Thread: OS change, credits, interface questions

Potential Tuner

OS change, credits, interface questions

Kinda lumping a few different topics in here...

I am trying to do a friend a favor and make some changes to his PCM. I already own a VCM Suite (Pro), he owns a standard VCM Suite with 8 credits on it. What I want to do is use his interface and credits so I don't have to burn mine and he won't have to burn his in the future when he's ready to get his feet wet. Since I already have the software on my computer (2.24) what do I need to do to activate his interface? Do I need to install the disc that came with his VCM Suite so I can enter the activation key? Is there a way to "switch" to using a different MPVI with my already loaded software?

The PCM I'm working with is a '00 Truck PCM (9354896) and I want to reflash it with a stock LS1 Camaro tune. Does that necessitate an operating system change? Is it as "simple" as doing a full flash (not just a calibration flash)? Is there a chance that I wouldn't have to do the full flash? If I get a tune from the repository, will it contain the OS info?

I'm assuming that this is at least a 2 credit and probably a 4 credit ordeal - 2 for the truck PCM and 2 for "new" Camaro tune?

Thanks for any advice or help! If I need to move this to another section of the forum, let me know.

Ryan
    Last edited by Ryan S; 03-28-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I have not do it before....but it is my understanding that all the credits reside on the device. I believe the software key only unlocks the software. If you read and unlock with his device it should do exactly what you want it to do. You shouldn't have to change your software at all I think.

Potential Tuner
    I tried using his device and my software and I get a "invalid cable ID" message. I did try to load his software and get a pop up saying that a "newer version of this software is already installed, uninstall before continuing" type message. Just didn't want to go through the process if I didn't have to. I emailed HP about this last week but have yet to hear anything back.

Anybody have any input on the truck PCM OS question?

Potential Tuner
    Heard back from tech support - using a different MPVI is as simple as entering the new application key under the "license" info tab. Tried it, it worked.