Thread: Problems after 4L60E swap

Tuner

Problems after 4L60E swap

I recently swapped to a 4L60E into my 98 Firebird and under WOT, there is a tiny hesitation on the 1-2 shift and a really bad hesitation from 2-3. I thought it was just in the tune so I didnt worry about it. I went and got it dyno tuned by Texas Speed and it still has the same problem. They couldn't figure out why it was doing that.

I have found a lot more people than I realized with the same problem and one said he could tune the 2-3 shift and make it shift as hard as he wanted w/o hesistation on the old version of the software. Now he has version 2.0, and hes got the hesitation from 2-3 and can't do anything to fix it. How can I get this to quit. It's gonna kill the 1/4 ET's. Thanks
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    [email protected], 1.65 60'
    7.91@85 1/8th
    Abbott Racing Heads and Engines

I dont know how to make it quit without seeing the file...please post your file...
    also...just because you had a dyno tune...doesnt mean you got tuned....
    all they do is add a litttle spark for idle...and push around the PE values to get WOT fueling correct...and its usually far from correct as I have hd to redo a bunch of tunes that were first done by TSP....

I'mn really getting tired of dyno shops claining its a full tune when its just WOT
    -Scott -

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    I dont know how to make it quit without seeing the file...please post your file...
    also...just because you had a dyno tune...doesnt mean you got tuned....
    all they do is add a litttle spark for idle...and push around the PE values to get WOT fueling correct...and its usually far from correct as I have hd to redo a bunch of tunes that were first done by TSP....

I'mn really getting tired of dyno shops claining its a full tune when its just WOT
    I understand that the dyno tune doesnt cover part throttle driving, but after we finished up the WOT tune, i'd go drive the car, tell him what it was doing, and he'd make a change, but he was never able to change the problem any. I'll try to get my bin file and post it up.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    7.91@85 1/8th

in 98's the MAF is highly responsible for line pressures and t might need to be recalibrated to get your desired results....
    putting on performance parts can really screw things up and it will act funny sometimes without the proper tuning

one way to find out if its the MAF table is to just unplug the dam thing...
    car might stumble teh first time you start it after you unplug it...but it will recover on the second start usually...
    and it will shift hard...but it will tell you if your problem is MAF related or something else
    -Scott -

Tuner
    I unplugged the MAF today to see if that was the problem. It did shift better, but the car was running crappy so I dont know if that would help cover up the problem. I re-plugged the MAF and it hauled ass again, but the shifts were messed up again.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    7.91@85 1/8th

that to me says that you need to recalibrate the MAF first....
    you need to tune the VE before you can tune the MAF....which means unpluging it again...

and like I always say.if you can post a file...so we can look at it...we might be able to make sugestions
    -Scott -

Tuner
    Thanks very much for your help!! I'll see what I can do about possibly getting my own software and a laptop so I can start tuning myself. Thanks again!!
    1998 Pontiac Firebird
    NA 3.8L V-6
    7.91@85 1/8th