Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing the LC-1

I've been in open loop since march of 05....
    and when I have checked it with a wideband...its been within 1-2% of dead on still
    all temperatures....all climates...
    -Scott -

Quote Originally Posted by speedyss
    Is anyone running 2 wideband 02 sensors, (one for each bank) or is everyone just using one for one bank? Also would it be better to get the LM-1 or the LC-1? The only advantages i can see are being able to double check yourself with the 2 readings, (the LM-1 unit itself and the hpt scanner) making sure everything is the same before tuning.
    with LM1 you have less chance of ground offsets as teh analog outputs are nicely isolated...
    but LC1 saves you money...

both are teh same o2 sensor and both are identical in what they can do in the wideband readings
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Is there anything wrong with permanently mounting your LM-1 and not running a power source to it while tuning? I'd like to just run the cable in my car and only power it when I need to tune.
    2005 C6-402ci
    515whp/465wtq

well...the sensor needs to have power anytime exhaust gasses are hiting it....
    no problems permanently mounting it as long as you get power to it when your car is running...
    so no you cant just power it when you need to tune...
    thats why they suggest a 12v switched power....switched by ignition....sensor must have power while exhaust is hitting it or you will ruin the sensor...within a half hour sometimes(I know cause I had one that got ruined by a buddys car...was powering it thru the o2 sensor connector...and his car kept blowing fuses for no aparrent reason...had to drive a half hour to get to a store cause we were out in the countryside where he lives doing the tuning... =dead sensor )
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    So basiclly when you run in open loop 24/7 and leave you wide band in, then your lm-1 is on but doing nothing but being on when you are not tuning, is that right? What do you do with the old NB02 wires that go to the ecm, when your running WB02's in open loop, Are they just zip tied out of the way?

threaded bolts in the bungs when I'm not logging
    -Scott -

either that or i toss and old o2 that is dead in there with the wires cut off lol
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Sorry to butt in on this post but, I've been wondering. Do I have to purchase the EIO upgrade if I wanted to run/data-log an LC-1 if all I have is the standard IO version now?
    TIA
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

Advanced Tuner
    ^^^ Correct, you need the EIO version in order to have the wideband feed into the HPT scanner.

You can use the scanworks software that came w/the LC1, but then it's hard to correlate AFR to load cell... and you can't use the wideband VE tuning feature that's built into the scanner
    Mike Horist
    00 WS6 (TA) | 04 WS6 (GTP Comp G)
    Mike \\#at&\\ horist \\&dot$\\com

BOTH cars HP Tuners Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by horist
    ^^^ Correct, you need the EIO version in order to have the wideband feed into the HPT scanner.

You can use the scanworks software that came w/the LC1, but then it's hard to correlate AFR to load cell... and you can't use the wideband VE tuning feature that's built into the scanner
    Thank you so much for answering my question, I appreciate the help!
    99 T/A WS6, original LS1 turbo

Tuner in Training
    Soundengineer, the nice diagram you developed and referred to above shows the heater ground to the chasis. Yet, three lines later you state ALL grounds should go to the data logger ground-no where else. So, should the diagram have the heater gound going to the EIO instead of the chasis?

Since all these posts earlier in the year has a consensus been developed for the correct way to ground if you are using only HPTuners to scan and no gauge?

Thanks

Mike
    Last edited by michaelmmoore; 11-17-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmmoore
    Soundengineer, the nice diagram you developed and refered to above shows the heater ground to the chasis. Yet, three lines later you state ALL grounds should go to the data logger ground-no where else. So, should the diagram have the heater gound going to the EIO instead of the chasis?
    who knows? my vote is for both

DO NOT PUT THE HEATER GROUND TO EIO, all OTHER grounds go to EIO, I just put them to the chassis and then ran a ground wire from there to EIO.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmmoore
    Soundengineer, the nice diagram you developed and referred to above shows the heater ground to the chasis. Yet, three lines later you state ALL grounds should go to the data logger ground-no where else. So, should the diagram have the heater gound going to the EIO instead of the chasis?

Since all these posts earlier in the year has a consensus been developed for the correct way to ground if you are using only HPTuners to scan and no gauge?

Thanks

Mike

If you read the entire post(and possibly several other posts) you will see that it has already been discussed...basically the Heater Ground carries too much voltage/amperage and will fry the circuit board traces..
    Ideally all the grounds would go to the EIO..but for the just above mentioned reason...they cant..

Most Widebands have some sort of a calibration wire/ground reference...as long as that wire is tied to the same spot as the ground for the analog signal everthing should be fine

all grouds EXCEPT for the Heater Ground go to the EIO...

My diagram is correct....
    Last edited by S2H; 11-17-2006 at 05:18 PM.
    -Scott -

Tuner in Training
    Thank you