Thread: What if you change the VCM?

What if you change the VCM?

What happens if I have to change the PCM (accident, whatever)?

Will I be able to use the edited flash files for the old PCM on the new one, or will I have to download the stock files off of the new PCM, and edit those?

If I have to download and edit the new files, is there a function to "cut and paste" data from edited files to new ones?

Also, does the possibility of corrupting data during a download increase the more you re-flash the PCM?

I mean, I know the more often you do it, the greater chance of it happening, but does the actual EEPROM itself become more susceptible to errors while writing as the number of times it's been reflashed increases? Does it wear out, I guess would be a way to put it.

Thanks.

Re: What if you change the VCM?

Quote Originally Posted by guardsman01
    What happens if I have to change the PCM (accident, whatever)?

Will I be able to use the edited flash files for the old PCM on the new one, or will I have to download the stock files off of the new PCM, and edit those?

If I have to download and edit the new files, is there a function to "cut and paste" data from edited files to new ones?

Also, does the possibility of corrupting data during a download increase the more you re-flash the PCM?

I mean, I know the more often you do it, the greater chance of it happening, but does the actual EEPROM itself become more susceptible to errors while writing as the number of times it's been reflashed increases? Does it wear out, I guess would be a way to put it.

Thanks.
    If you have the VCM Suite Pro no problem. If you have Std then the new PCM must be of the same OS ID and be setup for your car using either VCM Suite Pro or Tech2 (ie. VIN model/year, linked to BCM etc.) then the Std version can be used to restore your last tune.

As for the flash chip, an Intel doc i downloaded says they are good for at least 1,000 cycles. I can probably say i have flashed one of my bench PCM's many, many more times than you ever will flash your car's PCM and it's still going

I count sheep in hex...

If I'm reading what you said right, as long as I got a new PCM reflashed with the same file and calibration number as before (VIN, etc.) from a service department before I installed it, I can use my old files, right??

However, if they flashed it with my VIN, but it had a different calibration number (i.e., an updated cal came out from GM), then my old tuner files wouldn't work, correct?

And if the original OS ID isn't loaded onto it, I would have to do all new flash files for the new PCM, correct?

Does a PCM have to be linked with the BCM, etc., manually, or does it do it automatically?

Thanks. John

To be able to load your old calibration back into the new PCM the PCM's OS ID must be the same as the file you are trying to load. If it is a different OS ID then it must be a valid OS for the model/year you are licensed for else you won't be able to flash and if you do this then you will not be able to reflash your old calibration.

If you are thinking of the Std version then i'd recommend getting a dealer to reflash the PCM with your correct OS, VIN and relink the PCM.

Relinking the BCM can be automatic, the PCM must be set into "learn mode" by modifying the data near the VIN info.

We haven't put much thought into a mail order PCM/stock reflashing service etc. in future maybe, but most tuners could offer this kind of service at a reasonable cost. Who knows? maybe someone who buys the pro version might offer their services to forum members...

I count sheep in hex...

Cool, thanks. Sorry for sounding like a moron, if I had to get a new PCM, I'd get it reflashed by a dealer anyways.

I just wasn't sure if the OS ID that the dealer would get for the new PCM would be identical to the old one, or if I'd have to ask for it specifically. Thanks