Best of all on a 2001 WS6 with home port and polished heads, 5 angle valve job, .030 milled off the heads, 228/228 571/571 112 +1 cam and a set of long tubes I dynoed at 431.5 RWHP. ;D Yahoooooo Keep up the great work Keith and the rest of the HPtuners staff!
    Robert Willis&&&&2001 Black WS6, 431.8 RWHP&&