Thread: VATS on '03 Impala 3.4L

Potential Tuner

VATS on '03 Impala 3.4L

My friend has a '03 Impala with the 3.4L engine. Occasionally it will not start, when it doesn't, the security light flashes. From the codes, I diagnosed it as a bad passlock module and bypassed the sensor about 5" from the BCM (One code was B2960, there were a few others related to the BCM and passlock that I don't remember). The door locks also are inoperative, which are controlled by the BCM as well. I'm 99% sure that the BCM is bad, but the only two affected areas seem to be VATS and the door locks. One of the door lock outputs works, the other is open inside the BCM (both wires have 12v or both wires have ground, depending on whether I try to lock or unlock the doors).

What I want to do for him is build a module that operates the door locks based on the input from the switch, or the power or ground from the one good BCM terminal for the RKE. Of course, the big concern for me is the VATS. I have no problem building and programming simple control modules, but serial communication with the PCM is a lot more than what I've tried to do, and at this point I don't have the time to try to reverse engineer a workaround, and I admit, I probably wouldn't get it even if I tried. On my Cavalier, I was able to disable the VATS system entirely using HP tuners. Looking through this forum, I see a lot of people have had problems disabling the VATS on a lot of these cars, but I didn't see problems specifically with this car, and I don't know if the cars that had problems share the same PCM. How likely is it that I could "fix" his VATS problem with HP tuners?

Thanks,
    Jason

Senior Tuner
    Post a copy of the tune bud?
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Advanced Tuner
    yes vats can be turned off on these cars and they start just fine, no other wiring needed
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear