Thread: How to access OBD data from the datafile

Potential Tuner

How to access OBD data from the datafile

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and hope to find an answer to my problem using TrackAddict together with DashWare.

I've been using the full version of TrackAddict and I have recently also bought a WiFi ELM 327 for OBD2 data logging.
    So far I've only used the standard data generated by TrackAddict and created nice videos with an overlay dashboard using DashWare. As I'm getting more advanced I'd like to use OBD data like RPM, Throttle position, Mass Air Flow Rate, etc.
    Unfortunately I cannot use the additionally generated OBD data even it's included in the TrackAddict datafile (csv format).
    All OBD data is marked with a "*OBD" in the headerline of the data file.
    This is how my headerline looks like:
    Time,"Lap","GPS_Update","GPS_Delay","Accuracy (m)","Latitude","Longitude","Altitude (m)","Speed (KM/H)",
    "Heading","X","Y","Z","OBD_Update","Vehicle Speed (km/h) *OBD","Throttle Position (%) *OBD","Mass Air Flow Rate (g/s) *OBD","Absolute Engine Load (%) OBD","Intake Air Temp (C) OBD","Catalyst Temp - Bank 1 S1 (C)","Engine Coolant Temp (C)","Engine Speed (RPM)","Ambient Air Temp (C)"

Any idea what is going wrong?

Thanks

Being that you can see that the data exists in your CSV file, it looks like everything is good from TrackAddict's end. The issue would most likely be that there's no mapping for those additional data columns in the DashWare profile you are using to import it, and/or your gauges are not set to use those data columns for input. If you can find a DashWare support forum or group that's still active, they may be able to provide you with more guidance on using that product, but as far as I know there haven't been any official product updates or support for about a year now.

I would recommend trying RaceRender, which is a product that we actively develop ourselves, and is designed to integrate with TrackAddict nicely (along with many other data and video sources).

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for quick reply!
    Actually it wasn't a mapping issue in the DashWare profile but rather a problem in one of the latest TrackAddict versions.

Obviously TrackAddict remembered how I configured my data channels before because the header in the .csv includes exactly all data columns according to my data channel configuration. But compared to the last track day the OBD data is simply missing in the .csv file which is pretty annoying.
    In the data file from the previous track day all the OBD data is available in the .csv and everything works fine in DashWare and I can visualize the OBD data.

One more question:
    I will soon get a new iPhone 6. Do I need to purchase again TrackAddict or is there a way to continue to use my full version of my current iPhone 5?

Does the TrackAddict data file contain the column headers, but the data rows are just blank or zeros? If so, that would typically indicate that you had the OBD option enabled in TrackAddict, but there was some problem with your OBD interface device (or its connection to your phone or vehicle) during that recording. That's indicated in the app by the "OBD" icon being red or yellow (and it would usually be flashing as well), instead of solid green. Another less common possibility is that if you configured the OBD channels in TrackAddict for one vehicle and then went to use it on another vehicle, that other vehicle might not support the same set of channels, so you would just need to go into the channel selection screen and make selections that are available on that vehicle.

The only thing that changed in recent app updates, relating to recorded data in the CSV file, is that the G-force accelerometer data columns are now named "Accel X", "Accel Y", "Accel Z" instead of the previous and somewhat-ambiguous "X", "Y", "Z". We didn't make and changes to OBD or GPS data recording.

As for upgrading your iPhone, as long as you use the same Apple account on both devices, then your existing TrackAddict purchase will apply to both devices at no additional charge. The thing to remember is that when activating Pro on any additional devices, you'll just need to use the same upgrade path as your original purchase: If you simply bought the paid "Pro" app directly on the App Store, then it should give you the option to download that for free on the other device. If you started with the base or "Free" app and then used an in-app purchase to upgrade to Pro, then you'll need to install the standard free app on your other device and then use the "Restore Purchases" button on its Upgrade screen to activate Pro on it.