Thread: Whih Laptop To Use..

Potential Tuner

Whih Laptop To Use..

Just getting started... Which laptop to use and operating system?

Wull this software do what ls1edit does?
    SCCA T-1 Natl Champions&&1999,2001,2002,2003,2004&&Corvettes, CTSV\'s, F Bodies and More!!!

Re: Whih Laptop To Use..

The laptop requires a serial port and a windows based operating system, windows 98 or newer.

Our software is similar to LS1 Edit.

With our software you can edit VCM/PCM values, save them.. and then log them with our scanner.

We have a bunch of screenshots on the products page, there is a screenshots link right next to the VCM Editor name.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training

I saw the 90Mhz requirement - what happens if my laptop is under this?

I can get a free 75Mhz Pentium Thinkpad, and give it a completely new Windows install, turning off everything (sound, parallel ports, you name it) that isn't necessary for VCM Tuner. I can also max out the expansion memory to make sure it isn't a problem.

Do you think I'd run into problems, and what should I expect?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus
    The laptop requires a serial port and a windows based operating system, windows 98 or newer.

The slowest laptop we could find for testing was 90mhz.

I cannot gaurantee a problem free programming session with speeds under that...

I know though that if you try to use the scan tools gauge and chart displays on slow laptops it will be quite choppy. The table display should work ok though.

We'd prefer people use laptops over 90mhz but its not an option to all. On a 90mhz laptop though we where able to program problem free.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training

Thanks for the quick answer Magnus.

The laptop was free, but for the price of getting it running for this (I need a pcmcia cdrom drive, more than the 16M RAM it came with, and either a new batt or car adapter), I'll prob end up spending just as much as buying a slightly faster machine.

I booted it for the first time this afternoon and up comes windows 3.11

-Jeff

the 16 megs will hurt you for sure... if you do upgrade to 98, it uses a good part of that for the OS (8-12 megs) and the rest is for programs. IF you could get it to 64 megs or so it might work..
    But like you said.. theres a lot of stuff its lacking - like CD-ROMS.

My business may be getting some 1 yr old IBM laptops for a good price.. we are trying to buy the entire inventory from an large ins co.'s upgrades. Lemme know if you may be interested
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.