Thread: Tuning for a 2 step

Advanced Tuner

Tuning for a 2 step

I have begun my switch from blower to twins and I plan to install a 2 step for track runs. My understanding of the 2 step may be off, but it appears to input the spark into the controller and limit the output spark to whatever you have it set for. Am I understanding the function correctly?
    Also, what's the general procedure for the tune? Increase spark? Decrease? Leave it alone?
    I am guessing the data while on the 2 step will be useless.
    Anything I'm missing?

Tuner in Training
    The 2 step limits your starting line rpm while activated (via a pushbutton usually). I do not adjust the tune for the 2 step. The data will verify your 2 step is working but the air/fuel ratio data while on the 2 step will not be useable

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Enginerd_Rob View Post
    The 2 step limits your starting line rpm while activated (via a pushbutton usually). I do not adjust the tune for the 2 step. The data will verify your 2 step is working but the air/fuel ratio data while on the 2 step will not be useable
    Ack. No real changes needed in the tune.

I am guessing you are using the MSD? I personally wouldn't mess with the WOT box. I have seen in person it cause false limiters when not activated.

I have run the MSD for years with great success.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    it cuts your ignition at the RPM point to set it to
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks guys! It is a MSD.
    Last edited by txcharlie; 04-11-2017 at 10:20 AM.

You'll want to change your misfire detection to a range above the 2 step rpm.

you will get a lot of false knock retard and fuel trim changes while on the 2-step. The trims will read false lean and try to richen it up. I personally don't like the idea of coming off the 2-step super rich.

So I zero out the PI Controller in the range that I'm on the 2-step (open loop so there are no fuel corrections) and I zero spark retard in the RPM range that I'd be on the 2-step.

This may seem dangerous to some, but I've never had any issues and actually feel more comfortable with these changes.

Advanced Tuner
    Good input fellas!!

Any screenshot of PI controller value ?