Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advanced EIO ceck ?

Advanced Tuner

Advanced EIO ceck ?

anyway to check for proper operation ? Having problems with LC1 and wanted to elimate any other components in the system ..thanx

can you elaborate on what problems you are having...lots of us can help you trouble shoot and may even be able to tel you whats wrong...

I'm going to shoot some common things in teh dark at you..LOL

need your system ground of EIO tied to EIO Ground
    need your LC1 wideband output resolution set to 1/12sec
    need to have LC1 PID inserted into proper EIO Slot in Scanner
    need to wah your car with battery acid(Just Kidding)
    but like the rest of us...its that time of year.... and you probably really do need to wash that thing...LOL
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    ok here goes...I had been using the LC1 w HPTuners successfully for about 3 weeks. My setup consists of a custom interface box ( which I think you saw on LS1 Tech), I wired LC1 wiring thru a Dsub connector to the box, the wiring branches off to the EIO, momentary switch, LED, power input, ground etc... I was using a 12 volt accessory plug (cigarett light style) for power and ground off the 12 Volt accy outlet in the car. All my grounds wre goin to 1 point in the box and all were being grounded thru the 12 v accy outlet. All was fine until Monday, got in the car connected everything (LC1,HPTuner) and started driving, was logging for AFR % error, but had the Knock retard display showing, I switched over to AFR histogram and it was showing 7.8- 8.0 AFR...I suspected a bad sensor so I bought another one, did the full cal and AFR now shows 10.3-10.5 at idle, NB mv 850. Now i dont think that's right. I have since change my power input setup to a dedicated 12 switch source and a dedicated chasis ground, however all ground points are still going to 1 lug in the box. Do you think it's ok ?

Advanced Tuner
    oh and my car stays in the garage until March but it still gets washed once every 2 weeks

sounds like a bad ground to me....
    its ok to ground all to 1 spot..I did that for a while...
    but you need the proper gauge wire to carry all that current.

also the Dsub is oly good for about 6 amps....its possible that you melted something..check all the wires there and check to see if all the pins are still looing like they are in there straight...
    I switched froma d-sub to a different connector for that reason
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    i kept hearin about wiring size, but the LC1 harness only has 20 guage wiring in it, so i dont think it's a factor, all my wiring is 14-18 guage, I just tried to do a full cal on my new sensor, again, but got a shorted heater code, this is without the HPTuner cable connected to the box, I connected the cable and all is good, the heater has it's own ground so it shouldnt matter if the HPTuner cable is connected to the interface box as long as the LC1 cable is connected, right ?

Advanced Tuner
    i cal'd my old sensor and got an AFR reading of 36.3 in LogWorks, so I tried the new one and got an AFR reading of 20.9, all in free air...i checked and rechecked all my wiring and the connectors and connections and all is well, hopefully it's fixed, I 'll take it out today and see what happens...thanx for all your help.....maybe next time your in Omaha you can swing by and check everything for me

Advanced Tuner
    well shit...LC1 seems to operate fine in LogWorks, AFR readings seem to be on par, but in HPTuner the AFR reading is 7.6-7.8 fluctuates very little bewteen that

Advanced Tuner
    was reading off Analog #1, swapped to Analog #2 of EIO, AFR still reads 7.6...seems to be an EIO or HPTuner problem.....i dont know what the hell it could be, I sent an email to support hopefully the can help me

Advanced Tuner
    anyone, please ? I'm at my wits end here...........

honestly it sounds liek a grounding issue to me...
    For trial and error....
    take heater hot to battery (+)
    take heater ground to battery (-)
    take system ground to EIO Ground
    take analog 2 to EIO Input
    set up Calibration wire with calibration button conected to system ground
    connect nothing else

try it this way....
    eliminating your box to find out if its an issue with EIO or LC1 or grounds
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    if the box was the problem it would show up in LogWorks too, support told me to log for raw voltage but i dont know how to do that exactly

volt meter
    radio shack has them for like $11 for a cheapy that will do the job good enough
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    i have a digital mutlimeter... i think they're talkin about loggin for voltage in Scanner....he told me I could also use a 1.5v battery to check for proper reading in Scanner

Advanced Tuner
    to use the battery I would connect battery + to EIO input and battery - to EIO ground right ? sounds like a functional check which was what i was lookin for

yup...
    measure batter voltage with volt meter....
    measuer battery voltage with EIO(need to set up custom input config...should be pretty easy)

compare...needs to be the same.
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    ok, logged raw voltage using a AA battery and got 1.611 in Scanner and showing 1.609 on my DVOM.....so the EIO is good.....now I'm really confused...by the way i really appreciate you takin the time to help with this, that bein said, do you have any more ideas ?

can you check the wideband as well??
    direct monitor with sensor ..
    set to output 1/3rd second
    check output with voltmeter...then conect to EIO and do raw voltage check on it...
    make sure voltage is close on it as well...
    you can just do a free air voltage check...no big deal...
    again..wires straight....no box in the middle..

also...make sure you are using BROWN wire for wideband
    Yellow is narrowband
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    i just did a RAW Voltage check with HPTuner and was gettin .112, key/power on eng off...i should be gettin almost the full 5 volts right ? indicating a lean conditon ? yes i'm using the brown wire.....well shit,now you got me second guessin myself, i'll go verify

Advanced Tuner
    yes i am using the brown wire