Thread: ScreenShots, of a LNF Injector Failure, + a ScreenShot of a 12.39 1/4 pass

ScreenShots, of a LNF Injector Failure, + a File w/ ScreenShot of a 12.39 1/4 pass

2009 HHR SS automatic.
    A few months ago I had a failure of Injector #1.
    It failed, in the 'on/open' position.
    Maybe that's how they all fail, in an 'open' position.

At the time of failure, I was testing out a new 'tune' that was just way to crazy,
    crazy enough that I should've know better, & lucky enough to not have 'blown' the engine.
    I only had a few minutes of run time on the new 'tune', when I floored it from 30mph, causing
    the automatic to downshift into 1st gear. It immediately went to 30psi of boost, & a second later,
    I heard a muffled 'pop' or 'poof' type of sound.
    The 1st ScreenShot is at the time of failure.
    The 2nd ScreenShot is 10 seconds later when coasting down to a stoplight.
    At the stoplight, I was on 3 cylinders, with white smoke out the back.

My dealer said Injector 1 failed, & replaced it.
    When putting things back together, they said the lower charge pipe was bad, & replaced it.
    Don't know if they damaged it, or if it was part of the failure ?
    So, do you think that the muffled 'pop' sound was the 'charge-pipe', & or the Injector,
    failing at the exact same time.
    Because, if you look at ScreenShot #2, did the Injector fail 10 seconds after the muffled 'pop', or
    did it take 10 seconds later, for the fuel trims, & the O2 reading to go super super rich ?

This 3rd ScreenShot, is of my best 1/4 mile ET pass, 2 months after the Injector failure.
    Best ET of 12.39 , best 60' 0f 1.78 seconds , & after shifting into 3rd, boost starts at 25psi &
    holds steady, only dropping off to 22psi at the end of the 1/4 mile.
    So it appears that my engine is running super strong.
    Just trying to figure out if the replacement of the Injector, is causing all the knock, or do
    you think that maybe a crack piston, or ring land is showing it's effect.
    It looks like a lot of 'false' knock to me, but I'm not use to seeing any knock ?
    Also my MPH at the track is off by 2 MPH.
    I did a compression check recently, 1-4, = 140, 160, 150, 160
    I don't have compression readings, before the failure.
    Thanks for looking....

Attached File, is my 'track' file that I used on the 12.39 run...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 2000Firehawk; 07-05-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    2009 HHR SS automatic--- 350 HP - 450' LBS TORQUE,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZgoSN8Gk0
    Mostly stock - K&N air intake, TTech engine mount, 2nd cat 'cored', E47.5 tune, Lighter - wheels/tires/rotors.
    13.0's @ 110MPH, street tires, 12.28 @ 112.67 best on slicks, 1.7s 60' ETs

Pop was most likely your cp coming apart at 30 psi. Injector was probably leaking but the unmetered air (gross leak after the MAF sensor) with a non existent cp while in vacuum or boost would screw up the MAF based fueling.

Images aren't loading here, but I'm at work.
    Last edited by Iam Broke; 07-04-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

images arent working here either.

Can anyone see the images...
    2009 HHR SS automatic--- 350 HP - 450' LBS TORQUE,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZgoSN8Gk0
    Mostly stock - K&N air intake, TTech engine mount, 2nd cat 'cored', E47.5 tune, Lighter - wheels/tires/rotors.

They loaded last night for me at home, not here at work today though.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

now they are working! not sure what it was earlier

Looking at the log file:
    Where the VE Airflow spiked at 68 on the 1st log ScreenShot, is when I heard the muffled 'pop/poof sound.
    It was very short, maybe 1/2 second.
    The entire time at full throttle, was only 3 seconds.
    Looking at the yellow 'boost' line when the VE Airflow spiked at 68, before, during, & after the 'spike', it follows a predictive curve. The ' boost' curve doesn't suggest a charge-pipe failure to me ?
    Maybe I'm wrong.
    After leaving the stoplight, with the cylinder #1 injector failed in the 'open' position, I went into boost a little,
    to see what would happen, & it was fine, & normal.
    No unusual sounds? I did checkout all piping, & everything appeared fine ?
    But I'm sure that with the VE Airflow spiking to 68, means some sort of CP failure.
    If so, way would Injector #1 fail at the same time ?
    Maybe the Injector went full static open, trying to meet the fuel demand of a VE Airflow of 68 ?

Failure starts at 5:38.647 in the log file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 2000Firehawk; 07-07-2013 at 01:10 AM. Reason: added log file

Or, if it was a CP failure at 5:38.647 in the log, as shown on ScreenShot #1,
    Why would the failure only last 1/2 second ?
    And if it was a CP failure, wouldn't I hear noise, like when you lose a muffler, constant noise ?
    Maybe it was a 'seam' tear, in the CP, that is only noticeable at high boost ?
    Still confused...
    Last edited by 2000Firehawk; 07-07-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    Pop was most likely your cp coming apart at 30 psi. Injector was probably leaking but the unmetered air (gross leak after the MAF sensor) with a non existent cp while in vacuum or boost would screw up the MAF based.
    I'm now thinking that there wasn't any 'gross-leak' at all.
    Everything before, & after that VE Airflow 'spike' look totally normal.
    Where is this VE Airflow reading taken from ?
    Or is this an internal ECM reading ?

Maybe the 'pop' was the Injector #1 failure! as Maf & VE Airflow info look ok,
    Before, & after, the 'pop' ?

Found this in the LS section:
    However it is worth noting that you cannot run the car in MAF mode and log the VE Airflow value, with the expectation of seeing how close the VE tune is to the MAF tune. From what I can tell, if you are not in SD mode you cannot see what the SD calcs would have been for a particular condition.
    In a thread some time ago Chris commented that the 'VE Airflow' PID was not a value used in the calculations, but rather some report out variable.

Don't know if the LNF Bosch ECM works this way?

So what inputs are used for the LNF , VE Airflow calculations , while in MAF mode ?
    Something changed, to cause that 'spike', when something went 'pop' ?
    Last edited by 2000Firehawk; 07-07-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Hmmm...
    Rechecking the log I now see that PE was really lean at .93 during the 'pop'....