Thread: $1000 for injectors - I dont think so - Just say no to overpriced injectors!!

$1000 for injectors - I dont think so - Just say no to overpriced injectors!!

Hey guys, I just have to say that I am sick and tired of reading posts about ID injectors being the only injector to buy. Just so you know, this is not advertising, or paid compensation in any way shape or form, its my opinion - and Im tired of getting crap from people that tell me I should have bought differant injectors. After much debate, and reading plenty online about the differences in injectors, I came to a decision. I chose Fuel Injector Connection injectors. Im currently building my T88 turbo project and needed a ton of fuel, so, I decided to go with the FIC1000's. There is just no way to justify spending almost double on the same injectors, The same injectors you say? How can that be? Not knowing crap about really big injectors, I actually called FIC and talked to the owner Jon, and he filled me in on how they make the injectors, and the differences. Well it turns out Fuel Injector Connection has been making these injectors long before ID has. FIC has been putting on their special tip since 07 and have been modifying injectors long before that. In fact after doing some research on how these injectors are made, it made my decision even easier. You see there are two ways these injector tips can be made. On a lathe which can and will have runout, or on a computer controlled mill designed by Jon Banner (owner) for this specific use. Of course the injectors that cost almost double must be made on the superior machine right? Nope the expensive ones ID's make are made on a lathe. FIC makes thiers on a custom made CNC machine made in Begium - and designed by Fuel injector connection. All measurements are laser controlled. That's why their tip does not have any tool marks and every one is identical. All injectors are measured and batched by both flow rate and response time. In fact, FIC has been doing it YEARS before the ID guys where around. My injectors were flowed on the prototype of their new flow bench. The youtube is attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLL26...2I4znvhQ4jP0q2

Next thing to do research on was the data needed to program the injectors with. Everyone makes up these big stories on how ID has all this great data available, and they are the only injectors to buy. Its enough to make me wanna puke. Did you know that the ID1000 and FIC1000 use the same base injector? Yep its just a simple Ford GT500 injector with a different tip. So if they use the same base injector with the same coils, same resistances, why would the data be any different? Sure the tips are made different, but the fuel weight, density, volume, and base injector are all the same. Therefore it goes to say that the data would be the same too, right? Decisions are made so much simpler when you have the right information. What many people are saying about FIC injectors not being the same quality is not true, they are better. The company even cares enough to package them in actual packaging, and even that looks good too. (see pic below) So the first impressions are good, what about the tuning you ask? Well read on folks, cause it gets even better.

After installing the injectors, the tuning for them was super easy - more on that in a moment. I will say out of this whole experience the biggest pain in the butt had nothing to do with the injectors, it was the scaling of my first tune. After figuring that out, it was a piece of cake. The best run I ever had in my 2006 Trailblazer SS on the old injectors was 13.1 @ 102.8 MPH. That’s in a 5050lb Truck with me in it. The truck had a ported stock intake, ported stock exhaust manifolds, CAI & cat less 3" exhaust. Other than that it is a stock engine without even having had the valve covers off. Transmission has had a sonnax stage 2 shift kit and 3600 Yank as its only mods. That's not too shabby for a 5050lb brick!. I used the same data the ID1000's use, which I downloaded from their site. Why use the ID data you ask, cause it’s the same injector, and the data works – very well I might add. The new injectors, out of the box, with ZERO VE tuning, where about 20% richer down low in the 15-26kpa areas, almost spot on compared to the other tune in the regular driving areas, and about 5% lean at WOT (94-99kpa). That’s using a base 4bar FP, and setting the injectors at 63.49 across the board for flow rate. Not bad for running a scaled tune with totally different injectors that flow 3.5 times as much fuel. These injectors are very linear in how they flow. Wanna hear some more good news? I ended up having to go back to my stock intake instead of the ported one due to the top of it not being sealed correctly. (Intake was cut in two for porting & runners shortened to 5" instead of stock 12") After VE tuning the scaled tune for the stock unported intake, I netted my best time ever! 12.9 @ 104 Maybe to you that's not a big difference, but to me it was. This is due to the fact that the ported intake was worth .18 in the quarter over the stock one. So that means I beat my best time ever with the stock unported intake. That means I picked up around .2 minimum just from injectors, even with a lesser intake. That can only be attributed to better atomization of fuel at WOT as the VE was spot on in both tunes, and I was running the same AFR at WOT. To make it even better, the temperature out when I ran my new personal best was 39 degrees, and my previous best was in the low 20's!! If I was to go back to that ported intake and have a cold day, there would be a for sure another tenth or two to be had. Now that's awesome in my book.

