Thread: LY6 B1S1 Going Lean - Some Diagnostics & Log Attached

Tuner in Training

LY6 B1S1 Going Lean - Some Diagnostics & Log Attached

Hi Everyone - Long time troller; first time poster. Please let me know if there's additional info that would help; I'm very new to tuning...

Background:
    -'07 LY6 mated to 5-spd running OE E38 (wiring done by myself) w/ '87 C10 tank, Delco pump & vette FPR
    -turned off VATS & B_S2 o2s & EVAP & extra crap (THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD POSTS ON THIS!!)
    -starts up & runs consistently (though rough; see below)

Problem:
    -first started engine in bare chassis in April 2014 and both B1S1 & B1S2 were bouncing fine (log file attached)
    -got it wired into the truck last week and now B1S1 starts @ 450mV (with B2S1) but slowly drops to 0mV (log file attached)

Diagnostics Done:
    1. suspected bad B1 o2 sensor; swapped o2s and the problem stayed with B1 (o2 sensors both work)
    2. suspected i swapped B1 & B2 as others have done; swapped harnesses side-to-side and banks did opposite rich/lean (so harnesses was correct)
    3. Looked for vac leaks & found none (wouldn't a vac leak affect both banks, unless right on cylinder-manifold gasket?)

It'll run in open loop (forced) and B1/B2 injector pulses are both around 3.5-4.0 ms (as in log files), but when it warms up and I let it go into closed loop, it tries to compensate for the lean condition with B1 going up to 6.5-7.0ms. I've gotten hit/miss DTC for lean on B1.

I'm hoping there's something obvious that the more experienced tuners can point out; at this point i'm about to start tearing into the rail on B1 to check for injector debris.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by lost honda pro; 08-12-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    '78 C10 - LY6/T56
    '03 Suburban - L59/4L60 soon to be on tons

Tuner in Training
    I've been changing various things and have finally made some progress:

1. Pulled plugs (they were the original 41-985). All were worn, some were black. Replaced with new OE 41-110.

2. Checked all wires with timing light. All coils are firing and and wires seems to be carrying current. No misfire DTCs.

3. More searching for VAC leak... The PCV valve/stamped fitting in the driver's valve cover goes straight to the top of the manifold - is this correct? The engine is always pulling the crankcase to intake pressures? How many of you have simply put a filter on the valve cover and capped the intake manifold port? Also, is there a small nipple on the truck manifolds for the HVAC controls? I can't find it though i've seen it referenced on many other LS manifolds...

4. Confirmed all injector wiring is correct.

5. Here's where it gets strange... I was sitting on the couch looking at the tune, trying to see if there's anything obvious I might have accidentally done. I don't know what I'm doing so nothing jumps out. I save a new copy of the tune (as I turned some additional DTCs on) and write the calibration last night. The problem *seems* to have gone away . I didn't change anything in the tune of substance, so my only guess is that the battery voltage/laptop voltage was low when I wrote the previous tune. Has anyone ever experienced a write problem like this? Does battery voltage matter THAT much?

I'm going to confirm it's running better tonight when I get to the shop. Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

Tim
    '78 C10 - LY6/T56
    '03 Suburban - L59/4L60 soon to be on tons