Thread: where I am vs where to go from here...

Advanced Tuner

where I am vs where to go from here...

ok, first off, I modified my transmission settings to my liking, and I have it shifting nice and smooth at normal driving, and firm at WOT. Now, if I am correct, I only have to modify the normal as performance is not used, correct?

Also, I scanned for KR and modified my high octane table by engine>spark advance>high octane. Then, I took my Ltft, and Stft, and followed instructions in basic how to to adjust. Is there anything else I should tune out? Also, what should I modify to start tweaking max power out of motor?

And final BIG question, what kind of stuff will I have to start modifying once I receive my heads/cam package. I'll post once I have all the specs, but looking to learn this, then start tuning for heads/cam later.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Re: where I am vs where to go from here...

ok, first off, I modified my transmission settings to my liking, and I have it shifting nice and smooth at normal driving, and firm at WOT. Now, if I am correct, I only have to modify the normal as performance is not used, correct?
    Performance tables are not used on f-bodies, you are correct.

Also, I scanned for KR and modified my high octane table by engine>spark advance>high octane. Then, I took my Ltft, and Stft, and followed instructions in basic how to to adjust. Is there anything else I should tune out? Also, what should I modify to start tweaking max power out of motor?
    All you can really do is optimize the timing and fuel/air tables. If you've done that and you WOT AFR is the same as what is commanded in the PE table then you can't really get anymore power out of it. Do you have any drivability complaints?

And final BIG question, what kind of stuff will I have to start modifying once I receive my heads/cam package. I'll post once I have all the specs, but looking to learn this, then start tuning for heads/cam later.
    Heads and different cam profiles will alter the breathing characteristics of the engine and it will be best to modify the VE table since this is what the computer references airflow too. Generally speaking there will be pumping losses down low that will result in the VE needing to be lower than stock. The motor will flow more air mid to high RPM, hence more power, and the VE will need to be higher than stock in those areas.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

Advanced Tuner

OMG!!!! EXCELLENT RESPONSE screamn. VERY straightforward in easy terms. I LIKE IT!!!! Thank you SOOOOO Much. I am very serious. I have been begging for easy responses like this.

And no, no driveability complaints at all
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner

Heads and different cam profiles will alter the breathing characteristics of the engine and it will be best to modify the VE table since this is what the computer references airflow too. Generally speaking there will be pumping losses down low that will result in the VE needing to be lower than stock. The motor will flow more air mid to high RPM, hence more power, and the VE will need to be higher than stock in those areas.

question:

I've already installed my cam, maybe some heads soon too. I have HPT on order right now, and when i receive i will scan and log and probably find that my LTFT are probably pretty off correct? I've had a little bit of tuning via Diablosport predator and custom shop tuning so I would expect that my VE table is no longer stock? Would i still tune for part throttle in the same prescribed manner as Oz's writeup???

Also, I have crappy ass hot starts and a bit of idle trouble, so once i take care of PT and PE WOT tuning i should address the idle right? Thanks in advance...
    2002 Quicksilver Corvette Z06

And then...

The only experience I have with the Predator is with my Ford so I don't know what the stock predator program does. I also don't know how your tunner tuned the car. If he tuned it right then everything should be good to go but what you'll find more often than not is when you get a custom dyno tune all they do is get the AFR where they want it on the dyno and maybe play with the timing a little. Then they send you on your way and that's where all your other small problems are stemming from.

You are going to have to get some logging done first so we can figure out where you're at before I can make any suggestions about what to do.

If I where to take a wild guess at it I would say that the tunner scaled the IFR to bring the LTFTs negative and then messed with the PE table to get the AFR where he thought it should be. Then he may have messed with the timing where he saw the car running while WOT.

WS6snake-Eater wrote up a great thread about VE table tuning which can be found here:

It's sticky'd in the GM V8 Tuning section as well.

Ozorowsky was alot of good info in his thread also which is sticky'd at the top of this forum.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires