Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: AEM 30-0300 Wideband with direct CAN integration W/ VCMScanner. Need beta testers.

I just get rid of the gauges altogether and make the chart vs. time window take up the whole screen, it's easier for me that way

Anyways, try these. First one is basically what you had with two gauges changed to show WB data. #2 is more in the ballpark of how I'd do it, using charts instead of gauges. I didn't mess with any of the graphs in either

1.Layout.xml

2.Layout.xml
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    I just get rid of the gauges altogether and make the chart vs. time window take up the whole screen, it's easier for me that way

Anyways, try these. First one is basically what you had with two gauges changed to show WB data. #2 is more in the ballpark of how I'd do it, using charts instead of gauges. I didn't mess with any of the graphs in either

1.Layout.xml

2.Layout.xml
    Thanks! I'll give it a try asap.
    2010 Camaro SS 781rwhp
    TKR Stage 4 CTSV 6L90
    Circle D 258mm 3400 3B Pro Series Multi Disk
    Kooks Ceramic LT's & full 3in exhaust
    TFS GenX 255's (Polished PAC .660's and Ti-Retainers)
    TSP VVT 3.2 cam
    Smith Bro's trunnion kit
    AEM X-Series OBDII Wideband Gauges
    FIC ID1300x Injectors
    ZL1 Fuel Pump
    DSX Flex Fuel Kit / Auxiliary Fuel Pump Kit
    MM Camaro 5 Wild
    Holley Tall LS Valve Covers
    NGK Iridium IX #7
    HP Tuners MPVI2+
    ProCharger D1X @ 13psi

Potential Tuner
    I have the 30-0300 and hpt standard. non can vpw ecu (p12) 06 saturn ion redline.
    I believe I have the old guage firmware from what Ive read (it says can in the menu) But it seems like it doesnt matter as thats only for can people.
    I have wired up the serial port and I am am trying to get it logging with a usb to serial cable.
    When I add the serial port > aem eq channel (with or without transforms) it disappears from the list when I hit record.
    Ive seen lots of mentions of this problem but no real solutions I can find.
    Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Is a COM port showing up in device manager when it's connected?

If you have a pro interface I'd use the 0-5V out instead. It's faster than serial.

Potential Tuner
    Yes a com port shows up. and the settings all match the aem manual as far as baud rate and such.
    Im considering upgrading to pro, but its such a big price jump over If I just ordered it from the start. makes me mad
    I saw in another of your posts it disappears when it searches all com ports and finds no data, so Im going to double check my wiring and try using a com sniffer to see if there is actually data on there or not.

Yeah you should be able to use any kind of terminal program to see what's coming in that COM port.. that should narrow it down. The AEM data stream is super simple so it tends to work better than Innovate's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    Well I figured it out.
    the aem manual shows a "male end" when telling you where to connect the wires to what pins . So that is what I bought at radio shack a male end.
    I then bought a female ended usb to serial adapter.
    Apparently all/most female ended usb adapters use the "null modem" wiring although the description of the one I bought failed to mention this.
    The only difference is pins 2 and 3 are switched. So I moved my serial pin (2) over to 3 and it works right away.
    Unrelated / Next issue.. the lambda shows up as 10.60 instead of 1.060...
    Is there something I have wrong? I just added a transform with /10 as a simple fix but hopefully that doesnt throw off other calculations or anything.

Advanced Tuner
    The decimal point error is a known issue with the serial output, when in lambda mode. Dividing by 10 will get you the right value.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    The decimal point error is a known issue with the serial output, when in lambda mode. Dividing by 10 will get you the right value.
    Mike.. this might be off topic a little but I have the 30-0311 and 30-0333 OBDII gauges mounted in a piller. I could never download a tune using HPT or reliably scan when both gauges were connected to the CAN. Tried short daisy chaining the CAN signals from one gauge to the other within the pillar and running a single cable to the port under the dash, tried separate cables to the port, shielded them, ran twisted pairs....nothing helps. I had to add a switch to break 12v power to the 30-0311 which works but that shuts down the gauge when connected to HPT. Signals look clean on the scope so it does not look like noise to me.

I also purchased the 30-0311 the week AEM released it so not sure if there's a firmware upgrade to help this, along with making more PIDs available for display. Tech support said if a PID isn't displayed, then it's not available from OBD but I find it hard to believe simple ECT is not available. It's a late model (2012) E38 ECM

Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Last edited by NJ_Phil; 07-19-2017 at 06:52 AM. Reason: typo
    2012 C6 Base, Kooks 1-7/8" LT, Catted, NPP
    Novi 1500SL, 10% OD IW, Big Blower Cam, Flip Drive, 2x Alky, ID1000
    Nitto NT05R 305x19, 255x18 on CCW T10s
    Self built and tuned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kod2UTqrVwM

Advanced Tuner
    I don't know too much about the 30-0311 gauge. But, just thinking about it, it is, basically, a scanner that is constantly running, making PID requests. So, it would, probably, be bad to have it running, while trying to re-flash.

