Thread: A couple noob Q's, please be kind :)

Potential Tuner

A couple noob Q's, please be kind :)

extreme noob alert - having said that, let me get started...

ok, so i recently got a 2001 Z06, it's awesome, i love it, and i just have to begin modding it ;D all i have so far is a halltech intake w/airbridge, and a hurst shifter. now i am wanting to begin tuning the car only problem is i am completely new to this.
    i'm looking forward to learning alot about how the cars VCM can be edited to make power/fuel/econ etc. but i have a couple Q's i'd like to have answered before i get my hands on a copy of HP Tuners, any help would be greatly apreciated so here are the things i am initially wondering....

1) it seems i will need to buy a WB O2 sensor as well as HPT, correct? if so, are there specific cables/wires i need to buy to connect it to the laptop that is running HPT?

2) I've seen a few Q's others have posted about how to install/connect O2 sensors they are having problems with, so to avoid any potential complications, wich brand/model O2 sensor is recommended for HPT?

3) my laptop doesn't have a serial port, only USB and firewire. is there available now, or soon, a version of HPT that supports USB?

4) (this is directed to the other C5 owners out there) what are you using to hold/secure your laptop while you are scanning (driving)? i don't like the idea of my laptop flying all over the place while i'm mashing the gas pedal and taking corners!

thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Tuner

Re: A couple noob Q's, please be kind :)

nice car, almost bought one, but instead started buying h1 hummers.. i rebuild them and sell them on the side, anyways,
    wide band is nice becuase it tells you exactly what your fuel is at.. so you want to hit your 12.9 on your stock combo, 13. at the most, and maybe 26 or so on the timing.. some take 28 but only with really really good gas.. , im not sure about what works the best with tuners, but i like the lm1 it is really nice. Yes you will need to buy the wideband o2, and the controller.

most people are doing just fine with a usb to serial converter, but im not sure which one is the best, chris will tell you on that one...

A partner in the car is the best holder of the computer.. or a towell on the seat, or heck, duct tape the sucker down.. lol
    fast as fast can be..... When i hit the nos, youll be sayin... WAIT4ME!!!!!