Thread: USB Adapter

Tuner in Training

USB Adapter

I spoke with Keith last night and I thought my troubles were fixed but as he predicted the trouble is back. He thinks the problem is with the USB to serial adapter I'm using.

My notebook has only USB, therefore an adapter is needed. Which product has been tested to work? Why does the adpater work in scanner mode but not in PCM Flash mode?

Thoughts and/or suggestions.

Tuner in Training

Re: USB Adapter

I haven't flashed my PCM yet (I have read it though) but so far my KeySpan USB-Serial (actually a USB to mini-port replicator) is working fine.

I haven't tried it on this yet but I've had good luck with Belkins as well. What make is your adapter?

Shawn

Tuner in Training

It's a no name brand unit I bought at a computer show a while back. I think the name brand is prolific.

Tuner in Training

This is the model I have been using so far:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/mpr/

If you were using other logging equipment at the same time that needs a serial port this:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA49w/

Might be a better choice.

Good luck,

Shawn

You will notice 99% of your errors from a USB to Serial converter will occur during a read.

The read process speed is dictated by the PCM. The PCM will send back quite a bit of data at a very fast rate. Our interface is built to take it but if the USB to Seral converter isn't up to the task, bad data will be passed through and you will recieve a lot of checksum errors.

1 way to work around this would be to start the read in the 1x mode (Un check Use High Speed Mode Box). That may slow down the processes enough for the USB to Serial adapter to keep up.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training

Won't a usb 2.0 to serial adapter work?
    Proud owner of a \'98 Z-28. Just another Red Headed Step Child!

Tuner in Training

" You will notice 99% of your errors from a USB to Serial converter will occur during a read. "

Thanks for the info. I had no problem reading out my 1 meg binary at high speed so it looks like the Keyspan keeps up fine.I think it took about 5 minutes to grab it.

Shawn