Thread: Early vs late 04 tuning differences.

Advanced Tuner

Early vs late 04 tuning differences.

Working on a early 04 and looking for any advice or things to watch for on a early truck. Have only done 06 and up trucks with efilive so far.

Thanks!

Watch pilot timing....be sure your logging as stock pilot can get crazy
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    HP Tuners BETA Tester for 2003-2005 Cummins
    [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Watch pilot timing? I found that main timing seemed to change when i made a rail pressure adjustment? I stopped for the night to review changes because things seemed to start going very strange?

Advanced Tuner
    I really appreciate your input Les! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by superwagon View Post
    Watch pilot timing? I found that main timing seemed to change when i made a rail pressure adjustment? I stopped for the night to review changes because things seemed to start going very strange?
    Main timing changed with pressure adjustments....

When you adjust pressure, your commanded mm3 will change then,,which does affect main timing.
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    I will review my log but i was seeing like 12* of timing at cruise in a area that i had not changed rail, duration or timing. Is there some sort of guideline for safe timing percentage at WOT with the reentrant pistons vs later non reentrant?

Thank you

I will review my log but i was seeing like 12* of timing at cruise in a area that i had not changed rail, duration or timing. Is there some sort of guideline for safe timing percentage at WOT with the reentrant pistons vs later non reentrant?

Thank you
    Your following another post on a different forum....lol

As for you 12* at cruising...was that desired or not?
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    [email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    I just now came across the thread in that other forum lol! I was like awesome! This should apply to my questions over here. I am finding that the values in the channels table might not be the same as they are when setting up the gauge and reviewing. I think it was actual main timing that was higher than commanded. I noticed this cruising at 2k rpm, commanded 15mm3, 10k RP, and main timing reporting 15*. In that part of the tune my RP is stock, duration is stock, timing is stock?

I just now came across the thread in that other forum lol! I was like awesome! This should apply to my questions over here. I am finding that the values in the channels table might not be the same as they are when setting up the gauge and reviewing. I think it was actual main timing that was higher than commanded. I noticed this cruising at 2k rpm, commanded 15mm3, 10k RP, and main timing reporting 15*. In that part of the tune my RP is stock, duration is stock, timing is stock?
    Can you show us your stock tune and modified tune please?

Advanced Tuner
    I am not prepared to post up anything modified at this time. I'm trying to figure everything out in hptuners and i really don't have much to show at this time anyway.