Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tablet....

Advanced Tuner

Tablet....

So I was curious who is doing some tuning with tablets thus far and what brands and models you guys are having good luck with? I can get a Dell Venue pro 8" for a really good price and was just wondering if anyone has had success using a Dell Venue with Hptuners? A tablet wouldn't be my go to for tuning all the time or anything, still would use my laptop but would be nice in some situations just to grab a nice lightweight smaller option to go do some tuning.

Let's here what some of you guys are using out there!
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Advanced Tuner
    I use an Asus T100 device - it's a 10.1" tablet with a keyboard dock. I consider it the perfect tuning device - super light and portable, excellent battery life and a real keyboard to boot. Plus you can find them for under $200 new. While attached to the keyboard dock (which is where the full-sized USB port is), it can also "hold" the tablet upright for you while sitting on the passenger seat - makes it really nice and easy to view the scanned data and to put "marks" into the log file for areas that you want to review later.

I used to use a full-sized laptop and it was such a PIA. I LOVE using this Asus T100 for logging/tuning.

Advanced Tuner
    Nice, I'll check one of those out.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

I just tuned a C7 and the owner used a Surface Pro 4 with HPT on it (and a Keyboard/Cover) to Scan and look at his tune and it was pretty slick with the pen and touch screen. I'm still using an old Asus that makes clicking noises. I have a Macbook Pro with Windows and HPT installed but I can't bring myself to getting it dirty.

Advanced Tuner
    While the Surface Pro devices are nicer in that they have a larger display (10.1" is a little on the small side), I wouldn't think that they wouldn't do very well at "standing up' on their own in the passenger seat, due to the "kickstand" they use. That is where the Asus T100 device really shines since the tablet acts just like a true laptop in that it's supported by the hinge in the keyboard dock and can be angled as needed as well. Although, it can also be "top heavy" though since the tablet is heavier than the keyboard dock...

Pros and cons, I guess - bigger display, but not as good for sitting on the passenger seat for scanning while driving (I'm assuming that I'm not the ony one that does that!).... Also, there is a HUGE price difference between a $1000+ Surface Pro device and a $200 Asus device! :-)

Personally, I haven't found much use for a WIndows-based tablet speaking strictly as a tablet (with no keyboard dock) - especially when the screen size is 10" or smaller - way too hard to use your fingers to control the device - an Android or Apple tablet is so much more useful as a tablet, in my opinion.
    Last edited by jtrosky; 01-31-2016 at 06:02 AM.

Tuner
    I'm using a asus laptop 2 in 1 flip and it's working awesome the touch screen is accurate
    Josh Performance Tuning (956)784-0059
    https://www.facebook.com/joshperformancetuning

Advanced Tuner
    It's not that the touch screen is inaccurate on my Asus T100 - it's just that the "hotspots" in the standard Windows interface (non-Metro) are much smaller than your fingertips - so it makes it kinda hard to use the device as a touch-only device - Windows just isn't geared towards finger-usage. And the selection of Windows "Metro" apps is very limited compared to Android or Apple iOS, so I just haven't found much use for a Windows touch-screen device in general. Beleve me - if I could use HPTuners on an Android tablet, I wouldn't even own a Windows tablet at all. I use the Asus strictly for HPTuners - nothing else. But it does make a great scanning/tuning device. When modifying tunes, I use a bluetooth mouse to actually edit the tunes. The Asus keyboard dock does provide a touchpad - so that can be used "on the go" as well (and works well).

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the responses guys. Like I said was just considering an inexpensive tablet just for some quick change tuning and minor logging. Obviously for doing a full tune front to back I will still just use my laptop, although it is a tad on the bulky side at times, not horrible but it's been a good unit. Was looking for a rather inexpensive tablet like I had mentioned about trying out the Dell Venue pro 8". Thru a search on the forum here I did end up seeing where someone was using one and got Hptuners to work just fine with it. Also in doing a search I had also come across a few things where guys could not get Hptuners to connect with the tablet but in those cases may have just been issues with getting the drivers installed right. The driver installation can fight people at times.
    Last edited by KLUG'S SS; 01-02-2016 at 02:54 PM.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Advanced Tuner
    If you spend more than $120 on the Dell 8" tablet, I'd highly recommend looking into the Asus T100. You can get them for under $200 brand new (and even less refurbished) - and you get a bigger screen (10.1") and a full keybaord dock (with full-size USB port, trackpad for precise cursor control, etc). It would be really difficult to modify a tune (or even review a scan file) on an 8" tablet with no keyboard or mouse control. Yes, it can be done, but not donw well (in my opinion).