Now if you think these FIC injectors are from some off the wall no name company, check out a list of REAL companies that use them. They mostly do wholesale to distributors, and retail places, but you can buy them off the web for only $599!! Even Hendricks Motorsports use them in their builds, what's that say for them? Here are a few other companies that are currently using these injectors. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Vortech Engineering, A & A Corvette, Lingenfelter, Shelby American, Modern muscle, Henderson performance, Virginia speed, Carolina speed, Texas speed, Fast Motorsports, (Had to do a shout out for Brandon @ FAST!), Corvettes of Westchester, Pat Musi race engines,Vengeance Racing, etc, etc. This is just a few of the big names, he said there are 264 shops worldwide that use his injectors.

So what does this all add up too? Save your money people! Why give someone else $400+ extra for the same base injector with the same flow rate? It just doesn't make sense!! I used the money I saved on injectors for the turbo parts. All I can say is thank you Fuel Injector Connection (NOT to be confused with FIC in Florida I was told). If you have any questions, or need injectors, give them a call at 770 888-1662 and tell them you heard it here, it will make their day :-)

Thanks for listening,

Walter
    2000 Regal GS ~ 3.25 Pulley ~ Headers ~ 3"ex ~ 1.85 Rockers
    Sold 06 TBSS ~ Front Mount T88 ~ 0-30 in 1.17 ~ 0-60 in 3.0
    Wanted ~ Engine-less 95/Older 4x4 ~ Jeep/S-10/Ranger for TT Project

good post.but waiting for banish to reply !lol
    tsp LQ9 408, wiesco -10cc, ls7s cam,tsp 5.3Lheads ,stock rockers with upgraded trunions,BBK intake manifold;ported polished intake runners,80MM Tb,haltech CAI,Longtubes,RPM full drivetrain,3:15 gears.

Thanks, LOL - Im sure there will be some haters chiming in on this one. But hey, if they wanna waste a crap load of money, let em! And dont believe what others say about idle quality, my 6.0 idles better than stock ever did.
    Last edited by gn2beatu; 03-22-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Boy, what you don't know could fill a warehouse.

You know nothing about how ID machines their injectors tips, you know nothing about how an injector is dynamically characterized, and you just generally are clueless.

Care to explain why FIC had to steal the Injector Dynamics data sheets and remove all the ID logos, then pass it out as their own?

Care to explain why they shut up in public discussions after people in the know start bringing up how the injectors are characterized and the data is developed?

ID never stated they manufacture their own injectors. The fact that the ID1000s come from a GT500 injector is nothing new. The same goes for the ID850 and it's core. It's the fact that their machining is very precise, and they dynamically flow every injector (FIC does not). On top of that, they match them to within 26 microseconds on response time so you get eight injectors that are functionally identical. Do you even know how response time is calculated? I say calculated because it is not measured, but I'm sure you knew that. *rolls eyes*
    Last edited by DSteck; 03-22-2012 at 12:56 PM.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

How would you know, have you been to thier shop? Have you seen thier latest injector flowing machine? Your a smart guy, tell me how Fuel Injector Connection does it then? Guess what, you cant, cause youve never been there, right? The owner Jon has never even talked to you. So please enlighten me as to how thier proccess is so inferior and you have never been there to witness it.

Just for your info, they do dynamicaly flow every injector. And your really going to talk about 26 microseconds, LOL - Millionths of seconds, how can you even time that? Come on, if this proccess is so great, how come ID never produced a video on how they do this? Probably cause it cant be done accurately - not because they dont want to give away secrets. Lets get real, these are identically the same injector base, same specs as far as coil, opening, closing, and even the flow rates. The only reason your defending it, is cause your a dealer for ID. Just an FYI, ID data is public, anyone can download it - thats not stealing.

So I know nothing about how they make thier tips you say. Then how come you can see tool marks on the ID tips. Theres no tool marks on the Fuel injector ones. If your so concerned about quality parts being a dealer, have you even looked at the Fuel Injector ones?

Put your money where your mouth is, the owner is willing to put up a set of injectors to have tested by a 3rd party against yours. Are you willing? They can not only inspect the flow, but also the quality of the tips.
    Last edited by gn2beatu; 03-22-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    Hey guys, I just have to say that I am sick and tired of reading posts about ID injectors being the only injector to buy. Just so you know, this is not advertising, or paid compensation in any way shape or form, its my opinion
    Why not let Jon Banner fight his own battles?

