Thread: Flashing a blank reman ECM questions

Tuner in Training

Flashing a blank reman ECM questions

I plan to help a friend out with flashing a new blank GM re-manufactured ecm in his 2003 Corvette. I've never done this before so I want to inquire more about the process.

My friend apparently took the ecm from his '03 Corvette, sent it to a GM ecm supplier and had a new (separate) ecm built based on his original. This Corvette is also supercharged and was tuned by another shop. Looking at the current tune, it appears to have a custom 2bar OS. I've never uploaded a custom OS in HPT before, but I assume you have to disable the VATS system in order to do so? I say that because I don't see any options to enable or disable the VATS system under this ecm OS tab. In fact, the tab is completely blank when opened.

Assuming the VATS system is disabled with the custom OS. Do I just install the new reman ecm and Write Entire the tune to the new reman ecm? With Write Entire, that would change/update the VIN code of the new reman ecm? If it's that easy then great! I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything or accidentally brick the new reman ecm.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide me!

-Shane
    Last edited by camONLYls1; 03-03-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I tried reading the tune off of the reman ecm today. When I opted to read the tune, it asked for a VIN number, so I put the in the VIN of original '03 Corvette. Once the read was over, the VIN was still blank (showed all YYY's) and HPT asked if I wanted to license the new VIN. Do I just need to license the new blank VIN, then Write Entire the original tune onto the reman ecm? I want to double check before I pay another $100 for a license.

Senior Tuner
    You sure a single vin license is an option? Wouldn't be surprised if HPT required a model year license with an invalid vin. Unless something changed with 3.0, you always had to have a license for what was in the PCM and what you were writing to it. I know 2.25 handled licensing VIN/OS mismatches differently than 2.24. Not sure how it handles invalid vins. Also many reman PCMs have yyyyyyyyyys for the VCM IDs which required full MY licenses to flash.

Tuner in Training
    I'm not sure that I can do it with 1 license. That's what I'm trying to figure out still. So your understanding is that I'll need to purchase the entire model year in order to flash the reman computer? I really don't want to do that... maybe it will be cheaper to have a GM dealer flash the new vin on the reman ecm and then I can just calibrate it?

Tuner in Training
    Anyone else know exactly what I need to do?

Tuner in Training
    Can you flash it with GM TIS? This way you will have VIN written in PCM.

Tuner in Training
    I'm not sure what a GM TIS exactly is and certainly don't have access to one or know how to use one. Is there no way I can do this with just HPTuners, without buying a model year license?

You'll need to program a factory calibration file in it first. You'll either have to take it to a GM dealership, (most likely installed in the car) or if you know someone or an independent shop with a J2534 interface you can program it without the dealership. acdelcotds.com is the website for access to factory programming.