For a few extra $$, the Asus T100 would be a *much* better tuning/scanning device. For about $180, you get the 10.1" tablet *and* the keyboard dock. It really is an excellent value and a great tuning device. Of course, you can also use it as a full laptop device as well - it runs full-blown Windows 10. So you really do get a lot for little $$$. There is no hard drive, but there is a MicroSD slot for additional storage as needed.

Just an FYI. While you *can* use an 8" Windows tablet for scanning/tuning, I think that there are much better options out there.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    If you spend more than $120 on the Dell 8" tablet, I'd highly recommend looking into the Asus T100. You can get them for under $200 brand new (and even less refurbished) - and you get a bigger screen (10.1") and a full keybaord dock (with full-size USB port, trackpad for precise cursor control, etc). It would be really difficult to modify a tune (or even review a scan file) on an 8" tablet with no keyboard or mouse control. Yes, it can be done, but not donw well (in my opinion).

For a few extra $$, the Asus T100 would be a *much* better tuning/scanning device. For about $180, you get the 10.1" tablet *and* the keyboard dock. It really is an excellent value and a great tuning device. Of course, you can also use it as a full laptop device as well - it runs full-blown Windows 10. So you really do get a lot for little $$$. There is no hard drive, but there is a MicroSD slot for additional storage as needed.

Just an FYI. While you *can* use an 8" Windows tablet for scanning/tuning, I think that there are much better options out there.

Yes sir I 100% completely agree with what you are saying!
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Potential Tuner
    Dell Venue 8 Pro 5000 Series
    Windows 10

Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Atom
    RAM 2 GB DDR3L SDRAM
    Memory Speed 1600 MHz
    Hard Drive 32 GB

Bluetooth Mouse or Active Stylus
    Make sure you get one with 2GB Ram

Pics below
    IMAG2668.jpg
    Screenshot (5).png
    2004 GTO - Longtubes and a Cam

Tuner in Training
    @jtrosky

How is the 1366x768 resolution on a 10" screen. Is it pretty blurry when looking at tables?

Advanced Tuner
    Absolutely not - not blurry at all. Since it's a only a 10" screen, it's a lot sharper that you'd think (some full size laptops use that resolution with a much larger screen without any blurryness). I have no problems editing tables with it - in fact I do all of my tuning with the T100 - don't even bother using a desktop or any other device.

I've been thoroughly impressed with the Asus T100 as a tuning device. Came from a full sized laptop and the T100 is just soooo much nicer to use for tuning! Battery life is awesome and just the size/portability factory is awesome.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome. I have an 8" win book tablet now and it works great but it's a tad small. And it would be nice to have the keyboard.

It think you've convinced me to pick up the t100. Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    The only "accessory" that I might recommend when doing tuning with the T100 while NOT in the car is an external mouse (I use a bluetooth mouse) - that makes it a little easier instead of using the trackpad on the keyboard dock. The trackpad works fine (just like a latpop trackpad), but I just prefer a real mouse if doing a lot of editing while at a desk or something. But the trackpad does work fine when making changes while in the car. I hardly ever actually use the touchscreen on the device - I use it like a regular laptop most of the time.

The device even automatically disables the trackpad when you connect an external mouse - and then re-enables it when you disconnect the mouse.

Like I siad, for the cost, it's hard to beat the T100. For ~$200 (or less), you get a full touchscreen Windows 10 "mini laptop".

Oh - I'd also recommend getting a MicroSD card to gie you more storage space at some point (not needed right away). They're cheap - nice to have a little more storage.

Potential Tuner
    So I am convinced after reading this I am going probably go with the Asus T100. However, the last post in this thread is from 2/2016. The way technology runs is the T100 the best tablet going still or is there an updated version already? Also where is the best place to purchase one of these? I do have an Amazon Prime account if that helps. Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    As far as I know, the T100 is still a current device. They do upgrade the processor in them as time goes on (there are many different "submodles" of the T100). Just make sure it has 2GB of RAM and a full sized USB port on the dock. Also, keep in mind that the screen is only 10.1" - so it *is* a small device. I find that it works fine for tuning, but I know that some others did not like the small screen aspect... For the price, it really is hard to beat. I haven't had any performance issues whatsoever while using HPTuners software on this device (the T100).

If you find that you don't like it, you can always return it (just make sure to buy from a vendor that allows returns without a "restocking" fee).

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the help. I am going to try to pick one up today.

Advanced Tuner
    @blue65 - curious to hear what you think of the Asus T100 for a tuning device - please post your thoughts.

Potential Tuner
    Well I got an RCA Cambio 10". I just could not resist the price. It was $90 from Walmart already had Windows 10 and the detachable keyboard like the T100. I will give it a try, should be here on Friday.