Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VE tuning with HPT Wideband and Narrowband how to

Advanced Tuner

Arrow VE tuning with HPT Wideband and Narrowband how to

Guys feel free to read and discuss. I will make changes as we see necessary through our discussions.

Tuning the VE table in HPtuners. Wideband and Narrowband methods.

The LTFT values are your indicator of how much error is in your Volumetric Efficiency table. If Block Learn is at 0% everything is just right. If your STFT is more than 3 % away from 0 , the LTFT value is still "learning". A motor is considered well tuned to have LTFT values between +- 4%. Not every motor can achieve this though.
    Step by Step for SD tuning Wideband Method:

1: Unplug MAF (Replace with strait bellows if you do not have intentions of ever using a MAF again ie. always speed density.)
    2: Disable the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103 (No check engine light.) Do not completely disable the codes or the PCM will not fall into SD mode. Only turn off the SES light, DO NOT DISABLE THE CODES THEMSELVES!
    3: Mod edit, this step is icorrect. Make sure the OLFA table commands 1.00 in operating coolant temperature ranges.
    4: Change all points in the Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs IAT table to 250* (Disables closed loop)
    5: Copy High Octane table to the Low Octane Table (computer reverts to low octane table when MAF is unplugged, this assure optimal timing)
    6: Mod edit, this step is incorrect. Leave the PE as desired
    7: Logging can be done setting up the scanner and custom histogram with HPT 2.0, you want to hit as many cells as possible with the highest count as possible. Setting the filter for 25 cell counts will help ensure accurate data.
    8: Change all points in the Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs IAT table back to stock (re-enables closed loop operation and fuel trim leaning)

Step by Step for SD tuning Narrowband (stock) o2' Method:
    1st a couple of things to keep in mind:
    a: This method will not be as accurate as the one above, but it should get you real close for part throttle.
    b: Please keep in mind that depending on where you have your PE enable settings, you will probably only get "0" LTFT values in your histogram after 4,000 RPM.
    c: For WOT you will still need a WBo2.
    d: There will always be a 2-4% change in learning from day to day. Weather, fuel, and engine dynamics vary quite a bit. It’s the VCM's job to learn these corrections. It is recomened that all tuning sessions be done in like weather conditions.
    e: There are two methods of using the LTFT's to correct the VE table, below is a description of the two taken from the HPTuners help file. I will try to elaborate a little more on them.
    1: Unplug MAF (Replace with strait bellows if you do not have intentions of ever using a MAF again ie. always speed density.)
    2: Disable the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103 (No check engine light.) Do not completely disable the codes or the PCM will not fall into SD mode. Only turn off the SES light, DO NOT DISABLE THE CODES THEMSELVES!
    3: Copy High Octane table to the Low Octane Table (computer reverts to low octane table when MAF is unplugged, this assure optimal timing)
    4:Write your file to the VCM and go for a drive approx 20-30 minutes, and try and hit has many cells as possible. Use the "default" config file and scan your LTFT's and STFT's into the histogram.
    5:After you have logged sufficient data, it is now time to look at what changes you need to make. This will require looking at both the LTFT and STFT data on a cell by cell basis.
    a: If the majority of your LTFT cells, are greater than a 10% swing (+- 10), then refer to method 1.
    b: If the majority of your LTFT cells, fall between +-10% then refer to method 2.

Method 1 using the LTFT and STFT corrections from the scanner histogram data.

The VE table corrections can be derived by the following formula:

(+-LTFT%) + (+-STFT%) = Final % Learned

If your LTFT histogram value @1600 RPM, 30 Kpa Map is +7 and the associated STFT value is -2 your total % fuel correction is +5. Use about ½ the correction (2.5%) on the VE table cell @1600 RPM 30 Kpa Map to avoid overshoot.

Repeat this process for any LTFT histogram value until you see a +- 4% range. After you reflash your VCM with the new VE table, use the VCM Controls function to reset the fuel trims before you start recording new data. This will give you a “clean slate” to work with.

It will take you the better part of an afternoon to log the LTFT, make the corrections to the VE table, then verify the results on the histogram again.

Method 2 using the STFT corrections only from the scanner histogram data.
    This will require you to disable the LTFT process.
    Use of this method requires your VE table to be no more than 10% off. If your VE table is beyond this, start with the above method first.

