Thread: 5.3 ps1c run problems help and ideas

Potential Tuner carsoncustombodyshop's Avatar

5.3 ps1c run problems help and ideas

Ok here is the story. I have paid a person to set it up and tune it. He never got it going paid in advance. Surprise! I have bought a hp tuner and started leaning. I would like a person to look over my tune and give advise. I have set it up with sd and 2 bar. When 2 bar map is in it starts runs for a few min with intercooler tube off and dies. If u put the intercooler tube back on it runs till it sees boost then dies after. After it does there is no throttle movement. Cycle the key a couple time it works again. If I remove and put the 1bar in it starts runs fat. When it hit boost it cuts out, which I understand its cause it does not read over 105 on the map. Running a drive by wire 2004 computer and harness on a 2000 5,3. Motor spec are 5.3, cam 228/230 .580 113 lobe separation of the top of my head. Headers 2.5 with x pipe magnaflows.Stock heads and all internals. 43lb green svo injectors on 60lb fuel pressure. From my understanding they figure to be about 60 lb setting on the hp tuner. PS1C procharger 8 psi with very large intercooler. I believe the 2 bar map is a piece.

Justin SWB 02 V8 2BAR.hpt

bump

help anybody

Tuner in Training
    hello, looking at your tune, first thing is at general put 5.3 instead of 4.8, you ve tables are super low... glad your timing is set to 8 or it would already blown, your torque management is not disabled , put 640 instead of 300 on max torque.

here is the tune of a camaro with vortech v9 and 273xer cam so you can compare a few things, but is on 3 bars... 513 whp @8psi, we are using this tune with a gt45 turbo and is working fine, but no dyno yet with it... hope it helps, and get a wideband , it is a must before trying to tune anything
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey thanks for the help. I was looking over my ve tables, mine starts at 30 and jumps by 10s yr starts at 15 jumps by 5s till 105 then by 10s. When I copy and past it does not make a ve table like your. That's some of my problem. I went back and looked over my 5.3 and 4.8. Doesn't 0.66594 come out to 5.3? I looked over my 5.3 files and that's what they show. I also see the timing table way low that with the ve tables would be a big problem. I was keeping my torque management down to help save a stock 4l60. Do I need to turn them up while just trying to get it to run?

There are bigger problems than that. The Injector data could be all wrong unless you have modified the stock fuel system. You should have a pressure referenced fuel system in that setup which means you use only the 0 kPa values for IFR and Offset and carry them across the entire table. Wit FI, the PE enrichment should be more like 1.25/1,27 (.75/.77 lambda), Also, update the Boost enrichment table with the same values. This isn't as big a deal as the PCM will use the richest of the PE/Boost PE values.

Also, set the P0101-0103 DTC's to Mil on first error and check the SES just to make sure you are failing over into Speed Density.

Yes while it says 4.8 your cyl vol is correct for a 5.3

Try those and see if it gets better

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    so... any progress?

Just got back to working on it. The brand new laptop went south. Andrez28 I did set my tune to match the one you sent. It will not start on that tune. it hits and acts like it will run but soon dies. The vats are off too. I will look into mowton info. The fuel system is stock other than injectors and pump. I'm at the point on this build I want to hear it run with out spending any more.

Tuner in Training
    send me the tune you just did to check it out

It will start but will not idle on this file. So far the best of luck on this one. I don't understand why its pulling timing so high when I have it set to be around 20. It will also die like you shut the key off. Here are some logs and the tune file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    check your injectors data,there are a few things a lot different than they should be, and looking at you log you must look for a vaccum leak or something, it is at 90kpa at idle, it should be at 40s or at least 60s with your cam , start with that, what map sensor are you using, dont tell me it is chinese crap?
    Last edited by andresz28; 03-28-2016 at 01:23 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    If this is a 5.3, you need to change the tune to be that. You have it set as a 4.8. Trying to tune a motor that the PCM thinks is a half liter smaller, is gonna be a big F'n problem.

I have no vacuum leaks. When it was on 1 bar it would idle and would die as soon as u gave it throttle. I am having problems with hp tuners software now. Don't think the 2 bar took. They wanted me to update to 3.0 and now it wants me to re lic the ecm again. I'm running a 2 bar off a gtp supercharged 3.8. I have two and they both read the same. I even did a vac gauge while running 5 lb vac was max at about 1800. So Andresz28 what do u not like on the injector data? Also I know in carb cars if the timing and fuel don't come together right u don't have good vac. Is my timing out of spec in ur mind?

Advanced Tuner
    Did you retune with the settings for a 5.3? I didn't just post for the count, you're set up for a 4.8, not a 5.3. If you dont care, keep chasing your tail, but thats a big friggin deal and will throw off everything.

Update to 3.0 and when it says relicense just say yes, it wont use any more credits. I figured that out after a week with customer support not really doing that.

Tuner in Training
    im telling you, the only times I have seen a map behave like that , is when you have a big vacuum leake, take the intake manifold out and recheck the orings, and install it again and test it, it is not difficult and should only take you like half an hour, and set it for 5.3

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by andresz28 View Post
    im telling you, the only times I have seen a map behave like that , is when you have a big vacuum leake, take the intake manifold out and recheck the orings, and install it again and test it, it is not difficult and should only take you like half an hour, and set it for 5.3
    Agreed with everything here. Maybe things are fixed now, but these are the big two that I see as an issue.