I welcome the opportunity to discuss any of these points with Jon, right here in public for all to see.

You just made it blatantly clear that you don't know the first thing about dynamic characterization. I'm not even going to waste my time with you.

Do you even know what it means to dynamically match injectors? I'm betting no.

Stripping out the logos and trademarks of intellectual property and passing it out as your own is stealing. Kind of how it is illegal to retune sections of a book verbatim and call it your own.
    Last edited by DSteck; 03-22-2012 at 02:35 PM.

I'm going to stay out of this for the most part but I will say I am with the OP on this.

Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    I'm going to stay out of this for the most part but I will say I am with the OP on this.

You also showed just how much you don't know on the Corvette Forum thread, and you cling to your misinterpretation even after it was clearly spelled out.

The actual injector core has no bearing on the injector data after it has been modified.

Maybe I should clarify, $1k for a set of injectors is rediculous regardless of it's "characterization".
    Bill Winters

Senior Tuner
    For the typical modded street car, I doubt that kind of precision is necessary. What else in each of those 8 cylinders is held to such a tight tolerence or precision. Certainly not air flow.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    You also showed just how much you don't know on the Corvette Forum thread, and you cling to your misinterpretation even after it was clearly spelled out.

The actual injector core has no bearing on the injector data after it has been modified.
    And you just showed how much of an arrogant asshole you are. There are ways to communicate your point without taking the unmeasured responses you fling out in a manic haste to prove you know more than anyone else.

Regardless if you are right or wrong, you can't seem to express you position without bashing people for disagreeing with you.

Take 15mg of Abilify and call me in the morning.

I'm not going to go digging through that thread but for the record I believe I did conceed that injector offset changes after an injector's flow is modified whether it be drilling or re-tipping. ID made that pretty clear. What I held on to is that the offset difference is inherently tuned out via the tuning process.
    Bill Winters

Speaking of Corvette forum....

You also showed just how much you don't know on the Corvette Forum

If you know so much, explain why this post (pic below) was deleted from the Corvette forum after 10 minutes? Why did this happen, I thought quality control was so great. I wonder how many other sets are out there like this? This guy had a flow bench, how many other sets are out there that didnt get tested and are way off? Food for thought.........

@ 5 liter eater - I agree, any little differances get tuned out in the VE, MAF, & Trims.

There are no downsides to THESE particular injectors is what Im getting at. Im not speaking about every set of injectors, as I dont have experience with all of the others, but it seems like their 60llb, 1000's, and 2000's have ALLOT of happy customers. Can you imagine saving OVER $1000 on a set of 2000cc injectors? (No need to get raped over injectors is my point) Thats allot of money to save that can be used on other parts......... just sayin.
    Last edited by gn2beatu; 03-22-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SargeZ06 View Post
    And you just showed how much of an arrogant asshole you are. There are ways to communicate your point without taking the unmeasured responses you fling out in a manic haste to prove you know more than anyone else.

Regardless if you are right or wrong, you can't seem to express you position without bashing people for disagreeing with you.

Take 15mg of Abilify and call me in the morning.
    I'm tired of clueless clowns (specifically the OP, who is notorious for horrible posts of misinformation) talking about things they don't understand. You can think I'm an arrogant asshole. I'm fine with that. I'll still sleep at night.

Quote Originally Posted by gn2beatu View Post
    If you know so much, explain why this post (pic below) was deleted from the Corvette forum after 10 minutes? Why did this happen, I thought quality control was so great. I wonder how many other sets are out there like this? This guy had a flow bench, how many other sets are out there that didnt get tested and are way off?

Food for thought, just sayin.........

@ 5 liter eater - I agree, any little differances get tuned out in the VE, MAF, & Trims.
    Uh, he's using those injectors in his car. ID is not a sponsor of Corvette Forum, so he deleted it himself. Why don't you ask him? Flow benches are not the end all... They can carry horrible discrepancies because of inadequate control equipment.

And again, you show what you don't know. A MAF cannot compensate in any way, shape, or form for changes in injector response time based on MAP and/or voltage. Error gets built into VE just because it has MAP as an axis label, but still cannot compensate for voltage. That makes a difference during cranking events. Lol @ relying on trims.

The point has been made, thread closed.
    I count sheep in hex...