Depending on your model you can either turn the LTFT enable option to “Off” (Edit>Engine>Fuel Control>Open &Closed Loop>Long Term Fuel Trim Enable = OFF) or set the LTFT minimum Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) to its maximum value. Using the scanner reset your Fuel Trims. Go for a drive and record the STFT's.

The above step of disabling the LTFT learning process will let the VCM run the STFT correction, but no make any LTFT corrections.
    The advantage to this is you only have to use the STFT table on the histogram to get your fuel % correction values. You no longer have to do the (+-LTFT %) + (+-STFT %) math or keep track of the LTFT cell number in use.
    The number derived in the histogram can now be used as a 1:1 ratio in the VE table. So, if you are showing -7 in your histogram, you could subtract 7 from the corresponding VE cell, the net result should be a value closer to 0 during your next logging session.

This will take you about ½ the time to log the STFT, make the corrections to the VE table, then verify the results on the histogram again.
    Once you have a achieved a histogram of near 0 values, you can go back into the editor and re-enable your trims.

WS6Snake-eater

Matt

Re: VE tuning with HPT Wideband and Narrowband how

Matt,
    I can't thank you enough for taking the time to compile this. This deserves to be sticky'd.

-Mike
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

Advanced Tuner

I wholeheartedly agree. Please pass this on to KEith or chris, and let's get this in the help file of next release please.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Advanced Tuner

I know this may have been answered already but I have to ask.

With SD tuning Wideband Method…

...why 13 to 1 AFR??? What about 13.5 or leave just it at 14.62? I understand with the PE disabled 14.62 is clearly unsafe but you could reduce timing (substantially) and/or add Octane booster (Torco?) to stave off detonation and then tune for 14.62 (I think that is the right number). Then complete the rest of the operation as you have detailed and have a leaner (factory) mix during part throttle (non-WOT/PE) where cylinder pressures are lower.

ALSO, one other question with your SD tuning Wideband Method do you log (and edit) cells over 4000rpm??? I would think so????

Just asking?
    2007 CTS-V LS2

Advanced Tuner

Ok the reasoning for the 13.0 is because it is a safe afr to opperate at all RPMs with. With that being said yes you will be logging points as high up as you can rev. The thing to keep in mind is that the 13.0 is only temporary, when you get to step 10 and above (changing the tables back to stock) the computer will be commanding stoich. 13.0 is only temporary while dialing in the VE table, because it is a good safe value. Also timing does effect fueling to some extent (ie...not enough timing will result in richer exhaust gases) and therefore it would not be advisable to mess with timing as it could throw off you results.

Thanks for your question I updated the procedure to help explain the reasoning for step #3

Matt

Tuner

Hey Matt,

I am at step 9 using the wideband. Am I suppose to change the octane tables back to the way they were or before I started or leave them with the high octane in the low octane table? Thanks,

JK

Oh, and this was a HUGE help. Also, I have an excel fil I made that takes your hand jammed AFR histogram numbers, your original VE table and creates a new VE table based on Matt's calculations. I even included a 4th sheet that allows you to view the total changes from the original to the new VE table just in case you fat fingered a number wrong. Email me if you want it.
    2008 Machine Silver Corvette Vert MN6

Advanced Tuner

As far as the timing goes...it really depends on if you are going to stay mafless or not. If you do intend on staying mafless then, no you will not change it back. When in mafless/sd mode the computer falls back on the low octane table as it primary refernce for spark. However if you do intend on adding the MAF back, then it is really just a personal preference. Some people like to leave them the same to assure optimal timing during all conditions. Other like to add in a safety factor by reducing the low octane table by a few degrees. Usually 4 seems to be the norm. If it were my car and I were putting the MAF back on I would go ahead and reduce the low octane table by a blanket of -4. However I don't think that I'll ever plug it back in until it's time for emissions testing, which upon completion I'll just take it back out.

BTW I would like to take a look at your exel file. Send it my way when you get the chance.

[email protected]

Matt

Advanced Tuner

will we fail emissions with MAF unplugged? Is it safe to run with MAF unplugged full time? I see no need to plug it back in, car is running FINE without it.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Advanced Tuner

Yes you will not pass the readiness test with the MAF unplugged. I am trying to figure out a work around for it. I let you guys know when I do.

