Thread: Pcmforless Vs Hptuners

Pcmforless Vs Hptuners

OK HERE WE GO!! So whos better? Whats the difference? PCMFORLESS VS HPTUNERS. Whats the difference? What do you guys offere that they dont or the other way around? I know the price is different. But who should we buy from and whats the benefits of buying one over the other. thanks David

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Re: PCM VS HPTUNERS

hptuners is software...pcmforless is a mail order tune company...hptuners you do the work but can change your tune as many times as you want...pcmforless more or less guesses whats gonna work best for your application & will ship you a whole pcm
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

what kind of mods will hpturners software perform?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

there are over 400 editable ls1 tables that you can currently access, you name it, you can probably change it.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

the thing that you need to understand is that a mail order tune..is just a guess for your car...and every car is extremely different....

I have now RE TUNED over 20 vehicles that had mail order tunes...asnd some were pcmforless tunes...
    every car that I have touched that had a mail order tune needed a fairly substancial amount of correction to get the car running correctly.

Remember..a mail order tune is a GUESS

with HP Tuners you can analyze the data using the well laid out scanner and you can edit the tables in the PCM yourself.

yes a mail order tune is an easy way to get somthing in the way of a tune...
    but with all of the people on here willing to help and so many writeups on other bulletin boards its eay to get understanding of the basics...and the basics will get you a lot closer than a "mail order guess"

not to mention that many of us(or atleast Me) are working on writeups for how to tune that will hopefully be included in the HPT help files soon (when we are done with the writeups that is..)
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    there are over 400 editable ls1 tables that you can currently access, you name it, you can probably change it.
    actually at last count there was just over 500, and if we counted the same way others do (ie. we count many of the various trans tables/values as 1 table, whereas others count them as multiple tables/values) it would be over 600...

I count sheep in hex...

pcmforless would be a waste of money if it was mail order
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by ws6firebirdta00
    pcmforless would be a waste of money if it was mail order
    I agree!

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.33 @ 119.84 mph OLSD Tune

Tuning done by www.GearsAreUs.com

I agree also. My buddy just got a mail order tune for $100 for his Z06. All of his mods were reported to the guy there. I reset the fuel trims and logged it after the tune and his long term fuel trims were +14. I could see where the guy made a lot of changes (using the advanced file compare) and he did say to let him know how it worked out (he was wanting to please) but the tune was (in my opinion) way off.
    Last edited by Nithros; 12-21-2005 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    yes a mail order tune is an easy way to get somthing in the way of a tune...
    but with all of the people on here willing to help and so many writeups on other bulletin boards its eay to get understanding of the basics...and the basics will get you a lot closer than a mail order guess;
    I couldn't agree more. I've got my GA in the 13's NA!! There' s no way I could have done this with a mail order with the performance parts I've put on(I've seen the results...not good).

I post alot of questions and 9 times out of 10 I get an answer (pretty much the same day). Learning to tune is a lot of fun and actually provides a purpose going to the track, other than just beating our old times.

Something else to keep in mind, HPT offers 2 cars, and with the soon to be released Ford and Chrysler tuning, it'll be pretty hard not to find another car you can work on
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Tuner
    best bang for your buck argument here.

I have used HP Tune on 6 Australian Commodores, some multiple times after more mods. All the tunes were different so there is no way I could just have one and mail it to someone. However, there are a couple of settings that could be made generic and would give some improvement. Ulitimately, you get what you pay for and in the end some people want a bargain and some people want 'best practice'.

What I liked about PCMforless is: I needed a 2bar L98 tune for a Corvette, which they could do. Then using Tuner CAT I had a base to start tuning the car from.
    LS1 LS2 LS7 tuner, L98, LT1 & Haltec