Thread: ZL1 Pulley ... No gain ...???

Tuner in Training

ZL1 Pulley ... No gain ...???

I've tuned a ZL1 on ID850/E55 a few month ago.
    Then add a 2.55 pulley, E74.

Timing is 23 to 26, Lamba 0.75 steady 12PSI boost ...

results ... WTF ??? no gain ? How it is possible? I'm scratching my head for hours ...

PULLEYLOG2.hpl

Timing, AFR are okay ... but no improvement with the Pulley ....
    Last edited by ChargerFan1; 04-04-2016 at 06:21 PM.

Tuning Addict
    What's it do with about 4 to 5 degrees pulled out?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Couple things I see...

You're commanding .74 then go to .71 at 5k rpm. That's a little rich and you generally want to lean out the top end, not richen it up more. The weird thing is that your PLX is reading a super steady 12.80? It's weird that it's that steady and it's also weird that it's reading 12.80 when you're commanding 10.5 to 10.9. I'b betting that your mixtures aren't what you think they are. Log your narrowbands so we can see what they are reading. Also, can you get an external (tailpipe) wideband reading when you're at that dyno?

You also want ignition timing to climb with rpm, not drop or even stay steady. Take a few degrees out of the middle and let the timing climb to a peak of 24-26 degrees.

IN GENERAL, high torque numbers with low hp numbers means the engine is having a hard time making power. In other words, it's not "efficient" (used as a relative term). Those numbers are telling me that engine isn't happy with how it's running and it CAN be better.
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

Tuner in Training
    This was a quick tune because I'm installing headers and wanted to do a before/after headers.
    So yes I have rapped PE table, the PLX is not installed, I've used the WB dyno (not hooked to hptuners), 0.75 lambda flat, so don't focus an afr/lambda

I've used the scanner and begin with -5 degree overall, I was 20 hp less on the whole table (minus the bump at the beginning).
    so yes, I was got too much timing from 2000-3000 ... but the hp level didn't grow up in the whole range.

I'm very surprised how the curbs looked very similar
    Last edited by ChargerFan1; 04-05-2016 at 01:07 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Looks like it started making alot more boost... and then belt slip?
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannySShifting View Post
    Looks like it started making alot more boost... and then belt slip?
    The log that he posted showed no belt slip, the boost level looked fine. The log didn't jive with the dyno chart with the hump though, maybe that one was a different log? That doesn't even make sense because the fuel cutoff in the attached log was at 6500, which does jive with the dyno trace with the hump. I think it's a trick!
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz

How much more MAP KPA or Airflow have you gained with new pulley? Can you post both logs, before pulley and after pulley?

Regarding the additional power down low, looks like something was working right for a minute...

And, could you have Rich After Flash occuring? THis shows -18% fuel being pulled at idle before entering PE, prob unrelated.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 04-07-2016 at 02:20 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner in Training
    Logs are in the first post.
    12 psi steady.
    9 before. (i haven t saved the logs).

I think there is too much timing in the wot transition. I will try different combos on the dyno with the arh headers.

Are the stock headers a restriction at this power level?

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerFan1 View Post
    Logs are in the first post.
    12 psi steady.
    9 before. (i haven t saved the logs).

I think there is too much timing in the wot transition. I will try different combos on the dyno with the arh headers.

Are the stock headers a restriction at this power level?
    I have your first log, was hoping to compare boost, AIRFLOW, timing, injector, etc to the before pulley log. You should also be able to see if you have a header restriction from comparing logs, but that should not net 0hp difference.

Actually just noticed you dont have Injector Pulse or AFR connected or logged, so it would be very helpful to add those, then go make a WOT run, then could you put the stock pulley back on and make another WOT run? Post both of those files.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 04-07-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    I have your first log, was hoping to compare boost, AIRFLOW, timing, injector, etc to the before pulley log. You should also be able to see if you have a header restriction from comparing logs, but that should not net 0hp difference.
    If you have a massive restriction in our exhause then it's possible you could have more BOost pressure but no more airflow... which I highly doubt happened.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner in Training
    yes unfortunately it was a quick tune to compare before/after headers.

Injectors IDC were 75% before Pulley and 85% after (wanted to see if the pump pump would be enough).