I've up-loaded my tunes with 2 AEM widebands connected to the OBDII port. No issues as of yet.
    2010 Camaro SS 781rwhp
    TKR Stage 4 CTSV 6L90
    Circle D 258mm 3400 3B Pro Series Multi Disk
    Kooks Ceramic LT's & full 3in exhaust
    TFS GenX 255's (Polished PAC .660's and Ti-Retainers)
    TSP VVT 3.2 cam
    Smith Bro's trunnion kit
    AEM X-Series OBDII Wideband Gauges
    FIC ID1300x Injectors
    ZL1 Fuel Pump
    DSX Flex Fuel Kit / Auxiliary Fuel Pump Kit
    MM Camaro 5 Wild
    Holley Tall LS Valve Covers
    NGK Iridium IX #7
    HP Tuners MPVI2+
    ProCharger D1X @ 13psi

Quote Originally Posted by NJ_Phil View Post
    Mike.. this might be off topic a little but I have the 30-0311 and 30-0333 OBDII gauges mounted in a piller. I could never download a tune using HPT or reliably scan when both gauges were connected to the CAN. Tried short daisy chaining the CAN signals from one gauge to the other within the pillar and running a single cable to the port under the dash, tried separate cables to the port, shielded them, ran twisted pairs....nothing helps. I had to add a switch to break 12v power to the 30-0311 which works but that shuts down the gauge when connected to HPT. Signals look clean on the scope so it does not look like noise to me.

I also purchased the 30-0311 the week AEM released it so not sure if there's a firmware upgrade to help this, along with making more PIDs available for display. Tech support said if a PID isn't displayed, then it's not available from OBD but I find it hard to believe simple ECT is not available. It's a late model (2012) E38 ECM

Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks
    It's weird you bring up the ECT thing... I build a stand alone PID monitor with things like IAT, AEM AFR, Knock, on a 4x20LCD on my dash. I notice the only PID that reports very slow is ECT, noticed it is slow to respond, takes 5-10 seconds to get a value from it... figure since the engine doesn't change temp rapidly there's no reason to send data very often. It only acts weird when certain other PIDs are being requested, if I poll it by itself it is usually pretty quick. I think it would be something HPT could look into.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Quote Originally Posted by John_C View Post
    I've up-loaded my tunes with 2 AEM widebands connected to the OBDII port. No issues as of yet.
    That might be a little different since the WB controller only responds to CAN requests while the OBD2 gauge issues requests which don't play nice with the scanner.
    Not even sure if CAN supports multiple masters like SPI or IC2 but I'll just disconnect VPP to the gauge when scanning. Just thought there might be a quick fix or maybe a firmware upgrade for it

Advanced Tuner
    The 30-0333 widebands dont speak unless spoken to. So, they should be fine to leave on, while flashing.

CAN supports an arbitrary number of nodes. It doesn't have a concept of master/slave. But, at the OBDII level there are nodes that only respond to requests. And, nodes that make requests. USUALLY there is only one node making requests. But, two, or more, can live in harmony. In the case of flashing, I assume that the interface requires a "quiet bus" so that the upload is not confused by random traffic.

As for a firmware update for the 30-0311. It would need some way to know when to "shut up". Maybe there is some way.

Tuner in Training
    I completely disappointed in the 30-0333 wideband. Its accuracy is very poor....

-0333 has been fine to leave on for flashing and haven't had any issues with it for over a year now. Lines up perfectly with narrowbands and a PLX I compared to, it has been very consistent for me
    Last edited by schpenxel; 07-21-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Just to clarify, the 30-0333 WB OBD gauge has always worked great and stays connected during tuning and scanning. No issues with that one.
    I was asking if there was a way to keep the 30-0311 OBD gauge connected while scanning. It's handy to see trims or timing right there on the pillar while the scanner is running.

Sounds like that's not possible, so I'll just continue to switch the gauge off when the scanner is connected.

Thanks guys..

Advanced Tuner
    I THINK its may be ok to leave the 30-0311 on while scanning. But not during flashing ? Their may be some confusion if the scanner and gauge make the same PID requst and each see 2 responses, where they expect 1. Not sure.

I completely disappointed in the 30-0333 wideband. Its accuracy is very poor....
    Compared to what? I have tested these with calibrated test gas and gotten +/- 0.001 to +/- 0.002 lambda results. Nothing else I tested was close to that.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.mike View Post
    Compared to what? I have tested these with calibrated test gas and gotten +/- 0.001 to +/- 0.002 lambda results. Nothing else I tested was close to that.
    MAF tune with the AEM 30-0300 (OL tune), and LTFT was in the range of -9 / -11%. MAF tune with my AFM1500 and LTFT was in the range 0 / -2%. The tune conditions with AEM and AFM1500 were the same.
    It is very inconvenient to work with the AFM1500 using EfiLive. Since the support for a COM-port connection for the AFM1500 is still not present in HPTuners. So I wanted to try to work with 30-0300. But the experiment was unsuccessful.

Advanced Tuner
    Between the AFM1500 and the 30-0333, I'd tend to trust the 30-0333 more.

1. The AFM1500 uses the NTK sensor which without a pressure compensation sensor, is less accurate than the Bosch sensor. And, I have tested this myself.

2. The 30-0333 uses a lossless digital data transfer in OBDII mode. So, there are no offset/scaling issues.

3. The 30-0333/30-0300 is almost an order of magnitude faster to respond than any system using the NTK sensors ( AFM1500 ~ <150ms AEM X-series <20ms ). So, any transition readings will favor the 30-0333/30-0300

4. The AF1500, like the AFM1000,has a single-ended analog output. So, standard ground offset errors apply. The 30-0333/30-0300 have active differential ground offset compensation on their analog outputs. Which is why you MUST connect the brown wire to the scanner ground.

5. The AFM1500 relies on free-air calibration. This introduces, not only user/human error. But, also exhaust gas pressure error. As the exhaust gas pressure is not the same as atmospheric pressure. Which is why they have the gas pressure sensor version. "LambdaCANp". The Bosch sensors are factory calibrated at a couple of PSI backpressure. And are about 4X less sensitive to pressure error.