Thread: Scanning, copying, tune and credits

Scanning, copying, tune and credits

First, I'm looking at tuning three vehicles.
    1. A 2012 F-150 5.0 that has a custom dyno tune with upgraded injectors, MAF housing, headers etc for a supercharger.
    2. A 1998 F-150 that had a 4.6 but I'm swapping in a 03' 5.4.
    3. A 1972 Mercury Comet with an engine/trans out of a 2012 F-150 with mustang intake cams/headers etc.

Credits: From the way I understand the credit system, if I buy the basic tuning package I will get 8 credits and use 6 credits tuning these three vehicles. Is this correct?

Scanning/copying:
    1. For the 98' F-150 engine swap, can I scan a 2001 5.4 f-150 ecu and compare it to the 98' 4.6 ecu and copy over the fueling, timing etc. differences to start my base tune then modify it from there?
    2. For my 2012 F-150, it has the custom dyno tune and I love the WOT characteristics but daily driving it buggs the hell out of me. Can I scan the ECU and so I can keep tweaks made from the dyno tune and be able to adjust the transmission, cam timing etc, at part throttle by basically modifying the custom tune I already have? The dyno tune was done on an SCT device if it makes a difference.
    3. The Comet swap I want to be able to do the same thing with the ECU and scan a 12' mustang and compare the two to have a better base tune. I'm also waiting on the PATS system to be able to be disabled through tuning but that will come later as I have a long way to go before it's completed.

Thanks for you're help.

Am I in the wrong area to ask these questions?

I sent an email off two days ago and still not response, why doesn't anyone seem to be able to answer my questions?

Credits = Yes..........6 credits to tune three vehicles (one read/one write)

#1 - it will read both ecm's but the values/parameters may look different.
    #2 - as long as the tuner didn't lock the ecm. Be sure to save the original read and rename the file when you mod it.
    #3 - sounds good!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    #2 is not a supported pcm so you will not currently be able to tune it with our hardware/software package, though in the future we're looking into them.
    3. pats system currently cannot be disabled via the software in those pcms, there is something that needs to be implimented via the scanner in order for it to truely be shut off, no eta.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Speedforhire View Post
    Credits = Yes..........6 credits to tune three vehicles (one read/one write)

#1 - it will read both ecm's but the values/parameters may look different.
    #2 - as long as the tuner didn't lock the ecm. Be sure to save the original read and rename the file when you mod it.
    #3 - sounds good!
    So you use one credit to read a vehicle and one to tune?

How can you tell if the ecu is locked, and how do they do that? I would think Ford would lock them from the factory if it was lockable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    #2 is not a supported pcm so you will not currently be able to tune it with our hardware/software package, though in the future we're looking into them.
    3. pats system currently cannot be disabled via the software in those pcms, there is something that needs to be implimented via the scanner in order for it to truely be shut off, no eta.
    Bummer, I didn't know that generation wasn't supported.

I knew it wasn't currently supported, but hope it is soon.

Potential Tuner
    I have a question about credits as well, in my customer page it shows i have credits for GM vehicles. If I want to tune a dodge now that I have 2.25 Beta would I need to purchase more credits or are they interchangeable? I am trying to venture out and tune more than just GM now. Any answer is appreciated. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    So you use one credit to read a vehicle and one to tune?
    No, 0 credits to read a vehicle and 2 credits to edit/flash a vehicle. Once the ECU/vehicle is licensed, you can flash and edit unlimited times.

Quote Originally Posted by EVO2BALT View Post
    I have a question about credits as well, in my customer page it shows i have credits for GM vehicles. If I want to tune a dodge now that I have 2.25 Beta would I need to purchase more credits or are they interchangeable? I am trying to venture out and tune more than just GM now. Any answer is appreciated. Thanks
    Credits are not interchangeable. you'll have to buy Dodge credits to license Dodge.
    Jaime

Potential Tuner
    Thank you ElecTech

Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    No, 0 credits to read a vehicle and 2 credits to edit/flash a vehicle. Once the ECU/vehicle is licensed, you can flash and edit unlimited times.
    That makes much more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    Credits are not interchangeable. you'll have to buy Dodge credits to license Dodge.
    So, when I buy a new unit, I have to specify which manufacturer I want credits for?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    So, when I buy a new unit, I have to specify which manufacturer I want credits for?
    For the initial interface purchase, yes. After that, you can add whatever credits you like base on your need.

Example: I purchased MPVI Pro with 8 GM credits. Now I want to tune two Dodges so I purchase 4 Dodge credits and add them to my interface.