Thread: Newbie needing VE table help

Tuner

Newbie needing VE table help

I am newbie to both programming and cars. I have read the car forums for a couple of years. I feel I know some about Corvettes and Camaros but not how their computers work. I have a 2004 corvette that is stock other than a Haltech Stinger R air intake. I have an LM-1 connected to my Hptuner. For the last few days I have scanned the help file a couple of times. I am going to print it out so I can read it when not engaged. I have been on LS1tech and corvetteforum tuning section. have made it through the editor, scanner and flash utilities. I chopped CAGS using 0 in the TPS spot as someone posted. It worked so I guess I manged that okay. I made my first log and the STFT were pretty much 0 or 1. My LTFT were between 13 and 10 across the board. My AFR seemed what I thought was lean to 4200 RPM's but no KR. In any case, I follow the help and for the FTC's I took and added my LT and ST's divided in half. I understood that to be a % that I wanted to change that cell by so say the two added were 10 divided by 2 gave me 5% I wanted to change. I then went to the editor, loaded my original bin file but saved it under a dated name (I have several or the orginals saved everywhere) and went to

Edit->Engine->Airflow....clicked Main VE(Primary VE vs RPM vs MAP)

When there, I picked the cells to change. Went to the "Edit multiple Values" block and clicked the "Times" button. I put 1.05 (5%) in the blank box and hit commit. When done with all the cells, I saved everything and loaded it back into the car via the flash utility. Logged another 15 minutes or so and there were changes but the numbers are very chaotic and really no better. I reset the fuel trim thing under the the VCM controls as the helpfile mentioned. Was I supposed to put "Plus" "5" for the change vs times 1.05. Is that why my changes aren't making an impact on the table. SOrry for the long post. Making sure I am changing everything correctly. Scream or Jimmy, if you get this and are willing read my first and last CVS files, that would be awesome but know you have already done this quite a bit lately and it must get old. Sorry for the long post. THanks a bunch.

Jim
    2008 Machine Silver Corvette Vert MN6

Re: Newbie needing VE table help

Hey Jim,
    I am having the same issue on my 03 Z06. I have logged and changed the VE table three times now using the method outlined in the help file and it hasn't hardly moved my LTFT's. They started out in the +17-20 range and now they are in the +15-17 range. I think I'm going to take out the 'divide by two' part and add/subtract the entire value each cell is off and see what happens.
    Aaron

'03 Z06 Corvette - The Normal Stuff.....
    EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101, Variable Camshaft Tuning
    EFI University Evangelist

Tuner

There is a stickie in the V-8 section that describes how to set the VE table with the MAF disconnected. That was the only way I could get reasonable results. After the VE table is dialed in without the MAF, reconnect the MAF, do a log and scale the MAF table to bring it in-line. This seemed to work for me.

Brad
    2007 VR z06...stock right now

Tuner

Hey 405HP,

S2002S is correct. This was like one of my first post before they made a sticky located at and should help out quite a bit. Good luck.

Jim K.

How does this work on a Corvette with the IAT in the MAF sensor? Won't I get a trouble code for the IAT sensor?
    Aaron

Tuner

405 HP.
    You need to keep your IAT sensor connected, The ECU needs that reference to do its calculations.
    I thing there is a post in V8 Tuning that tells how to for U.S. cars that have them both together.

Mark

Tuner

405HP,

Check out this link I started on another forum before I even got my HPtuners. It has a great schematic of the IAT and MAF wires. Basically, gasp, I cut the MAF wires and then soldered in my own 3 wire connector for the MAF so I can connect and disconnect the MAF any time I want leaving the IAT connected. As for codes, you can also read on the stickied message about the codes and how to disable the mil light. I know others bought the pins to the serial connectors from radio shack and somehow used those to connect the IAT temporarily without cutting any wires. Hope this helps. I really wished I had the ability/parts to make a pigtail kind of like the CAGS eliminator plug that just has the IAT wires connected. Anyway, hope this helps.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=919152

Jim K.

Great info guys! Much appreciated. I'm going to look for some connectors to make a pigtail. I'm NOT cutting any wires on my car.

Corpsvette, do you have the spreadsheet that Sidestep posted on Corvetteforum for scaling the MAF table? Apparently, the link is dead now.

Aaron