Thread: maf vs ve tune

maf vs ve tune

can i get a few to ring in on this...i have always tuned both maf and below 4000rpm ve in a steady state with all adders, subtractors off...no problem.

when i spoke to another tuner, he told me steady state for maf, but not for ve with stft's, as the ve table is coming into play in transient states or at really low flows, but it's not ever a steady factor, so it wouldn't be optimal to tune it that way. he said he has always pulsed up the throttle from 0to100% and back to fill histo. BOY THAT WOULD BE EASY!

so i started reading, and it seems it's split out there as to this theory...so i thought i would see, since i'm getting ready to tackle first one virtual table.

not interested in wideband vs not discussion...as at low rpm, i've had more issues with widebands not being accurate than i do with o2's at stoich. just want opinions, not links to past discussions, as i've read them all twice...

It should all be done steady state. The PCM uses the VE as a sanity check on the MAF. If it is erratically dialed in, it won't have any value. Fail the MAF and watch how fueling looks.

Now... It can be difficult to hit the high load stuff, so there isn't always a clean way to generate that.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    It should all be done steady state. The PCM uses the VE as a sanity check on the MAF. If it is erratically dialed in, it won't have any value. Fail the MAF and watch how fueling looks.

Now... It can be difficult to hit the high load stuff, so there isn't always a clean way to generate that.
    thanks. thought i'd been wasting time here. i'm amazed at how many others say diff...

I'm certainly no expert but considering there is a time lag between the combustion chamber and wideband down the exhaust pipe I cant see how non steady state measuring could ever be accurate, or even consistant.
    I would guess the reason you see some people say transisent is ok and others say steady state only is that most bolt on type cars aren't really that sensative, the car will perform well despite small tuning mistakes (not just the VE table), you only have to look at some of the woeful factory or mail order tunes getting about in cars that seem to run perfectly ok.
    2010 GXP Maloo ute, LS3, 6L80E.
    MM heads, 240/252@50 solid cam, 12.75:1 compression, 4500 Dominator converter, 3.46 rears.
    Shooting for 10s eventually.