Thread: Buying an ECM on ebay, what VIN to give them?

Tuner in Training

Buying an ECM on ebay, what VIN to give them?

I need an 0411 ECM for my 5.3 swap and the company will put any vin in that I want, but I don't know what to give them. If I could use the vin off my 68 c10 it's going into, that would be cool but it doesn't really matter, since there is no emission testing where I am and they don't care what vin the computer shows. All I need is a vin that will work for sure with my setup (5.3/4l60e in a 68 c10). I already screwed up and bought an ecm without finding what it was out of and now I have a v6 astro van 0411 ecm that does me no good. So basically, what do I need to tell this guy?

Thanks in advance!

Advanced Tuner
    You need to figure out the VIN that the motor, trans and harness came from. Everything needs to match and be compatible.

Tuner
    Go to a junkyard and look around for a vehicle with a 5.3 in it and copy the VIN #.
    1997 Black Curse SEi, 4th Engine, 2nd trans.
    2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4.3L
    2002 Chevrolet S-10 LS 5.7L

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1995 View Post
    Go to a junkyard and look around for a vehicle with a 5.3 in it and copy the VIN #.
    There's thousands of 5.3 VIN's floating around the internet. Why make it difficult? The VIN is on the engine block!

Tell them to leave the original VIN untouched, this way you won't have any problems
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the input!

Advanced Tuner
    who you getting it from? spareecm? if so just tell them you need it with a 5.3 and 4l60e. they will pick the one for you. Also you need to know if you want a truck or car file for a/c and 4 wheel settings. the 411 you have know can be used. you just need to get a file and do a write entire.
    My setup is a 356ci with a 260/268 (212/218 at .050 lift) duration cam with aluminium corvette heads and flat top pistons running 11.3 comp. ratio. with tuned port injection and vortec crank pick up and dizzy running a 411 pcm and 60lb bosch injectors, 1.6 ratio roller rockers. For transmission its a 4l65e built with the monster in a box mega ss kit. All in a 92 chevy ext cab 4x4 pickup with a 98 cab now installed with a third door! running only e85