00000a3503

Another new person with this software... I have been learning a lot in the last few days. Thanks for the info. A couple questions I do have is when you are logging the info in the histogram chart, do you use average or last value (when tuning the VE using ltft and stft values)? I would assume average, but assumptions can be bad... And the other is how do I figure out my a/f ratio? Since I'm using narrowband, when I go under the a/f histogram is it showing the mv values of the O2 sensors? Which then I'm shooting for 800-880? Thanks.

Advanced Tuner

QS: I think your looking for 890mv, but I don't know how to change this yet. Was about to post that pretty soon. Anyone else feel free to chime in.
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Tuner

Thanks for compiling and posting this information!

Regarding the stock O2 method:

Once the VE table is shaped with the MAF unplugged, do you plug the MAF back in (assuming you want to retain it) and then recheck the LTFTs. If they are not close then modify the:

MAF table?

Fuel table?

What is the rationale?

Thanks!!!

2007 VR z06...stock right now

Advanced Tuner

OK, cool I understand now. I am just buttoning-up my head/cam install so I will give this tuning method a shot....

ONE more question ;D ;D ;D

Do you have any sugestions for tuning idle with this cam in a Corvette (M6),

228/232 .588/.574 LSA 115

I have no problem with bumping the idle up to 925ish rpm as a start...

Quote Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
    Ok the reasoning for the 13.0 is because it is a safe afr to opperate at all RPMs with. With that being said yes you will be logging points as high up as you can rev. The thing to keep in mind is that the 13.0 is only temporary, when you get to step 10 and above (changing the tables back to stock) the computer will be commanding stoich. 13.0 is only temporary while dialing in the VE table, because it is a good safe value. Also timing does effect fueling to some extent (ie...not enough timing will result in richer exhaust gases) and therefore it would not be advisable to mess with timing as it could throw off you results.

Thanks for your question I updated the procedure to help explain the reasoning for step #3

Matt
    2007 CTS-V LS2

Tuner in Training

I have never seen a definitive answer on this.... can this sort of tuning be done on an a4 car with the maf unplugged?

Quote Originally Posted by xssive
    I have never seen a definitive answer on this.... can this sort of tuning be done on an a4 car with the maf unplugged?
    Yes

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.33 @ 119.84 mph OLSD Tune

Tuning done by www.GearsAreUs.com

Advanced Tuner

By using the SD tuning Wideband Method, do I have to turn off or reset my LTFTs between logs? Or, is this taken care of by locking yourself into Open Loop???

Thanks,

2007 CTS-V LS2

Open loop takes car of that because neither the strims or the ltrims learn

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    Open loop takes car of that because neither the strims or the ltrims learn
    Cool, thanks!!! I still see values in my LTFT Histogram tab, is that ok???

2007 CTS-V LS2

Tuner

2 Questions
    1> Will this approach work with a supercharged truck. I assume yes since under part throttle/non boosted MAF calculations are same.
    2> LTFT's are much different on the on the 2 banks of my engine based upon logs I have done. The histogram combines these values apparently and expresses the percent in one value. By tuning via this method do I risk running one bank lean yet still look good via the histogram? Do I need to figure out the unbalanced fueling first?

Completely new to this. TIA for any input.

03 Silverado Z71, 6.0L (LQ4), Magnacharger Radix, 90mm TB, 9psi boost, 60# Mototron FM Injectors, Meth Injection, LPE GT7 Cam, PI Vigilante 2600, FLT Level 5 4l65E, Dynatech, Custom Stainless Dual Exhaust, Detroit True-Trac, 4.10's, Electric Fans, AirAid CAI. HSW Dry Nitrous with 50 shot. 11.73 @ 114 - 2Bar SD - @@@Photos and Video@@@

Tuner in Training

I started to tune my truck by the dirrections written in this section of the forum I left the ltft's on and copied the high octane table to the low and followed all dirrections and tuned till my #'s were with in 10% then I figured I would move on to the next method and shut off the ltft's and just tune with the stft's when I got some data after driving around I now have numbers ranging anywhere from 0 up to -18 but mostly from around -11 to -18.
    Should I continue this tune and do as it says to use these #'s in a 1:1 ratio in the VE table or could I have done something wrong? I have been reseting fuel trims as it says to. I have not turned off the ses light because I figure it doesn't matter to me I know why it's on. one last question is this a good way to tune then plug the MAF back in? or is this only for MAF less tuning?