Thread: transmission basics

transmission basics

anybody got a tuning "how to" for the 4t65e? been kinda playing with others tunes a little but and am pretty good with engine tuning and wanna move on to knowing more about these transmissions...

did a search and came up empty...

any help would be great

jarred

Senior Tuner
    Ok, I see what you mean. There were a few threads in this section where Russ K showed me how to deal with a v6 transmision a few years ago. There are a couple of differences between the 6's and the 8's in this respect. Don't use a v8 thread to try and tune a 6.... just an fyi
    If you post your tune then I can go through what I do with you and Im sure once we start some of the other guys will chime in as we go. There is a lot to do, but fairly simple really once you get into it. A couple of questions for you to start with though:
    Is the car stock? If not, what mods have been done? ie: heads, cam, valve springs, polly mounts for trans and engine...etc...? From this you can decide if you need or want to raise shift points, or keep them close to stock and not run any higher in the RPM. If poly mounts have been installed you can use more pressure on the shifts, stronger valve springs will allow more RPM without "valve flutter". See where this is going? To me a trans tune is as individual as a fingerprint! There are basics to it I guess you could say, but the set up of the car is very important to match the best trans tune for it.
    So, post your stock tune and what you have now. We'll get you going on it
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Thanks man!!! here is my current setup (dont have performance shift) and ill try to hunt down a stock 02 one for you too...

shift kit in the tranny other than that its stock...

1.84 rockers,S2IC, zzp headers, 3.0, genV, LS1 TB, and sollid upper mounts(poly)

(supporting mods for all)

heres a stocker

thanks again

Senior Tuner
    You have a PM
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Tuner
    not to hijack a thread but for the trans basics is there an easy way via trans tuning to eliminate the bog out the car does when your going uphill and the rpm drops about 100-200 rpms and just bogs the car out? i read this issue on another forum here

http://www.gpona.com/forums/viewtopi...=26078#p40729]

issue is he's using a dhp tuner so idk what table would be similar to the "tcc pressure apply rate" table for us in hpt... i saw tcc duty cycle but i don't wanna touch it since i don't know 100% what it does...

i tried changing the maf table by increasing fuel at the certain maf area that was being affected to see if it'd fix it or if it was false kr being shown

tune is uploaded before and after edit made along with scan that was done before the edit
    Last edited by Wingman520; 02-04-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: uploaded current tune file

hopefully Paul or someone who has messed with DHP can chime in here... sorry I cannot help as I would guess the TCC would be the solution...

GL

Tuner
    ya i only used dhp for like 2 weeks then it bricked my friends pcm on his 04 gp then we got hpt i'll give it a shot and find out what the results are... if so this'll help the bog out we all get

Advanced Tuner
    timing in the cruise cells will help any uphill "bog" go away in my experience
    especially if your talking highway , I see 48-50* in those areas
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingman520 View Post
    I saw tcc duty cycle but I don't wanna touch it since I don't know 100% what it does...
    Just the ammount of lock/slip at a given time. I added 3% to all of the highest values I saw under TCC Max (some areas were around 94% now are 97%) and that dropped my RPM's by about 100-200. (for gas mileage) You could just go the other direction, lowering most of those 95% areas by 3% or so. It's nothing drastic, but might give you that extra 100 or so RPM's you need. You could also tune out TCC in 3rd gear all together as well just by changing the TCC Apply Speed table so the settings for 3rd look just like 2nd. (256 mph) Both of theese should be perfectly safe.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murphinator View Post
    timing in the cruise cells will help any uphill "bog" go away in my experience
    especially if your talking highway , I see 48-50* in those areas
    I do about 80% city so that's what I'm tuning for... Highest timing advance the aeroforce shows is 42 deg... I'd like to hit 50 but never seen it hit that...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps
    Just the ammount of lock/slip at a given time. I added 3% to all of the highest values I saw under TCC Max (some areas were around 94% now are 97%) and that dropped my RPM's by about 100-200. (for gas mileage) You could just go the other direction, lowering most of those 95% areas by 3% or so. It's nothing drastic, but might give you that extra 100 or so RPM's you need. You could also tune out TCC in 3rd gear all together as well just by changing the TCC Apply Speed table so the settings for 3rd look just like 2nd. (256 mph) Both of theese should be perfectly safe.
    I'll give this a shot i'll upload some more scans I did tonight after changing the TCC Apply and added 30% to it in higher areas if not I'll disable it and try that route as well... Thanks guys!